Samsung Galaxy Unpacked 2015 - MWC Galaxy S6/S6 Edge and Samsung Pay converage and discussion

Aniallation

X2x4oz8.png

Linus Tech Tips forum discussion thread on Galaxy Unpacked 2015

Discuss all post-release content of this year's Galaxy Unpacked here! Including the Galaxy S6, S6 Edge, and Samsung Pay.

Contribution towards this OP by myself as well as awesome forum news reporter Victorious Secret - Original thread located here

cL7kdzZ.png?1

brThjGj.png?1

OhZQsYV.png?1

Znmj1W3.png?1

hxlTDtN.png?1

Full Specs:

UyJW5SB.png

Missed the live stream? Watch the official replay here!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVk3ZWrhHxc

My personal coverage of the event:

Update 1: Holy crap the crowd O_o

W5M36tq.png

"I may not be the best public speaker, because my first language is engineering" -JK Shin

svmbkQt.png

hIJxBTA.png

Update 2: HYPE

JIEfxHS.png

OHMBcz2.png

Pu7ugAX.png

Update 3: Samsung Pay - competitor to Apple Pay, Samsung partners with the likes of VISA and MasterCard

sOnUHGL.png

Update 4: Along with regular gold, silver, and black/gray, there are also dark green and light blue color options

"It takes 800 degrees of heat to curve the glass"

Lv5W13J.png

gLzZ26U.png

bAMLl2z.png

Update 5: Gorilla Glass 4 and "special metal" frame, 50% stronger claimed

eXafiTh.png

Update 6: Samsung is really stepping up their game with TouchWiz, making it smoother to use and easier to understand

nuByz6J.png

RJTRnAj.png

Update 6: So that's what the edge is for, slide-in contacts and glows when it's face down

mnA9N9R.png

GVjI3Jj.png

Update 7: Hardware! 14nm SOC gives 20% more performance with 35% better power efficiency. Faster NAND flash, DDR4 RAM, and a 1440p display

Orb3AUP.png

BtCXekO.png

dXPqimZ.png

7CtQSVq.png

Gear VR anyone?

vJ5HkAt.png

Battery life? You'll need it with the built in ​non-removable battery.

iqX0AZt.png

10 minutes charging for 4 hours of "average" use

2NkNGPv.png

Both Qi and PowerMat wireless charging

eNijyEL.png

Update 8: Camera - F1.9, Real-time HDR, and low light mode on both front and rear cameras - 0.7 seconds from screen off to picture taken by double-tapping home button

g8hVFTN.png

SHOTS FIRED

0c6E0Iq.png

hr3N2jn.png

Update 9: much bank, such card, very pay, wow

B9TZnZH.png

Update 10: That's all, folks! Get your wallets ready for April 10th!

aM4Xa4Q.png

Coverage of the event by The Verge:

DSC_2492.jpg

"These are the most advanced smartphones in the world. With capabilities no other phone can match."

DSC_2509.jpg

Samsung Pay (hah, where have we heard that branding before?) announced too. Samsung has partnered up with MasterCard and VISA.

DSC_2573.jpg

You can assign contacts to colours with the S6 Edge. This is truly the future, ladies and gentlemen. This is also how Fast And Furious crosses over into the mobile industry. Rice rice baby. 

DSC_2587.jpg

Those are some nice performance gains, maybe @patrickjp93 can comment on the 14nm business and if its actually 14nm. 

DSC_2593.jpg

77% more pixels than the S5, 577ppi, new Gear Innovator as shown below. 

DSC_2598.jpg

DSC_2603.jpg

DSC_2621.jpg

f/1.9 lens front and back for the camera

DSC_2652.jpg

DSC_2612.jpg

DSC_2606.jpg

DSC_2561.jpg

DSC_2544.jpg

DSC_2535.jpg

DSC_2528.jpg

DSC_2513.jpg

DSC_2499.jpg

DSC_2512.jpg

PhoneArena preview:

jqiur3b.jpg
wI4TrSo.jpg
97ZUl6B.jpg

2IlnsaU.jpg

Update: First encounter

6Wf93aS.jpg

DRZ8qwG.jpg

Jsk7lyG.jpg

4wAskzl.jpg

Standard S6:

M6dW75y.jpg

Much nicer to hold then the Edge.

