Way to test stability of network?

Skreedles

Is there any way to test the stability of my wireless adapter, i.e. whether or not it is getting the signal properly and consistently.

ping your router with bigger packet

ex: ping 192.168.1.1 -l 1280 -t

biggest packet to send is 65500

I have been pinigng websites.

well, technically the same

but since you asking for quality network it's more accurate with LAN instead WAN

dam that is one big packet LOL, considering that the MTU of a typical Ethernet is 1500 and the PPP standards usually take a little off that I don't think a packet that large would even go.

Also ping is usually ping is given less wight than general traffic across the internet, so I don't think that this is a valid test, I would go with some kind of real world data test like the FTP one suggested or a HTTP download test perhaps. 

FTP/HTTP download/upload to local server

but it require another setup

just do 100 loop with ping and lower the packet number, if no hiccup, it's good.

WAN is definitely different story, if you expecting good latency on crappy internet connection even using fiber won't help you.

just do 100 loop with ping and lower the packet number, if no hiccup, it's good.

I don't even think that is a good recommendation considering that ping is a singular packet Request/Response, Yes this can be a good quick test to see if get to the other side but if you are looking for stability testing we would need to see if there is loss over a TCP connection. We would need know if there is any issues in getting a series of packets to the other side without excessive loss, re-transmission, fragmentation etc. This would give us the best result in this kind of scenario.    

Let me ask you this question, what application these days sends a singular packet and expects just one packet back.

The answer to this is NONE.

Even HTTP will send more than one packet just to setup the TCP connection, that is before it starts asking for stuff.

dam that is one big packet LOL, considering that the MTU of a typical Ethernet is 1500 and the PPP standards usually take a little off that I don't think a packet that large would even go.

Also ping is usually ping is given less wight than general traffic across the internet, so I don't think that this is a valid test, I would go with some kind of real world data test like the FTP one suggested or a HTTP download test perhaps. 

The NIC will split the packet up to fit the MTU, so the whole logical packet will span multiple physical packets.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

i know that each frame would be fragmented, but how does this equate to a good stability test ?

i know that each frame would be fragmented, but how does this equate to a good stability test ?

It's not really :)

All it can really tell you is if something is down, or if there is a some form of congestion (which would result in large ping times).

It can't tell you about bandwidth, it can't tell you what could be wrong, just if it's working or not.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB