gaming & video editing friendly budget build

mechtech

My nephew is going off to college next year, and is looking to upgrade from a build I did for him circa 2011. I double checked the parts and found;

CPU:  AMD 990FX AMD Phenom II X4 955 

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ 

MEM: 4G 2x2 G.Skill 1600
GFX: HD6870

Without considering storage or PSU needs, I'm wondering if there's any CPU that I can upgrade along with replacing the memory and graphics card for something higher end, gtx 770 or 780.

I'm not very familiar with AMD architecture and/or if there's any 6 or 8 core CPUs capable of performing respectably for basic to intermediate video editing tasks. He enjoys recording gameplay and making youtube videos, so I figure a video capture card is also going to be needed and he has a tight budget for all of these goodies.

4k gaming is not a need, but Im biased towards the 780. 290X's in crossfire require better cooling, more electricity in the long run, and I love the idea of leaving the possibility of adding a 780 but often by the time you want it, stock is impossible to come by.

My next afterthought was to pawn or trade off my current build from 2012 - i7 3820 P9X79 ASUS basic board stocked with 32gb of gskill 2133, still needing to upgrade the display card.

Any thoughts?

The AMD FX 83XX series CPU's are great for video editing, so I'd suggest going for one of those. For GPU, I'd try and get a Maxwell if you are biased towards Nvidia... perhaps a 970 or 980? Both can push games at 1080p+ with no issues.

Project Tomahawk:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Hero

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i

Memory: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 1866 Mhz

GPU: Asus Strix RX 480

PSU: Corsair RM1000

Storage: 2x Western Digital 2TB Enterprise + 240GB Crucial M500 SSD

Case: Corsair Air 540

Additional: Cablemod C-Series black/red kit, SP120, AF140 and AF140 w/ red LED's all around

Project Frankenstein:

Spoiler

CPU: AMD FX 6100

Motherboard: MSI 970 SLI Krait Edition

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

Memory: 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1866 Mhz

GPU: MSI R9 280 3G Twin Frozr

PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W

Storage: Western Digital 1TB Enterprise + 240GB Partiot Torch SSD

Case: Fractal Design Define S

Sheila (Server):

Spoiler

Dell R210:
CPU: Intel Xeon x3450

Memory: 12GB Crucial ECC 1600 Mhz

Storage: Seagate 3TB Constellation 

Marvin (Server)

Spoiler

Dell R210ii

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1230v2

Memory: 12GB Crucial ECC 1600Mhz

Storage: Seagate 3TB Constellation

Nice, the 8320 seems to provide the best bang for my money, 8350 starts at $40+ more.

I guess that leaves the task of finding fitting memory that won't break bank, minimum 16gigs, and if there's enough money left, I would certainly opt for a 780. I feel if he ever really needs a boost into 4k stuff, adding a second 780 would add so much life and help with video editing and even remove the need for a video capture card (i hope). But what if it's one year down the line, is it safe to say it's a bad idea to envision SLI that far down the line?

I guess there's not much of an opinion out the question of long-term SLI plans. After thinking it through, going for a 780 and ditching the SLI idea altogether. I'm the one who wants surround monitors anyways. He needs a few months to save up the extra money, so by than i'll select the suitable card.