Where to learn to code

megjake101

So I want to get into programming and Im gonna take a class on it next year, but where would be a good place to get a headstart. Codeacademy seems to be the popular choice. Any other suggestions. Im a freshman in HS

Lynda.com

<start poorly thought up segue

Also, this post is brought to you by Lynda.com. The place where you can learn to code and other stuff.

I love the Codegasm series:

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

I love the Codegasm series:

yeah I like it too. Just doesnt seem like the best place to learn though

yeah I like it too. Just doesnt seem like the best place to learn though

That's where I've learned everything. So far it has come in handy

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

If you haven't checked out the programming subforum on LTT, they have a resources thread there.

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

So I want to get into programming and Im gonna take a class on it next year, but where would be a good place to get a headstart. Codeacademy seems to be the popular choice. Any other suggestions. Im a freshman in HS

If your school has comp science classes then do those. That's how I learn. I have HTML/CSS down, we did some stuff in Scratch and we're currently learning Python.

Youtube is a great place to learn.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Usually a beginning programming or CS class assumes that you have close to no experience with programming at all.  At least APCS does, and most schools offer pre-cursors to APCS too, I don't see why they do but they do. I say wait until you take the course.  Easier on you if you just follow the material.

Unfortunately it does mean you learn Java first, which is terrible, but it's still better than learning C first.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

First, what is it that you want to learn coding for?

Are you planning on studying computer science in college? If so , http://www.learncpp.com/  (C++ is a great place to start, plus this site is amazing and free)

Are you planning to just do Web Development or get into Mobile App development? Perhaps learn some Python? (http://teamtreehouse.com), student discount is $9 a month but you will not get anything better that's tailored into an actual course.

Get a good book in Python or C#, watch YouTube tutorials, and start a project. Dive in. It's the best way to get started.

Codecademy can be okay at times but I have noticed that I skips out on many important parts of the languages it tries to teach.

I still think that Lynda.com is a great site to learn to code. 

http://puu.sh/hoxZF/b243e2b090.txt 

Software developer, part-time potato. CEO @ RSN. http://rushservers.net/

I'm a sophmore in HS and I took a course over the summer, it was just a basic intro to C++ class. Khan Academy teaches basic JavaScript and HTML. You can learn some basic fundamentals there. For me though, actually taking a summer class taught me a lot, not only how to code, but also learn vocab and other programming related topics. You can also just try and google some basic programs, like adding integers then printing them out and so forth. I wish you luck on programming. 

What language you learning?

codingbat.com is good for the basic java and python! used it at my school, else lynda.com makes good videos. 

GPU: MSI GTX 770 gaming || CPU: Intel 4670k @ 4.4Ghz || RAM: 4x4GB 1600mhz Corsair vengeance pro || MOBO: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming || CPU cooler: Corsair H105 || PSU: Corsair RM650 || SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, Crucial M4 128GB || Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 || Monitor: ASUS PA238Q

I remember there was a guy on YouTube with username TheNewBoston (something like that), guy who had start tutorial for everything, really, really good explanation of everything, try with him.

TheNewBoston, CodeAcademy, Udemy. There are a bunch of good options.

Carbon Fire ITX PCCPU: i7-4770K@3.8Ghz GPU: Asus GTX 660 Cpu Cooler Corsair H80i Mobo: Asus Maximnus VI Impact RAM: Corsair 16gb 1600MHz PSU: Corsair CX500 Modular SSD: 2x120gb HDD: Seagate 2TB Keyboard:Corsair K70 Mouse: Logitech G700  Case Modded Bitfenix Prodigy

I would recommend you to Codecademy( http://www.codecademy.com/) if you wanted to learn web programming languages. That's where I learned my HMTL/CSS and JS, currently learning jQuery and PHP. If you want to learn other languages, I'd watch Derek Banas' YouTube tutorials, where he teaches you programming languages in about an hour or so. I would only do this if you have basic knowledge about computers and know at least one programming language.

PC SETUP: | i5-4440 3.1 GHz | MSI Z97s Krait | EVGA GTX 970 | G.Skill Value 8GB | WDC Blue 500GB | NZXT S340

MOBILE SETUP: | Apple iPhone 6 | iOS 10b4 | Apple Watch Stainless Steel w/ Black Sport Band | WatchOS 3b4

Steam: chargerjake | Origin: chargerjake

try code academy  its free and has a ton  of options including ruby

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |