Hello, and thanks for reading this already!

I'm doubting between the NT-H1 and the Arctic Silver 5.

The NT-H1 oftenly seems superior, but apparently Silver is good in a thermal paste (which I'm guessing AS5 has :P)

What would you pick?

Thanks in advance!

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

龴 ͡ↀ ◡ ͡ↀ龴#locked( ͡͡ ° ͜ ʖ ͡ °)

Hello, and thanks for reading this already!

I'm doubting between the NT-H1 and the Arctic Silver 5.

The NT-H1 oftenly seems superior, but apparently Silver is good in a thermal paste (which I'm guessing AS5 has :P)

What would you pick?

Thanks in advance!

Whichever you want. I've used toothpaste before and it worked well.

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

AS5 is not good anymore. NT-H1 is better by far, but is prone to pumping out.

IC Diamond is a great paste and won't pump out and will last for years on end with a proper application.

Arctic Céramique 2 is another great paste in my testing, but I cannot guarantee such longevity as ICD.

Gelid GC Extreme is another fantastic paste.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

AS5 is really old...

NH-T1 and MX-4 are much better

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

AS5 is not good anymore. NT-H1 is better by far, but is prone to pumping out.

IC Diamond is a great paste and won't pump out and will last for years on end with a proper application.

Arctic Céramique 2 is another great paste in my testing, but I cannot guarantee such longevity as ICD.

Gelid GC Extreme is another fantastic paste.

arctic silver 5 is still great, nt-h1 is just a bit better.

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

Whatever, Im using "Industrial Grade" Amasan T12 and it suits me fine.
If you wont be overclocking like a madman it wont matter much.

post-58487-0-79990700-1421582971.jpg

post-58487-0-79990700-1421582971.jpg

My Gaming PC

|| CPU: Intel i5 4690@4.3Ghz || GPU: Dual ASUS gtx 1080 Strix. || RAM: 16gb (4x4gb) Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600Mhz. || Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait edition. || OS: Win10 Pro

Trust me, Im an Engineer

arctic silver 5 is still great, nt-h1 is just a bit better.

It is. It's even better than MX-4 actually. But that's considering low maximum temps. The lower the max temp of a benchmark (determined by the cooler) the closer each paste looks. For example: if you were to use a terrible stock cooler and overclock a CPU and were getting 90 degrees on MX-4, you might get 80 on NT-H1 or ICD. You might even get as low as 75 with a good application of Liquid Ultra. But if your max temp was 80, then maybe NT-H1 would be at 74 and ICD at 76 and MX-4 at 80.

If your max temp was 68, then the difference might be as little as 3 degrees with non-liquid metal pastes, and the liquid metal ones might top out at about 5 degrees cooler. In other words; as far as users are concerned, pointless.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

It is. It's even better than MX-4 actually. But that's considering low maximum temps. The lower the max temp of a benchmark (determined by the cooler) the closer each paste looks. For example: if you were to use a terrible stock cooler and overclock a CPU and were getting 90 degrees on MX-4, you might get 80 on NT-H1 or ICD. You might even get as low as 75 with a good application of Liquid Ultra. But if your max temp was 80, then maybe NT-H1 would be at 74 and ICD at 76 and MX-4 at 80.

If your max temp was 68, then the difference might be as little as 3 degrees with non-liquid metal pastes, and the liquid metal ones might top out at about 5 degrees cooler. In other words; as far as users are concerned, pointless.

Wow, I really don't know where you get your information but you need to do more research.

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

Wow, I really don't know where you get your information but you need to do more research.

I get my information from

1 - Using various pastes on my machine

2 - http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2285595 this thread

3 - A lot of other people testing stuff on notebooks, which usually get hotter, as well as a bunch of desktop users who top out in the 60s or less on their CPUs, who say anything other than MX-4 "isn't worth the extra 1-2 degrees".

YOU do some more research, please.

I get my information from

1 - Using various pastes on my machine

2 - http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2285595this thread

3 - A lot of other people testing stuff on notebooks, which usually get hotter, as well as a bunch of desktop users who top out in the 60s or less on their CPUs, who say anything other than MX-4 "isn't worth the extra 1-2 degrees".

YOU do some more research, please.

So from you own testing...great source.

So from you own testing...great source.

Ignoring the other sources? Nice counter.

Let me add the results table from that thread:

Pasteresults.jpg

Ignoring the other sources? Nice counter.

Let me add the results table from that thread:

Yeah start showing me results from legitimate review sites and then maybe we can talk. 

Yeah start showing me results from legitimate review sites and then maybe we can talk. 

Go ask a legitimate review site to do that. If you want to disregard anything that doesn't come from anandtech or tom's hardware, that's your loss and your stunted knowledge. Just don't go around spreading crap to people because of your limited views, else people might start listening to your 10 degree vision of knowledge. You asked for research and proof, but you only want it from one place. Go find it yourself then.

Go ask a legitimate review site to do that. If you want to disregard anything that doesn't come from anandtech or tom's hardware, that's your loss and your stunted knowledge. Just don't go around spreading crap to people because of your limited views, else people might start listening to your 10 degree vision of knowledge. You asked for research and proof, but you only want it from one place. Go find it yourself then.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Thermal-Compound-Roundup-February-2012/1490/5

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/geek_tested_17_thermal_pastes_face?page=0,1

Wow that was hard to find.

Worthless. Ambient temperatures and humidity were different.

No ambient temps were given, and Gelid, ICD, AC2 and Liquid Ultra were absent from this test. Close, but no cigar. The only interesting thing there was that NT-H1 was bad.

Try again though.

I'd also like to see whether or not the heatsink was lapped, and the application covering before and after. You know, like in the thread I linked you?

I tried both MX-4 and Gelid GC extreme. The difference between the two in my set up, i7 4790K @ 4.7GHz with H105, is like 1-2*C during stress tests. Not very big deal.

Worthless. Ambient temperatures and humidity were different.

No ambient temps were given, and Gelid, ICD, AC2 and Liquid Ultra were absent from this test. Close, but no cigar. The only interesting thing there was that NT-H1 was bad.

Try again though.

I'd also like to see whether or not the heatsink was lapped, and the application covering before and after. You know, like in the thread I linked you?

Sorry I couldn't find something so in depth after 5 seconds of searching. I have seen test after test after test that show nothing remotely like that in which you have. The difference between between high end non conductive thermal compound is never more than 2-3C and conductive pastes can usually be a few more degrees cooler than them.

• 5 years later...
On 3/1/2015 at 4:43 AM, SeanBond said:

Sorry I couldn't find something so in depth after 5 seconds of searching. I have seen test after test after test that show nothing remotely like that in which you have. The difference between between high end non conductive thermal compound is never more than 2-3C and conductive pastes can usually be a few more degrees cooler than them.

Wow, you're a complete tool, SB - I bet you're the LIFE of a party.  I had to fix my old ass account just to let you know.  Tool bag.  Complete with security hex set.

D2Ultima, Thank You!  Exactly the info I needed....  No difference for my home pc, although beefy, not OC and not trying to get into a pee pee contest over my setup.