Some help on upgrading PC!

Hey guys!!

TL;DR Basically, I want to to upgrade to GTX 970, should I also get a new motherboard (I have right now: Gigabyte H61M-S1)? should I also upgrade from an i5-3450? any recomendations on silent cpu cooler if i get an upgrade on the CPU?

I just needed some help on a build I intend on doing and I noticed I posted this originally in a wrong thread, I thought this was the ideal place to share and get some thoughts on it.

Below I've listed the parts I did in PC Part Picker (http://pcpartpicker.com/p/4XrvCJ). The SSD, HDD and the optical drive I do not need to buy since I already have these and I’d just move them onto my new build, so at the end of the part list I've subtracted these amount off the one from pc part picker. Also, the case is not that necessary as I already have one, but it depends on the cooler of the CPU as if it would be quite tall it wouldn’t fit in my current case, but I am not too troubled with that as long as the case if fairly cheap. My current CPU is the i5-3450 so if you guys think it’s a waste of money to buy a new one please go ahead and tell me. The motherboard I have at the moment is the Gigabyte h61m-s1 and the memory I have is 2x4 GB of the Kingston 99u5471, again, if the memory is perfectly fine let me know.

What I'm having most difficulties with is the motherboard. There are hundreds of them and it’s not an area where I have enough knowledge to make a final decision without some help so I'm asking you guys. Also, according to the GTX 970 I thought would be a good choice to buy; I'm not very sure regarding the power supply I have, it’s called a Halfmman (AS-P700) and I took a photo of the sticker it has on the side (http://imgur.com/1na2ynk), I don’t want it failing on me with a GTX 970 so I wanted to ask your guys’ opinions on this too (it says max output 700W). I also subtracted this amount off the end price. One of my main goals is also to make this build fairly quiet and not a jet engine so concerning the CPU cooler ( if I do need a new CPU, as the current stock is doing just fine on the 3450 I have), I'm open to suggestions, again, as long as it isn’t very loud if possible. Since I don’t need any drives and probably a case and PSU, my budget can stretch to around the 950$ range. (Just a note, I’ll probably buy these in a few months when I move to the UK so the prices will vary and I’ll buy it obviously in pounds but I'm not too worried about that, I just want some tips on the things I should buy.)

CPU                       Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor

$187.99

CPU cooler         Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

$36.98

Motherboard    Asus Maximus VI Hero ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

$149.99

Memory              Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

$124.99

Storage                               Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

$0

Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive

$0

(***Both of these drives are not needed as I already have them so there is no need to buy drives, I just wanted to include them in the list)

Video Card         MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card

$339.99

Case                      Apex SK-393-C ATX Mid Tower Case

$26.32

Power Supply   Corsair Builder 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

$64.85

(***I already have a pretty decent power supply but I still included one if for some reason mine doesn’t cut it or isn’t high enough quality)

Optical Drive      LG GH24NS90 DVD/CD Writer

$0

(***This optical drive is also not needed, again, I just wanted to include it so that you guys know everything I intent to put in the system.)

End price = 937.11 $

Thanks a lot for the help guys.

The Hero isn't really necessary unless you absolutely want it. You can get a brilliant mobo for half the price. Also, if you are getting a locked i5, you could go with H97 / H87

The Hero isn't really necessary unless you absolutely want it. You can get a brilliant mobo for half the price. Also, if you are getting a locked i5, you could go with H97 / H87

Ah, thanks man. Yea it is a pretty expensive motherboard, especially if i dont intend to do any kind of crossfire or SLI, thanks.

What are you going to use the computer for?

Well, pretty much gaming. not really looking for 4K so ill stick at around 1080 or 1440p

Yeah, if gaming is your main goal then get a cheaper mobo, and put a little more into cpu(since you can really get a better gpu for the $ you'd get back)

If you click on the gear button just to the left of the buy button you can mark the item as already bought. If you also put in the price pcpartpicker will show the remaining cost and the total cost.

I would stay with the current cpu and motherboard. I am not familiar with the psu or even the brand. But it does claim to be rated for 700W, so it should have no problem handling a GTX 970.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Ah, thanks man. Yea it is a pretty expensive motherboard, especially if i dont intend to do any kind of crossfire or SLI, thanks.

Well, pretty much gaming. not really looking for 4K so ill stick at around 1080 or 1440p

If red is your build colour, you could go with something like this. 

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/hGsmNG

1231 V3 is basically an i7 without the integrated graphics, mobo is decent too.

You are moving to the UK ? You must be mad  :lol:

Your $900 won't get you the same spec over here. You might need to save a bit more.

Yeah, if gaming is your main goal then get a cheaper mobo, and put a little more into cpu(since you can really get a better gpu for the $ you'd get back)

I understand, yea I was looking at the price list and I can get it for a lot cheaper, maybe if enough on the mobo and other things I can get the next tier of GPU. Thanks

If you click on the gear button just to the left of the buy button you can mark the item as already bought. If you also put in the price pcpartpicker will show the remaining cost and the total cost.

I would stay with the current cpu and motherboard. I am not familiar with the psu or even the brand. But it does claim to be rated for 700W, so it should have no problem handling a GTX 970.

Oh, wow. I had no clue, thanks man! yea, ive been trying to read some reviews, but it seems to be a PSU only sold in Portugal or something, so its quite a small community.

If you could, I would stretch to either the 4670k or my fav the 4690k.

Intel i7 4790k | Corsair H110i GTX | MSI Z97S Krait | 16GB HyperX Fury | ASUS Strix GTX 970 | Samsung 850 EVO 120GB SSD | Seagate 1TB Hybrid SSHD | WD 3TB Green | Corsair TX750M | 

Corsair Graphite 760t White | 3x AOC i2267Fwh 21.5 inch IPS Monitor 1080p | Corsair Raptor k50 RGB | Logitech G500 | Blue Snowball

If red is your build colour, you could go with something like this. 

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/hGsmNG

1231 V3 is basically an i7 without the integrated graphics, mobo is decent too.

Well, it would be my first pick if i wanted to do a specific colour scheme in deed, but honestly I dont mind having it mixed and matched a little bit. Oh yea, that motherboard seems alright for a much cheaper deal.

You are moving to the UK ? You must be mad  :lol:

Your $900 won't get you the same spec over here. You might need to save a bit more.

Hahaha, well, i should have explained my self a bit, not really moving, but going to study in university 

Well, it would be my first pick if i wanted to do a specific colour scheme in deed, but honestly I dont mind having it mixed and matched a little bit. Oh yea, that motherboard seems alright for a much cheaper deal.

Hahaha, well, i should have explained my self a bit, not really moving, but going to study in university 

Parts are "slightly" more expensive in the UK. Your $900 will drop to £600 here if you bought it all here. If it's a possibility to buy it and bring it over, do it. But buy brands that are reputable so if you need to claim a warranty it's easier

If you could, I would stretch to either the 4670k or my fav the 4690k.

Id love to get a K series for the overclocking ability but im not too comfortable with it and i really don't know a lot about CPU over clocking, im sure there are great guides out there but i dont have confidence to over clock it, tried it with my current GPU, didnt go so well a few times for a few extra FPS, the PC rebooted but I managed to fix it and its fine

Parts are "slightly" more expensive in the UK. Your $900 will drop to £600 here if you bought it all here. If it's a possibility to buy it and bring it over, do it. But buy brands that are reputable so if you need to claim a warranty it's easier

Yea i get the feeling i should probably buy a few things here, but since I dont have the ability to get it from newegg here i could probably save a few if i order it from them

Yea i get the feeling i should probably buy a few things here, but since I dont have the ability to get it from newegg here i could probably save a few if i order it from them

Perhaps buy the "small things" (CPU, GPU?) in the USA, then buy things like your Case, PSU etc over here in the UK, so you don't have a lot to carry.

Perhaps buy the "small things" (CPU, GPU?) in the USA, then buy things like your Case, PSU etc over here in the UK, so you don't have a lot to carry.

Well, if I was in the USA I would, but yea, the case ill try and find some local shop in the UK where ill go so i dont have to carry some massive extra box.

Well, if I was in the USA I would, but yea, the case ill try and find some local shop in the UK where ill go so i dont have to carry some massive extra box.

Sorry, I thought you were in the USA. But yeah, there's plenty of PC shops in the UK

Sorry, I thought you were in the USA. But yeah, there's plenty of PC shops in the UK

do you think its better ordering online though (at least most of the times)?

do you think its better ordering online though (at least most of the times)?

Most of the time yes. Amazon, Overclockers, Dabs, Scan etc are your best bet in the UK for a case etc

Most of the time yes. Amazon, Overclockers, Dabs, Scan etc are your best bet in the UK for a case etc

yea, you mentioned a couple i had no clue existed, ok, thanks!

Id love to get a K series for the overclocking ability but im not too comfortable with it and i really don't know a lot about CPU over clocking, im sure there are great guides out there but i dont have confidence to over clock it, tried it with my current GPU, didnt go so well a few times for a few extra FPS, the PC rebooted but I managed to fix it and its fine

If youre not overclocking, why the Hyper 212x? You could have invested that 30$ more into a better Cpu, board, gpu, etc etc.

Quote me if you want me to see your message. Like my post if it helped. Click "Show More" to see things that I use.

Desktop (2014): CPU: Intel Core i5 4690k @ 3.50GHz | GPU: MSi GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Motherboard: MSi Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x4GB G.Skill RipJaws X 1600MHz + 2x4GB HyperX Black 1600MHz | SSD: Samsung 750 Evo 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB | Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212x | PSU: Corsair VS650 | Case: Cooler Master Elite 431 Plus | OS: Windows 10 Home

Laptop (2017): Model: Asus UX310U

Peripherals: Monitor: Samsung S24D300 OC@75Hz + Viewsonic XG2401 (144Hz) | Mouse: Logitech G305 | Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2 | Headset: HyperX Cloud Core | Speakers: Logitech Z333 | Additional: Logitech G29

Mobiles: Samsung Pixon (2010-2012) | Samsung Galaxy Ace (2012-2013) | Samsung Galaxy S3 (2013-2016) | Samsung Note 4 (2015)(Lost) | Samsung Galaxy S7 (2016-2019) | Samsung Galaxy S10 (2019 - Current) | Additional: ASUS Zenwatch 2 (2016)

If youre not overclocking, why the Hyper 212x? You could have invested that 30$ more into a better Cpu, board, gpu, etc etc.

Well, thats exactly why i asked for some help! since I dont really know a lot about mother boards i wanted some tips on that, but yea, thats what ill do