What Could Have Died?

I installed Folding@home to run on my extra "kitchen computer"... an AMD Phenom II 940 with a GTX560 running WinVistaUltimate.  It was running fine for over a week 24/7 on "LOW" with CPU temps around 54c and about 25% utilization.  One day I did a PC restart and the machine shuts itself off at the BIOS screen.  It will not get into Windows.  What may have happened?  What hardware components are being taxed the most with this program?  Should I suspect a fried MOBO, or perhaps a PS?  Or even the GPU?  I have tried resetting BIOS to factory settings with jumper.  Still gets to BIOS screen (sometimes it doesn't even get that far) and just powers itself completely off.

Anyone have issues like this related to F@H or similar unrelated issues?

CPU: Intel Devil's Canyon i7-4790K.  Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7.  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X-Series 16gb @ 2133.  GPU: EVGA SuperClocked GTX770.  Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper.  Storage: Plextor M6ePX M.2 256GB SSD/Samsung 850 Pro SSD 256GB.  PSU: Seasonic 80+ Gold 850watt.  Display(s): LG 42LB6300.  Cooling: Zalman CNPS9900MAX-R.  Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (EVENTUALLY).  Mouse: Logitech G700s.  Sound: Onboard 5.1 analog output - Soundcraft Mixer - QSC Power Amps - ElectroVoice Qrx PA Speakers / Klipsch center channel.  OS: Windows 8.1 Pro.

Did you enable folding on the GPU? I could swear it only uses CPU by default. In any case, if it's your spare computer you could check the GPU on another system if possible, same with the other components if you have other compatible parts. As for the most likely dead culprit I would think motherboard, CPU, or PSU. I'd also check the RAM if it's more than one modukle and just try individual sticks.

Oooh!  Good call on the RAM.  I'll pull a stick, try it... then the other... to see if it boots.

CPU: Intel Devil's Canyon i7-4790K.  Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7.  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X-Series 16gb @ 2133.  GPU: EVGA SuperClocked GTX770.  Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper.  Storage: Plextor M6ePX M.2 256GB SSD/Samsung 850 Pro SSD 256GB.  PSU: Seasonic 80+ Gold 850watt.  Display(s): LG 42LB6300.  Cooling: Zalman CNPS9900MAX-R.  Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (EVENTUALLY).  Mouse: Logitech G700s.  Sound: Onboard 5.1 analog output - Soundcraft Mixer - QSC Power Amps - ElectroVoice Qrx PA Speakers / Klipsch center channel.  OS: Windows 8.1 Pro.

Nope.  It's toast.

Typically failed hardware wouldn't cause it to power off at BIOS. And you mentioned sometimes it doesn't even get that far? Sounds like either a motherboard issue or a power supply issue.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

I had this issue when I first built my PC, only to realize I goofed as to where I installed the headers. So my guess is that this has something to do with your mobo.

Hand of Nod: i7-4790K, 16GB G.Skill Sniper 1600Mhz DDR3 RAM, Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970, MSI Gaming 5 Z97 mobo, LEPA 120mm red LED fans (x3) Corsair SPEC-03 case, Seasonic 650W 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, ASUS VG248QE 144hz monitor, Patriot Blaze 120GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM HDD, Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200RPM HDD (x2)