Fractal Design Define R5 custom loop

This is my first post and I wanted to post a few pics of my first custom water cooling loop that I just finished.

20150226_201223.jpg

20150226_201325.jpg

sweet

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Thanks. Well my cpu idle temp is around 35c and the GPU idle is around 34c.

oh and here are the specs for my build:

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 (black w/ window side panel)

Mobo: Asus z87-a

CPU: i7 4790K

Ram: 16gb Corsair 1600Mhz

Video: Club3d Royal queen R9 280x

PSU: Corsair HX750

SSD: Crucial MX100 256gb

Water cooling parts and pieces:

CPU: Koolance 380i

GPU: EK-FC7970 - Acetal CSQ

Rads: Black Ice Nemesis GT Stealth 240 X-Flow Radiator / Black Ice GT Xtreme 280 Radiator

Pump: D5 vario with a bitspower mod kit

Res: Bitspower single D5 upgrade kit 150

Tubing: Primochill UV blue LRT

Fittings: all Bitspower

oh and some UV led strips for interior light :)

What about temps at load? Also, what are your CPU and GPU clocked at? Getting an R5 myself for a watercooling build here shortly!

During Unigine Heaven benchmarking on Highest settings, the GPU maxed out at 42c. For the CPU, during benchmarking in 7zip and Cinebench, its avg was 68c.

Hello, I have some questions about your build, because I was wanting to do a custom loop in a Define R5 as well.

I was curious to see if all these parts would fit inside fine (part list is tentative, and not finished yet)? I've done a lot of research to try to find the best components for this, as money is not an issue at the time being.

I am planning on taking out both HDD cages, as well as the optical drive bays. I wanted to fit one of the HDD cages where the optical drive bays were, if that's possible. 

I also have a rough sketch of what I was planning, although I'm sure its not 100% accurate: http://puu.sh/glpKs/2aa2832725.png

Any advice appreciated.

Hello, I have some questions about your build, because I was wanting to do a custom loop in a Define R5 as well.

I was curious to see if all these parts would fit inside fine (part list is tentative, and not finished yet)? I've done a lot of research to try to find the best components for this, as money is not an issue at the time being.

I am planning on taking out both HDD cages, as well as the optical drive bays. I wanted to fit one of the HDD cages where the optical drive bays were, if that's possible. 

I also have a rough sketch of what I was planning, although I'm sure its not 100% accurate: http://puu.sh/glpKs/2aa2832725.png

Any advice appreciated.

Why get an i5 if money is no issue

Case: NZXT H440 | CPU: i5 4670K @ 4.5 GHz | GPU: MSI 970, Kraken G10 | Mobo: ASRock Z97 Extreme3 | Cooler: H100i | PSU: Corsair AX750 w/ Sleeved Cables | Display: 3xBenQ RL2455M | Fans: 5xNoctua NF-F12, 1xBitFenix Spectre |

Well from my build I can tell you that I had a 240mm in the top and it was a slim rad and there was not much room between the rad and the RAM once it is installed, so the 280mm rad up top may not fit. I took a quick look at the small HDD cage, and I do not believe that it will fit in with the front 280mm rad (mainly because the rad's intake/output tanks)

Why get an i5 if money is no issue

I don't really stream or render video that often (to utilize the hyperthreading), do you think that the extra $100 is worth it to upgrade to an i7-4790k?

Well from my build I can tell you that I had a 240mm in the top and it was a slim rad and there was not much room between the rad and the RAM once it is installed, so the 280mm rad up top may not fit. I took a quick look at the small HDD cage, and I do not believe that it will fit in with the front 280mm rad (mainly because the rad's intake/output tanks)

Damn, that sucks. Maybe I should opt for a different case then. Do you know if a 240mm in the front will fit with the HDD cage?

I don't really stream or render video that often (to utilize the hyperthreading), do you think that the extra $100 is worth it to upgrade to an i7-4790k?

Damn, that sucks. Maybe I should opt for a different case then. Do you know if a 240mm in the front will fit with the HDD cage?

If money's no issue why not? Especially with games using more and more cores as time goes on.

Case: NZXT H440 | CPU: i5 4670K @ 4.5 GHz | GPU: MSI 970, Kraken G10 | Mobo: ASRock Z97 Extreme3 | Cooler: H100i | PSU: Corsair AX750 w/ Sleeved Cables | Display: 3xBenQ RL2455M | Fans: 5xNoctua NF-F12, 1xBitFenix Spectre |

If money's no issue why not? Especially with games using more and more cores as time goes on.

They're both quad-core, though? And I guess I'll get it then.

They're both quad-core, though? And I guess I'll get it then.

i7 have hyper threading, it has 4 physical cores, but 8 logical cores.

i7 have hyper threading, it has 4 physical cores, but 8 logical cores.

Okay, my bad. Sorry for the general-unknowningness. Thanks for your input. Is there anything else you would change?

what I would probably recommend is if you are only planning on wanting 1 to 2 HDDs, you could use the 5.25" optical drive cage and get 5.25" to 3.5 adapter such as this http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0VE-000W-00007&_ga=1.138063088.1369644180.1425235096 .

This is a nice build and you went a bit overkill with two 240mm rads. I bet you get some very nice temps though. I just did my own build in this case, but I went with a 240+120 rad because I needed at least one of the hard drive cages to stay. I still get great temps. even with the gpu and cpu overclocked. 

NewPC

What about temps at load? Also, what are your CPU and GPU clocked at? Getting an R5 myself for a watercooling build here shortly!

I have a similar build and the temps are nice 

42c under load in benchmark 

post-194650-0-50459800-1425687121_thumb.

Currently the CPU is overclocked to 4.7ghz at 1.28v, I probably could get it a bit higher but haven't had a whole lot of time to validate a higher overclock. as for the GPU I have been having some issues with getting a nice overclock. I am going to post a thread in the graphics card section to see if I can get some help with my GPU and overclocking.

what I would probably recommend is if you are only planning on wanting 1 to 2 HDDs, you could use the 5.25" optical drive cage and get 5.25" to 3.5 adapter such as this http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0VE-000W-00007&_ga=1.138063088.1369644180.1425235096 .

I have three HDD's, 2 SSD's unfortunately. I'm thinking I'll have to move to a bigger case in order to keep all the rads I want.

• 2 months later...

Anyone know the thickness of the OP front rad? 45/60mm? Cant seem to find the specs on the Internet. Thanks!