Samsung Galaxy Unpacked 2015 - MWC Galaxy S6/S6 Edge and Samsung Pay converage and discussion

Aniallation

For my real response now;

Good for Samsung for finally putting work into the design. The bottom especially erm... evokes the iPhone 6 a bit, but I'm glad plastic days are over.

Samsung pay is genuinely interesting; using it in any card terminal is pretty cool, but to have a proprietary payment system on an open OS used by so many manufacturers is a poor choice.

The non-removeable back and lack of a MicroSD card slot seem to... again... take cues from Apple, but seem to also slap every Android fanboy who touts 'we can change the backs! We can expand storage!' in the face.

The new Touchwiz changes are nice, but IMO everyone just needs to stick to the default Google launcher and system skin.

Camera looks interesting, I hate that it's in the center but oh well.

Wireless charging looks cool, I assume it's not included though. But glad they added it. Do we know if it's Qi? Or is it proprietary?

I'm not a fan of Samsung (surprise!), but I'm glad they're taking steps to make better devices. Even if that means some pretty shamelessly 'inspired' design choices.

Thanks for that, but chances are if posted it'll just get merged into the other S6 thread -.-  Can let VS find out for himself.

That's why i posted the thing in both threads, they were both formatted spectacularly, and i didn't know which one was the newest :P

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

Source: Myself

Aw man I missed it!!! 

Thanks so much for the pics though :) Looks like a great device, but really questioning the non-removable battery. Not cause of carrying around a spare battery or anything, but I liked the ability of the S5 where compared to it's competitors you could easily replace the battery in the future if the original starts to lose it's juice-carrying capability. 

Desktop: Intel Core i5 2380P (2400 w/o iGPU), MSI H61, 8GB RAM, 256GB SP610, 500GB WD Blue, HIS R9 280, Antec TruePower Classic 550W, Inwin MANA 134, QNIX QX2710, CM QuickFire Rapid, Logitech G402

Laptop: Toshiba Satellite L40D, AMD A6-6310, 6GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Radeon R4 Graphics, 14" 1366x768

Phone: iPhone 6 Space Gray 64GB, T-Mobile $60/mo 3GB plan

dat x99 phone tho

Actually pretty impressed with the S6. Wbu?

Wireless charging looks cool, I assume it's not included though. But glad they added it. Do we know if it's Qi? Or is it proprietary?

It is included. Not sure about the charger, but the phone has it built in unlike previous Samsung phones which required a replacement back.

It supports both Qi and PMA.

It works with both Qi and PMA. 

PMA being what you see in some AT&T phones such as their variant of the LG G3, and those old Duracell Powermat things. 

"Rawr XD"

It is included. Not sure about the charger, but the phone has it built in unlike previous Samsung phones which required a replacement back.

It supports both Qi and PMA.

It works with both Qi and PMA. 

PMA being what you see in some AT&T phones such as their variant of the LG G3, and those old Duracell Powermat things. 

Ah, ok; and by 'included,' I meant the mat; not the actual chip. Of course that's included :D

The new Touchwiz changes are nice, but IMO everyone just needs to stick to the default Google launcher and system skin.

If everyone used stock Android I'd never buy another Android phone. I've had devices with stock Android before and I do not like it.

Specs wise there is actually a change from s5 ....s4 to s5 was terrible but then i have an s4 and i think its terrible So....

They should uave stayed with a 1080p screen though, a really nice 1080p screen and longer battery life is just better then 1440p screen...

Hi!  Please quote me in replies otherwise I may not see your response!

What is with that camera bulge... it looks like a giant cyst.

OPO kicks the crap out of the S5, and I don't even like the OPO that much. 

Also, top posting skills OP. An hour out doesn't need a thread in Tech News. Its already old news. A thread already exists that covers this information in full. We don't need Samsungs official word to have another thread. 

I'd say they're on par, once you removed Touchwiz that is... Even with Touchwiz I never ran into performance or lagging issues like a lot of people complained about. But I do find the OPO has a more premium feel for the price they're selling it for. Spec wise they're essentially the same.

same with battery life. 

Samsung ditched USB 3.0 a while ago. My Note 3 has it, but Note 4 and S5 don't. There's no real benefit to it. 

Samsung ditched USB 3.0 after they released the S5. But yeah it didn't really make much difference.

Anyway, personally I think the S6 edge looks nice. But I think I'll hold off until they announce the Note 5.

Very nice phone however I predict a very high price tag.

I'm going to get a Oppo Find 7 for my next phone as I broke my Nexus :(

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

I'd say they're on par, once you removed Touchwiz that is... Even with Touchwiz I never ran into performance or lagging issues like a lot of people complained about. But I do find the OPO has a more premium feel for the price they're selling it for. Spec wise they're essentially the same. same with battery life. 

The OPO has solid battery life, definitely better then the S5 I would say. However with the S5 it had benefits over the OPO in that it was waterproof, had a removable battery, and had a MicroSD slot. Now that those are gone I don't exactly see a compelling reason to buy the S6 for the price tag that it'll be released with

It's going to be around the release price of the past few Galaxy S generations. $650-750 off contract. Eeh

Specs wise there is actually a change from s5 ....s4 to s5 was terrible but then i have an s4 and i think its terrible So....

They should uave stayed with a 1080p screen though, a really nice 1080p screen and longer battery life is just better then 1440p screen...

I agree. People whine about HTC sticking with a 1080p screen in the M9, but in reality, they improved the colors and viewing angles and that's much more noticeable on a 5" screen then 1440p. Not to mention the reduction in performance and battery life when going with 1440p.

S5 isn't that terrible actually. It works really well out of the box. The same I definitely can not say for the S4 however.

If everyone used stock Android I'd never buy another Android phone. I've had devices with stock Android before and I do not like it.

Also agree. I used to be a big person for stock Android back in the day of the S3/S4 where TouchWiz sucked and Sense 4 didn't have anything interesting to change the game. Nowadays I actually do prefer skinned Android, as long as I'm still able to root and mod to an extent. With the S5 TouchWiz improved dramatically, same with Sense 5 from HTC's end.

"Rawr XD"

Seems interesting, hate the overall feel of touchwhiz or whatever Samsung calls it.

Overall, meh

I don't mind it, if only it didn't still sound like water for some reason.

Why the glass back?  I already feel bad for the people who are going to shatter their new phones as soon as they buy them.

Going a step backwards tbh, Apple tried it with the iPhone 4/4S and ditched it, Google/LG tried with the Nexus 4 and ditched it, same recurring problem, so many shattered backs. IMO if you're going to make a non-removable back might as well make it something that's durable, HTC is going in the right direction. I don't know where Sony is expecting to go with their glass backs though O.o 

"Rawr XD"

Am I the only one that doesn't care about the Samsung Galaxy at all? I think it's a horrible phone after I got my hands on a OnePlus One compared to the S5.

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH THIS!!!!!!!

[Case Mod] Operation: The Division --- > Here

[CUSTOM WATER COOLED TABLE] Project: Ravage ---> Here

-== QUOTE ME IN YOUR REPLY IF YOU WANT ME TO RESPOND ==-

I'm going to get a Oppo Find 7 for my next phone as I broke my Nexus :(

I actually forgot about Oppo for the past while. Hope they come up with something interesting to catch our eyes again. Recently they haven't made anything particularly spectacular. 

"Rawr XD"

The HTC One M9 is better than this IMO. Sure its not much of a difference from the M8, but that design was already fantastic. Its downfalls were the slippery edges and the crappy ultrapixel back camera. And all of those issues were resolved with the m9

I agree. The glass backing on the S6 tbh is a step backwards. Apple and Google/LG already taught us that it's a failed concept. I don't see how Samsung is going to do it any better, even if it is Gorilla Glass 4 on the back. Not to mention the front-facing speakers and MicroSD slot that you'll get with the M9. 

"Rawr XD"

I don't like Samsung but I have to say, Good for them this time :)

Better build quality by far than last time.

How can you tell without holding the device?

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

How can you tell without holding the device?

It most likely will be. If they can't make a sealed phone with a metal frame that feels more solidly built then a phone with a removable back and plastic frame, then they'll have some issues :P

"Rawr XD"

S5 isn't that terrible actually. It works really well out of the box. The same I definitely can not say for the S4 however.

Fair enough i have no experiance with the S5 it was more of a comment on spec changes from the S4 to S5. Im currently on my 3rd S4 all warrently replacements, i say this also nowing i need to send if off again for replacment due to a small fire issue this S4 batch has....brillient.

Fair enough i have no experiance with the S5 it was more of a comment on spec changes from the S4 to S5. Im currently on my 3rd S4 all warrently replacements, i say this also nowing i need to send if off again for replacment due to a small fire issue this S4 batch has....brillient.

S4 was horrible to use out of the box. I don't know what Samsung did with the software on it, but from the initial Jelly Bean 4.2 release up until the latest 4.4 KitKat, it's just so slow and it stutters so much. Put a more optimized ROM like CyanogenMod onto it and it's a night and day difference. 

The only hardware problem I had with my S4 was the SIM card reader. Samsung wouldn't fix it as it was out of warranty, so since it was out of warranty anyways I took it apart and fixed it myself. Super easy and cheap. $15 for the part and not even 10 minutes to swap it out.

"Rawr XD"

I love this design!!! aluminum in the middle and glass for the front and back its the reason i loved my iphone 4 so much!! the glass is actually incredibly strong and u get that premium feel with a nice bit of weight, unlike my iphone 5 which felt cheap had no weight to it at all and chipped extremely easily. 

Am I the only one who thinks the S6 Edge looks really sharp?

I would certainly consider one to replace my S4 when my contract is up in a few months.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Put a more optimized ROM like CyanogenMod onto it and it's a night and day difference.

This is my plan once the warrently runs out, rooot time! :D