21:9 Owners

EntAsia

Do you guys think you'll switch back to 16:9 after using 21:9?

never #ultrawidemasterrace

edit: I could if I get a 30+in monitor

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

My experience is that I don't like the 21:9 1080p ones, but the 1440p ones...that's where it's at! 

That said, I don't own a 1440p one, and the 1080p one is the only one I've used for an extended period of time. I almost got one but decided for a cheaper 16:9 1440p monitor for now, and add another later. Just couldn't justify the cost. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Honestly.....maybe. I bought my Dell U3415 to replace two dying Dell 2709W (16:10) monitors...and I've ended up using all of them. I don't know what I will do when the 27s die, as the 21:9 doesn't replace them well enough for my use case.

The ultrawide 34" is NOT the same height as a 27 16:10, it is a good inch shorter despite the higher vertical resolution, possibly due to the 16:10 aspect ratio. This was surprising to me in wake of the reviews I read, and a bummer to see in person. I don't understand how people can deal with the 29 or even 25" ultrawides, you would have almost no vertical height!

I use my computer differently from what a lot of folks do here, so keep that in mind. These monitors are used both for professional work and for home entertainment, hence my mini review below.

The ultrawide is not fantastic for CAD use, as I prefer a squarer workspace for that application. Coding/matlab/simulink use, it is fantastic for: you can place the workspace and the code and the plots all side by side. Movies could be great but I've only tried it via Netflix/Amazon streaming, which doesn't support 21:9, so that was incredibly disappointing. Gaming is nice when the game is compatible, but most of the games I play are too old to have fixes/hacks to work well with the resolution. The monitor is great for Excel use for large datasets and models, being able to have word docs open side by side by side is great, or side by side with powerpoint slides. I generally use it split in thirds, I find that has the best workspace/workflow for me.

I do still use my 16:10s though. I much prefer that aspect ratio for a lot of things, specifically CAD use and things that are more height limited (often, certain excel and powerpoint situations). I also prefer using them for streaming video since it scales much nicer. I really don't care for 16:9, which has been reinfoced by needing to force the 21:9 into that aspect ratio for certain games (curse you, ME1).

Would I buy the ultrawide again? Yes, absolutely. I really like it for most of my use and it really helps productivity (again, for most of what I choose/get paid to do). Would/could it ever replace my 16:10s as my only monitor? No. Not unless 21:10 becomes a thing. Vertical height needs to come back into vogue. Until then, it is a great primary display with the 16:10s as great supplements.

Honestly.....maybe. I bought my Dell U3415 to replace two dying Dell 2709W (16:10) monitors...and I've ended up using all of them. I don't know what I will do when the 27s die, as the 21:9 doesn't replace them well enough for my use case.

The ultrawide 34" is NOT the same height as a 27 16:10, it is a good inch shorter despite the higher vertical resolution, possibly due to the 16:10 aspect ratio. This was surprising to me in wake of the reviews I read, and a bummer to see in person. I don't understand how people can deal with the 29 or even 25" ultrawides, you would have almost no vertical height!

I use my computer differently from what a lot of folks do here, so keep that in mind. These monitors are used both for professional work and for home entertainment, hence my mini review below.

The ultrawide is not fantastic for CAD use, as I prefer a squarer workspace for that application. Coding/matlab/simulink use, it is fantastic for: you can place the workspace and the code and the plots all side by side. Movies could be great but I've only tried it via Netflix/Amazon streaming, which doesn't support 21:9, so that was incredibly disappointing. Gaming is nice when the game is compatible, but most of the games I play are too old to have fixes/hacks to work well with the resolution. The monitor is great for Excel use for large datasets and models, being able to have word docs open side by side by side is great, or side by side with powerpoint slides. I generally use it split in thirds, I find that has the best workspace/workflow for me.

I do still use my 16:10s though. I much prefer that aspect ratio for a lot of things, specifically CAD use and things that are more height limited (often, certain excel and powerpoint situations). I also prefer using them for streaming video since it scales much nicer. I really don't care for 16:9, which has been reinfoced by needing to force the 21:9 into that aspect ratio for certain games (curse you, ME1).

Would I buy the ultrawide again? Yes, absolutely. I really like it for most of my use and it really helps productivity (again, for most of what I choose/get paid to do). Would/could it ever replace my 16:10s as my only monitor? No. Not unless 21:10 becomes a thing. Vertical height needs to come back into vogue. Until then, it is a great primary display with the 16:10s as great supplements.

Thanks for that mini review. It certainly gives one food for thought. Nice! :)

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

I'm replacing my trusty Dell 2405 with the 3415, so I won't get any reduction in vertical area, but a slight increase in fact.

