help..

turboGeeek

Hello

I've recently switched GPU from Nvidia to Ati yesterday. I got an R9 290X Lightning. Upon testing Battlefield 4 about 15 mins in gameplay, my system unexpectedly restarts by itself. Got in, tried again..and it happened again the 2nd time. It's not overclocked yet, running from stock. There's 3 pin which I only used 2, 8+8 pins. I'm using Coolermaster V750 as my power supply. Any help here would be great

Hello

I've recently switched GPU from Nvidia to Ati yesterday. I got an R9 290X Lightning. Upon testing Battlefield 4 about 15 mins in gameplay, my system unexpectedly restarts by itself. Got in, tried again..and it happened again the 2nd time. It's not overclocked yet, running from stock. There's 3 pin which I only used 2, 8+8 pins. I'm using Coolermaster V750 as my power supply. Any help here would be great

what? you need to use all the power plugs leading into your GPU. they are not a optional thing

You need to connect all three 8-pin power connectors. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

really? I read the last 6 pin was optional and only if u have overclocking in mind. No?

no not even a little..... Im surprised the card even displayed without everything pluged in...

i tried with everything plugged in this time. 8+8+6. Still restarts by itself..what the heck. Any ideas? There is a small LN2 switch currently it's off. If i push that what happens? It's in normal mode now. Wonder if it has anything to do with it.

My friend says my power supply isn't up to it. What say u guyss?

i tried with everything plugged in this time. 8+8+6. Still restarts by itself..what the heck. Any ideas? There is a small LN2 switch currently it's off. If i push that what happens? It's in normal mode now. Wonder if it has anything to do with it

No. LN2 mode disables over current protection and voltage limits. Usually intended for Sub-Zero cooling solutions hence LN2 mode (Liquid Nitrogen).  Will not affect your situation. You said you switched video cards from nVidia to AMD yesterday, did you remove all trace of the nVidia drivers?

Also, how old is your PSU?

My PSU is a few months old. Fairly new.

the nvidia drivers yeahh. All of them i think. Did it through the "Uninstall or change a program" tab. Is there another way to double check it tho?

Uninstall all of your old Nvidia drivers.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

tried..no luck. Uninstalled my old nvidia drivers,  went for both the "highly recommended" and "for installing a new graphic card" way. 

Even took the trouble to uninstalled and reinstalled the current drivers. I believe it's at AMD Catalyst Driver (14.12) now? It still made that random reset the whole system thing.

It can't be my PSU can it? 750W is capable right?

at this point it only happens in battlefield 4 this. It's fine in Diablo 3 or Batman arkham city and Fifa 15

or at least it's playable for more than 15 mins haha. 

This whole thing is starting to drive me nuts