Custom waterloop- IvyBridge - Temperatures pretty high

Go to solution Solved by Sandy_Dandy,

Im just really disappointed by seeing people post their not delidded 3770Ks with voltages much higher than mine but temps even lower... Is it really possible to have that much spread within the same CPU-model? I mean i know about silicone-lottery but they also apply more voltage so...

I tried reseating the CPU block yesterday. The screws are in as much as I can but i noticed that the way that the Swiftech Apogee HD cooler is mounted, I couldnt put the O-rings anywhere as i initially intended to. The screws of the apogee also somehow bulge out after a short distance, which could maybe cause them to lay on he motherboard and preventing more tightening

I know what you mean. Believe it or not, I had the exact same issue as you back in 2013. Got my hands on a 3770k and decided to retire my 2600k, but I quickly saw a huge temperature increase at lower voltages and speeds. In addition I noticed that my water temperature actually got reduced, which was a clear indicator that it wouldn't overclock well at all. I wasn't quite as comfortable with modding at that time as I am today, so I sold the Ivy and rolled back to my dear Sandy 2600k. 

If it had been today the Ivy would've gotten a delid without hesitation. The assembly of those chips are quite horrendous, and RMA is not an option when it's keeping below 85°c with stock cooler at stock speeds. The worst part is just as you describe. I got a friend with a 3770k, and that cpu gets to 4.6GHz with a Noctua NH-U12p, while my H100i couldn't manage 4.5GHz even at PnP @ 2500rpm. 

Be sure to not damage your motherboard by over tightening the block. With it tightened, can you wiggle the block by hand, or is it solid with the mobo?

Could it be something with the pump? Regarding that the GPUs are much cooler...

I know that I could have a cyclone in my reservoir. The temps dont change when i set my pump to max speed

I have the same exact pump, and with two rads and four blocks it gets around at the lowest speed setting(Dial set to 1) without any issues. At that speed my 3960x hottest core runs about 7°c/23°c Idle/Load over water temp, and my GPUs are pretty much the same. 7970 is a couple of degrees shorter, and the 7990 is a few higher vs the CPU.

The fact that the GPU is much cooler just enforces my suspicions. The 780 conducts over three times more energy in less than half the surface area vs the 3770k, which would mean that even if the CPU ran at similar temps as the GPUs, it would still raise a lot of suspicion. If the CPU would act as the GPU, the temps would be closer to the water temps than the GPU temps. 

I'm sorry, but with your temps and description it's very unlikely to be anything but the TIM in the CPU. Ivy can be a real hassle and disappointment without delid... :(

Hey guys

I've ran my watercooling setup for a while now, and I've recently started overclocking it again (I ran it at 4.4Ghz for a while) and I just had to realize, that my CPU temps are pretty high (Unfortunately IvyBridge just runs really hot)

I run a 3770K together with 2x GTX780 in SLI.

Watercooling hardware:

CPU-block: Swiftech Apogee HD

Pump: Alphacool VPP655 

Im running the pump with 3700RPM (I read stuff about laminar flow, but I tested on all 5 levels that the pump can run at without seeing a difference bigger than 1-2 degrees)

The somehow sad thing is that I achieve the same OC like on air, which is not really what I expected from a watercooling setup like that

( 2x 480 rads ).

Now is there anything that could be the cause of my temperatures besides my CPU model which is just running hot by default?

I really hope some of you might have an idea

Thats how my loop looks right now:

tdjjAy0.jpg

I stresstest with Aida64 maximizing load on CPU and GPUs to achieve the highest possible temp that I could

The temps look a bit lower than they will be after I ran the stresstest for 30 minutes, they circle around 90 degrees then

HeSAOBY.png

A delid is probably needed, but make sure that the CPU block is firmly mounted.

When in doubt: C4

I see no GPU temperatures, and those CPU temps are really bad even for Ivy. Is your pump even running?

Yeah sorry theyre around 48-50 degrees. Yes its running on lvl 3 of 5 possible speed-levels (3700RPM)

A delid is probably needed, but make sure that the CPU block is firmly mounted.

I dont think I'd want to take the risk of delidding it  :wacko:  I  took it off and mounted it again without  the temps changing really

are you using thermal paste between the cpu cooler ? :P

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

are you using thermal paste between the cpu cooler ? :P

IC-Diamond as learned by our godfather Linus  :P

IC-Diamond as learned by our godfather Linus  :P

thats strange, any way to check your water temperature ?

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Phu not really I guess, theres no temperature-reading hardware inside my loop

Phu not really I guess, theres no temperature-reading hardware inside my loop

do you have a thermometer to stick in?

do you have a thermometer to stick in?

Would that reading help anything? 

Since the GPU's are 50ish, the water can't be much hotter. Meaning there is a 30+ degree delta between the loop and the chip. 