Pre-event news - Leaks and teasers:

Official Samsung teaser video - "The Next Galaxy"

Official Samsung teaser ad - "Six Appeal"

Sprint-six-appeal.jpg

Leaked pre-order campaign:

samsung-six-appeal.jpg

AT&T pre-production leak:

Source: http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/02/25/galaxy-s6-appears-leaked-glory/

"Rawr XD"

Less then an hour to go!

Am I the only one that doesn't care about the Samsung Galaxy at all? I think it's a horrible phone after I got my hands on a OnePlus One compared to the S5.

Am I the only one that doesn't care about the Samsung Galaxy at all? I think it's a horrible phone after I got my hands on a OnePlus One compared to the S5.

OPO kicks the crap out of the S5, and I don't even like the OPO that much. 

Also, top posting skills OP. An hour out doesn't need a thread in Tech News. Its already old news. A thread already exists that covers this information in full. We don't need Samsungs official word to have another thread. 

Why the hell is there all the news on a sunday? 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

Am I the only one that doesn't care about the Samsung Galaxy at all? I think it's a horrible phone after I got my hands on a OnePlus One.

I hated them up to the Note 3 (which is ironically my current daily). After the S5 they dramatically improved TouchWiz

"Rawr XD"

Really interesting to see Samsung splitting up with Qualcomm. Ever since the S2 there have been North American market versions (as well as versions for other worldwide markets) using Snapdragon processors. Not to say that all of them are Snapdragon, there are some exceptions such as the Note 2. I've never used an Exynos device before though, so this might be interesting. 

"Rawr XD"

I completely agree

My Sightings on LTT : June 6th 2014 WAN Show After Party: Mario Kart 8 July 31st 2015 WAN Show: Tesla Topic   August 14th 2015 WAN Show: ESL Topic 
My Rig: i7 4770K | Z87 Sabertooth | 32GB Corsair Vengeance | EVGA GTX 780Ti SC ACX | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | WD 4TB Black | Noctua NH-U14S | Corsair 750D | Corsair RM850  \
Peripherals: Triple VG248QE (1080p 144hz) | Corsair RGB K95 MX Blues | Razer Deathadder Chroma | ATH-M50X | JBL LSR305 | Mod Mic 4.0
Devices:Mac Book Pro Retina|iPad Mini (32GB) | HTC One M9 (160GB) Moto 360 (Black Leather) Nvidia Shield (80GB) Go Pro Hero 3+ Black

You care enough to post apparently, and you are so very wrong when you say the Galaxy S 5 is a horrible phone (and if you're talking about the S6 then you're even more wrong because we don't even know what it is).

The OPO is on par with the S5 in a lot of areas, worse in quite a few, and only better in one area (price). I really like the OPO as well, but if you don't take price into consideration then there is no way it's better than the SGS5 and definitely not better than the S 6 (unless Samsung somehow manages to make it worse than the previous generation).

OPO kicks the crap out of the S5, and I don't even like the OPO that much. 

Also, top posting skills OP. An hour out doesn't need a thread in Tech News. Its already old news. A thread already exists that covers this information in full. We don't need Samsungs official word to have another thread. 

You might not like OPO, but you absolutely hate Samsung so that's not a surprise... I agree with you about this thread being unnecessary though. Not because the other thread covers everything (because it doesn't) but because we don't really need a thread 1 hour before anything has been announced. At least not just a thread that says "discuss!".

I am all for a thread where the OP constantly adds new info and formats it nicely during the live stream though.

Honestly if this doesn't have a SD card slot, or cleaned up Touchwiz i'm selling my 5s for a M9

Honestly if this doesn't have a SD card slot, or cleaned up Touchwiz i'm selling my 5s for a M9

Welcome to the HTC family.  :P

I'll be watching the stream ... on the M8  :ph34r:

You care enough to post apparently, and you are so very wrong when you say the Galaxy S 5 is a horrible phone (and if you're talking about the S6 then you're even more wrong because we don't even know what it is).