I'll be using it mainly for composing/arranging (music) with a bit of gaming, so the horizontal area will be brilliant for me, and I very seriously doubt that I will go back to 16:10.

On the Netflix issue, I think I saw that someone had made some sort of a plugin/add-on specifically for that, but I can't remember where. :-( I don't use Netflix, I have another service, but it'll be interesting to see how compatible it'll be.

nah, never... just like you would never again use a laptop touchpad once you have used a mouse; or never using an HDD primary once you had an SSD; variable refresh rate vs static also

I'd honestly never consider going back to 16:9 unless my new 21:9 broke and I was completely broke. If that was the case, however, I'd instead get a trash 4:3 monitor from a thrift store and just save every penny I get to get a new 21:9 as soon as physically possible.

CPU: AMD FX 8120 (OC'd to 3.8 Ghz) | CPU Cooler: XSPC Raystorm with 240mm rad | GPU: EVGA GTX 660 | RAM: 32 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz | Monitor: LG 34um65 primary, Acer P191w secondary in portrait | 120 GB SSD + 2 TB HDD + 640 GB HDD + 250 GB HDD | Corsair 750w PSU | Motherboard: MSI 990FXA-GD65v2 | Mouse: Razer Naga 2014 | Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow | Headset: Turtle Beach PX3.

Why not both? :D I've got a 27" 144hz as bottom monitor and AOC 21:9 mounted above it coz why not? :P

Why not both? :D I've got a 27" 144hz as bottom monitor and AOC 21:9 mounted above it coz why not? :P

Got a pic of that? :D

Do you guys think you'll switch back to 16:9 after using 21:9?

I just to an LG 29um55 from a 32" hdtv.....  All I have to say is I wish I would have spent the money on a monitor years ago..

The 2560x1080 resolution isnt as short as I thought it would be after doing some gaming on it... 

CPU:I5-6600k@4.5ghz/AMD FX8350 CPU Cooler:Croyrig H5u/CM Hyper 212evo GPU:Sapphire Nitro Fury/MSI R290 Gamer Motherboard:Gigabyte GA-Z170x Gaming5/Gigabyte 990fxa ud3 Memory:16g Gskillddr4 3000/16gb Gskill Ripjaws DDR2400 HardDrives:Samsung 850evo m.2 250gig/Samsung 850 Pro 120gig, WD 1tb Black Monitor: LG29um55

I have the LG 25UM64-S Black 25 and i really don't mine the 2560x1080 for gaming and since i got mine my bother got one too i really don't think i would go back but i am still have my 16:9 as a second display.

Needs Update

I'm now pondering on a couple of 20" monitors to run off to the sides of the 29" LG 29um55 21:9 monitor... The 29"ultra wide is pretty nice, you dont realize the vertical height when you get in a game...... 

The only other thing I would do is go to the 34" LG 34um95 3440x1440 monitor..

CPU:I5-6600k@4.5ghz/AMD FX8350 CPU Cooler:Croyrig H5u/CM Hyper 212evo GPU:Sapphire Nitro Fury/MSI R290 Gamer Motherboard:Gigabyte GA-Z170x Gaming5/Gigabyte 990fxa ud3 Memory:16g Gskillddr4 3000/16gb Gskill Ripjaws DDR2400 HardDrives:Samsung 850evo m.2 250gig/Samsung 850 Pro 120gig, WD 1tb Black Monitor: LG29um55

I'm now pondering on a couple of 20" monitors to run off to the sides of the 29" LG 29um55 21:9 monitor... The 29"ultra wide is pretty nice, you dont realize the vertical height when you get in a game.

I would actually recommend that you get two 23" monitors as oppose to 20" ones, most 20" monitors come with a 1600x900 resolution, plus the 29" UltraWide is equivalent in height to a 23" display.

Have a look: http://www.displaywars.com/23-inch-16x9-vs-29-inch-21x9

The only other thing I would do is go to the 34" LG 34um95 3440x1440 monitor..

That's what I'm getting with my video editing build. :)

I would actually recommend that you get two 23" monitors as oppose to 20" ones, most 20" monitors come with a 1600x900 resolution, plus the 29" UltraWide is equivalent in height to a 23" display.

Have a look: http://www.displaywars.com/23-inch-16x9-vs-29-inch-21x9

That's what I'm getting with my video editing build. :)

I like this 21:9 so much I might just start saving for a 34um95 after coming from a 32" hdtv to the 29" LG 29um55 is pretty darned nice.. I bet the 34" LG is that much nicer...

the 34um95 and a couple of matching 27" monitors would be very sweet..   Maybe when I'm rich, but then if I was rich I'd have 3 of the 34um95's lol..