Problems with my server pc

Midorica
Go to solution Solved by Starelementpoke,

K then, the most probable reasons are the os upgrade, or the hard drive then. I'd suggest trying to switch back to windows 7(easier to run most likely) or that the hard drive has been used too long and its too old.(its 160gb, im 99% sure those arent created today). Id suggest upgrading the hard drive to a new terribyte drive plus an ssd for the os. 

Hello,

So like it's written on the topic title , I have some problems related to hosting minecraft/planet explorer server since they are running pretty slow. I have a ASUS RT-AC68U router with the server and my laptop connected.

The windows was reinstalled some days ago since I was thinking that there was any kind of bug or virus that affected it badly but it wasn't.

The CPUs aren't overheating even with these coolers (couldn't find any stock cooler for these)

The server pc is running Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard which is pretty useful but slow...

The specs are these :

Supermicro H8DME-2-LS006

2x AMD Opteron 2427 Six-Cores

16x 2GB DDR2 ECC Registered

Western Digital 160gb sata

430W PSU Thermaltake

e06aki.jpg

The original power supply was removed since it broke , so i had a non-server standard psu.

Is there anything that could affect performance in any way or any upgrade possible?

Well normaly DDR2 isn't such a problem and the CPUs are running on 2.4Ghz with 6MB cache... so i'm kind of lost

Minecraft doesn't ask normaly for that much since I only want to run a vanilla server with around 10-15 players

Around 250W as i can see on my battery backup screen

Umm.... I have this motherboard since around June last year and the ram in pretty much the same time.

The hard drive was bought around September at a local store as for the Power supply , it only has been a month

They were together with the motherboard , so they shouldn't be that much used

Edit :

I just made a test with HDTune about the HDD and it seems that it has been used for 35534 hours but it's still in normal condition , could it be that?

Well... it always been slow when I upgraded to Server 2012 R2 Standard , running Windows 7 Pro was running perfectly

That might be it, although have you updated either of the games to a newer server host program?

do you mean like java ? yea it's running on the lastest version and as for updates in windows , it's all updated

No, I mean there tends to be a program for games (like minecraft) that'll make your computer become an actual server and let people connect via interwebs.

The servers are hosted via a batch file like the main server is using this :

"C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_31\jre\bin\java.exe" -server -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+CMSIncrementalPacing -XX:ParallelGCThreads=11 -XX:+AggressiveOpts -Xms2G -Xmx4G -jar cauldron-1.7.10-1.1236.05.212-server.jar nogui

So not really , i'm not using programs for hosting

K then, the most probable reasons are the os upgrade, or the hard drive then. I'd suggest trying to switch back to windows 7(easier to run most likely) or that the hard drive has been used too long and its too old.(its 160gb, im 99% sure those arent created today). Id suggest upgrading the hard drive to a new terribyte drive plus an ssd for the os. 

Yea i have a spare 2tb wd red somewhere but as for a ssd , forget it... it can only run SATA2

Edit : I'll post later the results , changing hard drive and reinstalling a different OS

Ah, the accursed disadvantages of old hardware. Well anyway, thats my best guess of what might be happening.

Well it seems like after changing hard drive and removing some DIMMs , it fixed the lags.

The old hard drive was OK in SMART test but it was very slow.

Thanks for your help ;)