MSI Gaming Mobos

Is it worth spending the extra money for a MSI Gaming 5/7 instead of the Gaming 3? I look around and the only difference I could spot was the outputs... 8 USB 3.0 is a bit over kill for my use and I don't need the 2 HDMI as I'm going to use a GPU. Is there any other significant differences in them?

Thanks. :)

Is it a big difference in performance when gaming?

BTW: Im going to use a i7 4790k with it and i plan to oc a bit with the OC Genie

BTW: Im going to use a i7 4790k with it and i plan to oc a bit with the OC Genie

Don't bother using OC Genie do it manually and there will be no difference in gaming at all the motherboard doesn't matter as long as it fits the CPU.

1. No, it wont affect framerates.

2. I would get the gaming 5 or 7, if you plan to overclock much and your getting that nice of a CPU.

You could get a dirt cheap crap-looking biostar 30$ board and the framerates won't be affected

CPU: i5-6600k @ 4.4GHz | Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming | RAM: 8GB HyperX Fury | GPU: Asus Strix GTX 980 | Case: NZXT Noctis 450 Red/Black | Storage: 256GB Sandisk SSD + 1TB Western Digital HDD | PSU: EVGA 750w | Monitor: ASUS VS247H | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Keyboard: $15 Cheapo Rubber Dome Keyboard | Mouse: Rosewill RGM-300

Linus Tech Tips Pebble (and Pebble Time) notifier watchface!

Is it worth spending the extra money for a MSI Gaming 5/7 instead of the Gaming 3? I look around and the only difference I could spot was the outputs... 8 USB 3.0 is a bit over kill for my use and I don't need the 2 HDMI as I'm going to use a GPU. Is there any other significant differences in them?

Thanks. :)

look at the MSI Krait Z97S, its basically the same as a 5 and can take SLI and a lot cheaper

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 @1500mhz + 8000Mhz CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k Delided and Overclocked @4.8  MB: ASUS MAXIMUS VIII IMPACT  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory CPU Cooler: Corsair HG10+ H90 +H90 CASE: Corsair 380T  Storage: 120GB Samsung Evo SSD + Crucail 256GB Mx100 + 2TB Seagate/  OS: Windows 10 64bit Power supply:  Corsair RM750

The price gap between the 3 and 5 isn't big so ill go for the 5 I guess, Thanks guys!! :)

The price gap between the 3 and 5 isn't big so ill go for the 5 I guess, Thanks guys!! :)

one the big difference between 3 and 5 is 3 takes 1 GPU and 5 can do SLI if im not mistaken.

you can compare them on MSI website

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 @1500mhz + 8000Mhz CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k Delided and Overclocked @4.8  MB: ASUS MAXIMUS VIII IMPACT  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory CPU Cooler: Corsair HG10+ H90 +H90 CASE: Corsair 380T  Storage: 120GB Samsung Evo SSD + Crucail 256GB Mx100 + 2TB Seagate/  OS: Windows 10 64bit Power supply:  Corsair RM750

one the big difference between 3 and 5 is 3 takes 1 GPU and 5 can do SLI if im not mistaken.

you can compare them on MSI website

I did, so I decided I'll wait till I decide which GPU should I get. If Geforce then I'll get the Gaming 5. :)

EDIT: In case I ever want to SLI.

I did, so I decided I'll wait till I decide which GPU should I get. If Geforce then I'll get the Gaming 5. :)

EDIT: In case I ever want to SLI.

compare the MSI gaming 5 and the MSi Z97S Krait you will see nearly no difference and its cheaper

compare the MSI gaming 5 and the MSi Z97S Krait you will see nearly no difference and its cheaper

Its not much cheaper plus im going for a red build :)

I had the Gaming 5 but had 2 fail straight up, was really bummed as they look mint.

CPU: 4690k - 4.5@1.29v  GPU: GTX 780ti - core +100 / Mem+350 Motherboard: Asus Z97-A  SSD: 256Gb 840 Evo HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB  RAM: Corsair Vengance Pro 2x4Gb  Case: White H440  PSU: RM850  Cooling: NZXT Kraken X60