How to Know is my GPU new?

lovingGamer

I bought a MSI r9 280X really cheap, and now i'm having second thoughts is it brand new?, card looks new i got warranty but it could be fake..

I bought a MSI r9 280X really cheap, and now i'm having second thoughts is it brand new?, card looks new i got warranty but it could be fake..

Can you register the serial number? 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

How to tell it's new:

It doesn't have dirt, doesn't look ugly, feels new. And how an MSI R9 280x can be fake? You can find it out in GPU-Z or inside the AMD Software/driver.

Also, where did you buy it from? From a guy? from a store? or what... did it come with all the accessories? etc

Security Analyst & Tech Enthusiast

Ask me anything.

How to tell it's new:

It doesn't have dirt, doesn't look ugly, feels new. And how an MSI R9 280x can be fake? You can find it out in GPU-Z or inside the AMD Software/driver.

Also, where did you buy it from? From a guy? from a store? or what... did it come with all the accessories? etc

yes it did.. everything looks new but still feels like it is used idk why

Where did you buy it from?

from store in my Country. Bosnia

Can you register the serial number? 

how to do that? is serial number on box?

yes it will be on the box, and on a sticker on the card

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB

yes it did.. everything looks new but still feels like it is used idk why

How does it feel new? Describe...

Security Analyst & Tech Enthusiast

Ask me anything.

how to do that? is serial number on box?

Serial numbers are on boxes or on a sticker on the GPU.

A serial number is never usually transferable. The serial number is most of the time bound to the original owner. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

How does it feel new? Describe...

I'm having this feeling only cause i purchased that GPU really cheap, how can seller profit from that GPU if he sells it really cheap..

I mean really cheap

could you take a picture of the GPU and post it here 

l Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.5Ghz l Asus VII Ranger ROG l MSI GTX 970 @ 1555MHz l 

PC PART PICKER

Serial numbers are on boxes or on a sticker on the GPU.

A serial number is never usually transferable. The serial number is most of the time bound to the original owner. 

I can't find Serial numbers!

NOW I'M SCARED!!!

could you take a picture of the GPU and post it here 

it looks new, brand new you can't tell.

But if it was used, seller could clean it with air compressor.

it could be stolen, i don't think someone would remove the serial number stickers for a used graphics card

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB

Where would the problem be with a used GPU?

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

I can't find Serial numbers!

NOW I'M SCARED!!!

then it is a used card. People record serial numbers so you can't get warranty off them i think. 

Although do give the box and card a good look. 

My SN is on the thin box side and near the bottom. 

post-62428-0-86206600-1425136438_thumb.j

post-62428-0-86206600-1425136438_thumb.j

well, for the OP's sake i won't go into the worst case scenario but ya it is cause for concern. thankfully the worst case scenario for a used gpu isn't likely to be sold in stores (at least i'd hope not)

My rig:

maybe mining?

maybe mining?

Whats the problem with GPUs that were used for mining ?

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

then it is a used card. People record serial numbers so you can't get warranty off them i think. 

Although do give the box and card a good look. 

My SN is on the thin box side and near the bottom. 

attachicon.gifPicture 11.jpg

On box i found S/N and some numbers what now?

Whats the problem with GPUs that were used for mining ?

you really don't know or ? :D

They are bad, usually after purchase they work 3 months and dead!.

you really don't know or ? :D

They are bad, usually after purchase they work 3 months and dead!.

I can't imagine just because those cards run so often that they are worse than normal ones, as long as they are not OCed (normally they are even under voltaged) I don't see a problem but maybe there is something I missed out

I can't imagine just because those cards run so often that they are worse than normal ones, as long as they are not OCed (normally they are even under voltaged) I don't see a problem but maybe there is something I missed out

they run 24/7

For 6 Months no stop, that is bad for GPU.