HTC+Valve VR (HTC Vive) *Consolidated

ahhming

Heyyo,

Lol, and may I ask why? :P

HTC has made some fantastic products in the past. The only part about HTC smartphones in the past was the camera. Ultrapixel just didn't deliver the same image quality as regular smartphone cameras was their only weakness. As for OLED screens? Pfft, IPS is a lot more beautiful.

As for 1080P being an issue on a smartphone? Are you SHITTING me? Does 4k even make a difference on a smartphone? :P

They do make great feeling and looking products, there is no denying that. They reason I can't get behind them (and other similar companies/products) is they sacrifice functionality for fashion or feel. I honestly think it should be standard that batteries should be removable (for cell phones) and SD card slots should be included. IIRC they don't do this on their 'mainstream' products, and I think for a flagship device it should be standard that it has as much functionality and flexibility as possible. I know that it isn't just HTC that does this, but my concern is that they will do the same with the VR headset, they will have a beautify device that is premium, but lacks functionality. 

Here is a list of common fallacies. Which ones have you used today?

I honestly couldn't give a damn about these anymore. I want one to rule every ecosystem which is why I'll probably get an oculus.

There isn't even this much demand for virtual reality. Why do we need as many VR companies as Smartphone Companies?

Urgh, your opinions just made me sick in my mouth.

Urgh, your opinions just made me sick in my mouth.

Uh cool, if you don't like it then don't fucking quote me. Whats the point of your post? I don't care what you have to say about my opinion.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

As for 1080P being an issue on a smartphone? Are you SHITTING me? Does 4k even make a difference on a smartphone? :P

Let's look at Pixels Per Inch on this PPI caculator...

https://www.sven.de/dpi/

Dell UP2715K (5k 5120 x 2880 on a 27" screen):

Display size: 23.53" × 13.24" = 311.5in² (59.77cm × 33.62cm = 2009.68cm²) at 217.57 PPI

ROG Swift PG27AQ 27-inch 4K (3840 x 2160)LCD which was annouced at CES 2015:

Display size: 23.53" × 13.24" = 311.5in² (59.77cm × 33.62cm = 2009.68cm²) at 163.18 PPI

Now let's compare that to the smartphone I have... HTC One M7. 1080P on a 4.7" screen:

Display size: 4.1" × 2.3" = 9.44in² (10.4cm × 5.85cm = 60.9cm²) at 468.7 PPI

Occulus Rift DK2 (960 x 1080 per eye on a 5.7" screen):

Display size: 5.23" × 4.65" = 24.33in² (13.29cm × 11.81cm = 156.97cm²) at 206.43 PPI (per eye)

You see? For the size of screens? 1080P still has a much greater pixel density for the size... so tell me, why does it matter that HTC isn't going higher than 1080P on a screen size of 5" or smaller? Really, after that 400 PPI? It's really just a number on paper... if Samsung for example was to release a Galaxy S6 with both a 4K and 1080P display and have the exact same case and everything... would you be able to pick out the 4K at a 100% accuracy rate when playing a game or watching a movie? The jump of 1080P to 4K on small screens isn't nearly as profound as Big screen TVs or Computer Monitors. :P

As for the argument of Super LCD3 vs Super AMOLED? Yes, these days Super AMOLED is better with response times (at least from what I've read) but Super LCD is still a strong screen. There's been no mention what type of screen HTC will slap into the HTC Vive, but it's obviously going to be something higher spec than their phones since they're aiming for a higher resolution. Time will tell if they go Super LCD3 or switch to IPS or OLED.

Ah but I never said anything about it mattering whether or not HTC has a phone with a screen higher than 1080p  ;)

I rather agree it's dumb for a phone to have anything beyond 1080p. However it is a VR goggle we're talking about here where the screen is slapped as close to your face as possible. At those distance it's crucial pixel density is as high as possible. For the DK2, you know people are complaining about still seeing the pixel grid right? 

Heyyo,

I rather agree it's dumb for a phone to have anything beyond 1080p. However it is a VR goggle we're talking about here where the screen is slapped as close to your face as possible. At those distance it's crucial pixel density is as high as possible. For the DK2, you know people are complaining about still seeing the pixel grid right?

That I didn't know about, at the same time I don't overly follow Occulus. VR is a neat idea, but there's so many of them in development? I'm more concerned about compatibility. Razer OSVR sounds promising in the idea of a VR standard or a VR headset that supports other versions of VR which is neat... but... 1080x1920 FHD resolution with 60fps and 401ppi... Hmm, technically it should be enough and the resolution is great and it's got a good PPI... but 60fps? It might have quite a bit of ghosting due to that... and no mention of the screen's response time... but I guess we'll have to wait for the consumer product versions of all these to see how well they stack up. In the end? These are only developer kits that are out, not the final product. I'm sure by then they will all be quite refined.

Heyyo,

My PC Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/sNPscf

My Android Phone: Exodus Android on my OnePlus One 64bit in Sandstone Black in a Ringke Fusion clear & slim protective case

Valve announce its 'Lighthouse' VR tech will let TVs and headsets work together.