Pc shutdown when on idle?

broberg1212

Hey

My new pc is shutting itself down while on idle?  :huh:

Yesterday I was gaming a lot on my new system (t's about a week old), and it did a great job right until I closed the game and left it on the desktop at idle.

After about 5-10 minutes it turned off? I wasn't able to "wake it up" with the keyboard or mouse so, it must have been turned off.  :unsure:

I have cheked the powermanager in windows, and it was not set to go to sleep or anything.  :(

I appreciate all the help I get, thank you in advance  :)  :D

can you watch it shutting down? It would be good to know whether it closes down as Windows normally does or does it simply crash?

i5 4670k @4.2ghz / MSI Z87 G45 / EVGA GTX 960 SSC / Samsung  840 EVo SSD / WD Green 1tb HDD / Corsair H75 / Corsair Obsidian 750D / Corsair CS750M

I have watched it shutdown, and it didn't do it like windows normaly do. The screen just went black and then the system closed.

New PC? First question is, what are the specs? There is a known issue with the ultra low power state on some of the latest CPU's  being incompatible with certain power supplies. (Basically it's drawing such a small amount of power that the PSU thinks it's switched itself off)

Specs:

Intel Core i7 - 4790K

Corsair RM750 PSU

Asus strix gtx 980

Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz DDR3

Asus rog maximus vii hero

If thats the issue, what can i do about it?

I would check event viewer to see if there were anything that was logged regarding the power off.

i had this problem while gaming it just turned of

my problem was that i activated the samsung RAPID mode on my ssd wich caused problems and dus shutting down my pc

if you have anything that uses your ram as speed booster for something i recommend turning it off.

i had this problem while gaming it just turned of

my problem was that i activated the samsung RAPID mode on my ssd wich caused problems and dus shutting down my pc

if you have anything that uses your ram as speed booster for something i recommend turning it off.

I don't think that there is anything thats using the RAM as speed boost, unless something is turning it on by itself :-)

I would check event viewer to see if there were anything that was logged regarding the power off.

I've cheked the event viewer, and there is an error corresponding whit the time right around the shutdown. It's an Critical Error 41 and have something to do with the Kernel Power?

!!

try replacing your cell battery on your motherboard it can cause a lot of problems if its empty

Try using a different power supply and reset the bios settings (by unplugging the power, holding the power button for 10 seconds, and then removing the little battery on the motherboard. Reinsert it after a couple of minutes)

System: HP Pavilion P7-1010 Upgraded... CPU: AMD Athlon X4 645 3.1ghz, RAM: 6gb DDR3 1066mhz, GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 5670, PSU: Seasonic S12 II 380w Bronze, SSD: Samsung 840 Evo, HDDs: WD Caviar Green 1tb 5400RPM, Seagate Barracuda 1tb 7200RPM, Case: Generic HP case, OS: Windows 7 Professional 64Bit SP1

2nd Best: Dell Dimension 5100 Upgraded: CPU: Intel Pentium D 945, RAM: 3gb DDR2, GPU: PNY GT440 1gb, HDD: WD 120gb 720RPM, PSU: Seasonic OEM, OS: Win8.1 32bit

After the bios reset, disable C states in the bios.

System: HP Pavilion P7-1010 Upgraded... CPU: AMD Athlon X4 645 3.1ghz, RAM: 6gb DDR3 1066mhz, GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 5670, PSU: Seasonic S12 II 380w Bronze, SSD: Samsung 840 Evo, HDDs: WD Caviar Green 1tb 5400RPM, Seagate Barracuda 1tb 7200RPM, Case: Generic HP case, OS: Windows 7 Professional 64Bit SP1

2nd Best: Dell Dimension 5100 Upgraded: CPU: Intel Pentium D 945, RAM: 3gb DDR2, GPU: PNY GT440 1gb, HDD: WD 120gb 720RPM, PSU: Seasonic OEM, OS: Win8.1 32bit

Try using a different power supply and reset the bios settings (by unplugging the power, holding the power button for 10 seconds, and then removing the little battery on the motherboard. Reinsert it after a couple of minutes)

I think there is gonna be an issue with my RAID configuration if i reset the BIOS

!!

try replacing your cell battery on your motherboard it can cause a lot of problems if its empty

It's one week old, but i'll try that. I guess it could be a bad battery.

Just try replacing the power supply for right now.

try replacing the powersupply, use a different wall socket, and check your power settings. Also check the capacitors on your motherboard.

Sorry sleep, and work. RM750 is compatible with all haswell based CPU's. So low power state probably isn't the problem. The only other thing I can think of is ASUS's 5 way optimisation. (yes I know there's a Z in there but I'm australian, and we actually speak english) Try disabling the EPU sleep state.

It's one week old, but i'll try that. I guess it could be a bad battery.

I know it sounds odd but mine was empty after 2 weeks so...

Control Panel / Power Setting./ Advance Setting

Ok, i found the problem. In the advanced power settings, the minimal processing performance was set to 5% and my system is under 1% at idle.

But thanks everyone, I really appreciate all the help i got on my problem. You are awesome.

Linus tech tips really dose have a great community. :) :) :)