Windows 8.1 doesn't recognize Hard Drive

Bruce180

Hi everyone!, yesterday I installed my new Samsung 850 EVO ssd which i'm using as boot drive, before i got my hands on this ssd, i was being using a WD Blue as the boot drive plus an extra WD Blue as storage, the thing is, after setting everything up on the BIOS, when i boot windows, the only drive that i can use are the ssd and the storage one, the former boot drive does not show up at all. I tried booting win7 from the other drive and it works just fine, but for some reason when i tried to use it from win8 (on the ssd) i can't. When I go to This PC>Manage>Disk Management the drive doesn't show up either.

I hope someone can help me fix this issue,

Thanks in advance

Just to be clear, your former boot drive shows in BIOS and is bootable but does not show in Windows?

That must be software, its possible you plugged the blue into a different controller which Windows doesn't recognise.

Could you please open up device manager, take a screen shot and post it here.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

i unhooked the drive and plug it into another sata port, i booted the wd blue with win7 in it, it made some kind of revision of the ssd, i moved stuff between the 3 drives, shutted down and booted from the ssd with win8 and the drive was working, i don't really know what happened there but it worked,

thanks you very much for your help!

Hi everyone!, yesterday I installed my new Samsung 850 EVO ssd which i'm using as boot drive, before i got my hands on this ssd, i was being using a WD Blue as the boot drive plus an extra WD Blue as storage, the thing is, after setting everything up on the BIOS, when i boot windows, the only drive that i can use are the ssd and the storage one, the former boot drive does not show up at all. I tried booting win7 from the other drive and it works just fine, but for some reason when i tried to use it from win8 (on the ssd) i can't. When I go to This PC>Manage>Disk Management the drive doesn't show up either.

I hope someone can help me fix this issue,

Thanks in advance

Hello Bruce180 and welcome to Linus Tech Tips forum :)

Sometimes when you already have a boot drive and try to install another OS on another drive this could happen. It is recommended to have all your drives plugged out except the drive that you are installing the OS to, boot to configure it and then replug the old drives. :)

Glad to hear you got the issue resolved. If you remember what you did, it would be helpful to post it here so other people can check it out if they encounter similar problems.

Cheers,

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/