Which can only be explained by;

-Pump not running, but you verified + the GPU's aren't overheating

-CPU Block not mounted properly, excessive use of thermal paste or not evenly tightened.

-Poor TIM application between LID and DIE

-excessive voltage.

Tbh, if reseating the CPU block doesn't fix it, you're looking at a delid. Try adding some o-rings like with AIO coolers.

Would that reading help anything? 

yes we would erase one potential error, have you maybe applied too much Thermal compound ?

Since the GPU's are 50ish, the water can't be much hotter. Meaning there is a 30+ degree delta between the loop and the chip. 

Which can only be explained by;

-Pump not running, but you verified + the GPU's aren't overheating

-CPU Block not mounted properly, excessive use of thermal paste or not evenly tightened.

-Poor TIM application between LID and DIE

-excessive voltage.

Tbh, if reseating the CPU block doesn't fix it, you're looking at a delid. Try adding some o-rings like with AIO coolers.

I tended to apply too much thats why I checked last time when I reseated the CPU block. I could swear its not too much, but I used the "dot in the middle and let the pressure spread it"-method could that be a problem? I think thats how "its done" currently

Excessive voltage not so much you can see on the CPU-Z screenshot that its running at 1.235V

I tended to apply too much thats why I checked last time when I reseated the CPU block. I could swear its not too much, but I used the "dot in the middle and let the pressure spread it"-method could that be a problem? I think thats how "its done" currently

Excessive voltage not so much you can see on the CPU-Z screenshot that its running at 1.235V

Yeah, was just mentioning all the possibilities. Which means it leaves the CPU block not able to apply enough pressure (fixable with orings) or a Delid is required.

I just tried to tighten the screws on all 4 sides of the CPU and they are like "screwdriver-tightened" without trying to kill the CPU

Yeah, was just mentioning all the possibilities. Which means it leaves the CPU block not able to apply enough pressure (fixable with orings) or a Delid is required.

I wouldn't delid my CPU even though I know about the massive temp decrease.. It just looks so risky

Could it be anything else? Like I dont know, pump-speeds or fan-speeds or whatever? 

I dont think theres that much air left in my loop, but when i put the pump to max rpm, theres a little sound from air i guess

Damn  :( Well the temps are within the acceptable margin so I just have to deal with them...

What a pity

I wouldn't call those temperatures within acceptable margin...

You can still try some rubber o-rings on the backplate. It might help.

Otherwise, either delid or drop the voltage a tad. If that requires dropping frequency..so be it.

I wouldn't call those temperatures within acceptable margin...

You can still try some rubber o-rings on the backplate. It might help.

Otherwise, either delid or drop the voltage a tad. If that requires dropping frequency..so be it.

Whats this thing with the O-rings? will this just increase the pressure on the CPU?

Whats this thing with the O-rings? will this just increase the pressure on the CPU?

You might think you're already applying allot of pressure, but it could just be on the mounting mechanism and not the CPU.

Those o-rings might help actually applying some pressure on the CPU.

Just can't really imagine a custom loop peforming this bad on an Ivy, even with it's hotter than usual temps. 

You might think you're already applying allot of pressure, but it could just be on the mounting mechanism and not the CPU.

Those o-rings might help actually applying some pressure on the CPU.

Just can't really imagine a custom loop peforming this bad on an Ivy, even with it's hotter than usual temps. 

Is there a risk of applying too much pressure? 

Is there a risk of applying too much pressure? 

Well yes, but you have to force it regardless. o-rings won't change that. You'll know when you're applying too much force.

Also, are you cycling screws when tightening them? Don't completely tighten them one at a time, gradually cycle through the screws until they're secured.

From a thermal dynamic standpoint it sure sounds like bad conductance between the die and the water, and if the TIM is at fault, nothing will solve your problems, beside a delid. It's a risk yes. But it's also the only thing that make or break Ivy OC. 

Although, if delid is completely of the table, I would sell the Ivy and get a Sandy 2600 or 2700k instead. Those chips are proper maniacs when it comes to overclocking, especially under (real)water cooling. Slightly worse IPC, but if you can't get your Ivy above 4.4GHz it won't matter, a 5GHz+ Sandy will still be a much better choice. 

CPU: i7-3960x @ 5GHz Motherboard: Rampage IV Gene ​RAM: 32GB HyperX Fury 1866 STORAGE:  WD Green 3TB + Crucial BX100 250GB + 16GB Primocache

GPU: 7990 + 7970 @ 1190c, 1515m Case: Phanteks Enthoo Mini XL PSU: AX1200i Monitor: Qnix QX2710 @ 110Hz

Cooling: D5 + X-RES 140CSQ, Supreme HF Cu, EK-FC7970/7990, 10xSP120 QE, RX240 + RX360