The OPO is on par with the S5 in a lot of areas, worse in quite a few, and only better in one area (price). I really like the OPO as well, but if you don't take price into consideration then there is no way it's better than the SGS5 and definitely not better than the S 6 (unless Samsung somehow manages to make it worse than the previous generation).

I posted because I wanted to know if ppl actually care about the S6. Cause I do not. Makes sence, hm?

The price is what makes the OPO such a great phone. And it's not only the price, where it is better than the S5. Battery life is better, I think the camara is a bit better (not really sure about that), it feels so much better and not as cheap as the S5 and it has more RAM. Also it has Cyanogen (which I like) and a lot of ppl like that much more than whatever is on the S5, but that of course is subjective.

"From ground up" thats something Apple's British guy says lol

Woah, straight to security

EDIT : My goodness, that thing is reflecting light all over the place when she's waving it.  The back is way too shiny.

EDIT 2 : "it will not bend"   LOL

bending... scrolling... wow...

they keep taking on Apple...

Yes even though it won't bend, i don't think its ok to rip off another companies design...

Edit: DDR4... God damn... 

Edit: 1440P when my laptop is 720p...

Edit 3: They keep repeating themselves

"lag and stuttering is gone" -samsung 2015

There's barely any lag or stuttering on my Galaxy Avant (Snapdragon 400)... it's actually a lot smoother to use then my Note 3.

"Rawr XD"

I am all for a thread where the OP constantly adds new info and formats it nicely during the live stream though.

this thread at the current state is pretty much a placeholder for live stream updates, but most likely VS is gonna do the same thing and everyones gonna flock to his thread instead -.-

oh would you look at that, i should predict next week's lottery numbers as well.

"Rawr XD"

I don't like Samsung but I have to say, Good for them this time :)

Better build quality by far than last time.

The bottom of that fucking phone...

LOOKS A LITTLE FAMILIAR.

TouchWizz is still terrible. The galaxy lineup is unusable. And they don't have Google Play editions of it i guess? and even if, they would be USA exclusive like last time? Too bad. I might give HTC another try but i wasn't too impressed with their stuff the last time i had one. :P

who cares...

Isn't taking screenshots not allowed like samsung said in the beginning of this event

My Sightings on LTT : June 6th 2014 WAN Show After Party: Mario Kart 8 July 31st 2015 WAN Show: Tesla Topic   August 14th 2015 WAN Show: ESL Topic 
My Rig: i7 4770K | Z87 Sabertooth | 32GB Corsair Vengeance | EVGA GTX 780Ti SC ACX | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | WD 4TB Black | Noctua NH-U14S | Corsair 750D | Corsair RM850  \
Peripherals: Triple VG248QE (1080p 144hz) | Corsair RGB K95 MX Blues | Razer Deathadder Chroma | ATH-M50X | JBL LSR305 | Mod Mic 4.0
Devices:Mac Book Pro Retina|iPad Mini (32GB) | HTC One M9 (160GB) Moto 360 (Black Leather) Nvidia Shield (80GB) Go Pro Hero 3+ Black

This news may be of note:

Samsung Galaxy S6/S6 Edge: Preloaded with OneNote, OneDrive, and Skype.

galaxy-s6-both-versions-6.jpg?itok=N0yHH

"OneDrive and OneNote are preloaded, with 115GB (odd number, sure) of free storage for two years,"

Well, that's it...

Source

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

USB 2? No expandable memory? Bottom headphone jack? Less battery because of "oh look, I'm super thin"? No water resistance? and is that a bump for the camera?? And "eww" that glossy back looks like a absolute fingerprint and sweat magnet. About the USB 2 port, are people that stupid to not know that USB 2 micro B cables work with USB 3 micro B ports... because it doesn't looks the same means it doesn't work...?  I'm done, time to see what HTC and LG has to offer.

Samsung ditched USB 3.0 a while ago. My Note 3 has it, but Note 4 and S5 don't. There's no real benefit to it. 

Isn't taking screenshots not allowed like samsung said in the beginning of this event

If people attending the presentation can take pictures then no reason for no screenshots

"Rawr XD"