Where to spend the money for my family's computer

logicalways

My son and I share the same PC. For christmas we built a new family computer together and selling our old one.

New PC Specs:

Corsair Air 540

Intel 4790k,

Asus Maximus VII Formula motherboard,

EVGA GTX 980 SC,

32gigs HyperX Savage Quad memory 1866mhz CL9 at 1.5v,

Noctual NH-L12 CPU Cooler,

3x 120mm Noctua Industrial PPC front intake,

2x 140mm Corsair AFL Top Exhaust Fans

1x 140mm Corsair AFL Rear Exhaust Fans

1x 240gig SSD OS Drive

2x 240gig SSD Raid 0 Gaming Drive

1x 2TB WD Black Storage Drive

1x Corsair AX860i PSU.

My son likes to game a lot (COD AW, Black Ops 2, Far Cry 4, AC Unity, Monopoly lol), he's 14, I do a little gaming mostly Assassins creed series and Skyrim and internet/online work.

My Question:

I'm selling our old PC for $650. Would it be worth putting that money towards watercooling the Corsair Air 540 computer in a custom loop with a single GTX 980 that it has OR would you guys save the money and buy a second matching GTX 980 for SLI and not water cool? Based on the specs above and knowning my 14 year old likes to game what would you do?

Dual GTX 980 in SLI or Customer water Cooling Loop?

SNIP

Water cooling is unecessary most of the time and generally over rated

I would go for a second GPU, or a bettert monitor, or something else more important for the pc

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Another 980 in SLi wouldn't be necessary unless you plan to game at 4K at 60FPS. I'd definitely invest in a custom loop before another 980! :-) Of the two options listed specifically, anyway!

Water cooling is unecessary most of the time and generally over rated

I would go for a second GPU, or a bettert monitor, or something else more important for the pc

its not good, definitly not for the price, but it looks really cool

i would not go for either a new 980 or watercooling, just save the money

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

Water cooling is great for enthusiast who loves building custom rigs, but for gaming I'd say second 980. Not sure if it will help as not all games support 2xgpus. Even one will be great.

EVGA SR-2 / 2x Intel Xeon X5675 4.4Ghz OC / 24GB EEC 1800Mhz OC/ AMD RX570 / Enermax Evoliution 1050W / Main RAID 0: 2x256GB 840EVO SSD / BackUp(1) Raid 5: 3x2TB WD HDD / BackUp(2) 8x2TB / Dell U2412M / Dell U2312HM

My son and I share the same PC. For christmas we built a new family computer together and selling our old one.

New PC Specs:

Corsair Air 540

Intel 4790k,

Asus Maximus VII Formula motherboard,

EVGA GTX 980 SC,

32gigs HyperX Savage Quad memory 1866mhz CL9 at 1.5v,

Noctual NH-L12 CPU Cooler,

3x 120mm Noctua Industrial PPC front intake,

2x 140mm Corsair AFL Top Exhaust Fans

1x 140mm Corsair AFL Rear Exhaust Fans

1x 240gig SSD OS Drive

2x 240gig SSD Raid 0 Gaming Drive

1x 2TB WD Black Storage Drive

1x Corsair AX860i PSU.

My son likes to game a lot (COD AW, Black Ops 2, Far Cry 4, AC Unity, Monopoly lol), he's 14, I do a little gaming mostly Assassins creed series and Skyrim and internet/online work.

My Question:

I'm selling our old PC for $650. Would it be worth putting that money towards watercooling the Corsair Air 540 computer in a custom loop with a single GTX 980 that it has OR would you guys save the money and buy a second matching GTX 980 for SLI and not water cool? Based on the specs above and knowning my 14 year old likes to game what would you do?

Dual GTX 980 in SLI or Customer water Cooling Loop?

Maybe a GTX970. VP7. Ram go for 1600 CAS 7 8-16GB. M2. 2280 SSD. 1-2TB HDD will be enough use (WD Se) you want your HDD to last. Non-isolated pc when affected by virus you won't need to scan the main pc the whole day.

its not good, definitly not for the price, but it looks really cool

i would not go for either a new 980 or watercooling, just save the money

it looks cool and is great for awesome looking custom builds and people who are heavily into overclocking etc

for the average family and gamer, its WAY overkill

@logicalways

If you are playing at 1440p, surround monitors or 4k, then sli 980s are a great choice, if gaming at 1080 or 1440p 60,  a single 980 will still play everything on high/ultra

could spend that money on speakers, headsets, a better chair maybe?

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I have 3x Asus VG248QE and 1x Asus PA248Q IPS display. Play games on my 3 Asus VG monitors at 144Hz at 1080p

Thanks everyone for your help so quickly. I wasn't expecting such a quick response. I have a feeling my son is saving his money for a 4k display which is going to scare me if he does save enough to buy one haha. that might change a few things in peoples answers.

If you want a project that you and your son can work on together and if you don't mind the pc being out of service for at least a few days, go with the custom loop. Otherwise, if you are playing at 1080 I would suggest banking the funds for future upgrades.

Thanks everyone for your help so quickly. I wasn't expecting such a quick response. I have a feeling my son is saving his money for a 4k display which is going to scare me if he does save enough to buy one haha. that might change a few things in peoples answers.

I guess its the second GTX 980.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Okay, Looks like a second GTX 980 will be saved up for.

We have a house rule in the house that all money from sales go to upgrades or replacements of items. Such as, If we sell a PC, it goes to the financing of a new PC or upgrade of a PC. so we have multiple savings accounts for various projects around the house hold from computers, home entertainment systems, kitchen/appliances etc.. it takes longer to save sometimes but it's not extra money out of pocket if we can help it.

Thank You Again for all your help.