8350 Overclocking help

So i've got my FX 8350 upto 4.5Ghz pretty easily. I just cant seem to get it upto 4.6Ghz, ive put it upto 1.4 volts and a core fails within prime95. Even with 1.45 it fails. Is there anything else i could do yo try and get it higher than 4.5Ghz?

Thanks!!

CPU Intel i7-6700k | Motherboard ASUS Maximus Hero VIII | GPU MSI GTX 970 | RAM 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz | Cooling Noctua NH-D15 | Storage 240GB Crucial M500; 2TB Seagate Barracuda | PSU EVGA 850w | Case Phatek Enthoo Pro M Acrylic

crank the voltage higher.

How come some people have been able to get 4.8Ghz at 1.45 volts but mine wont even do 4.6? Also what is the safe limit of voltage to throw at it?

CPU Intel i7-6700k | Motherboard ASUS Maximus Hero VIII | GPU MSI GTX 970 | RAM 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz | Cooling Noctua NH-D15 | Storage 240GB Crucial M500; 2TB Seagate Barracuda | PSU EVGA 850w | Case Phatek Enthoo Pro M Acrylic

How come some people have been able to get 4.8Ghz at 1.45 volts but mine wont even do 4.6? Also what is the safe limit of voltage to throw at it?

It's called the silicon lottery. You can get amazingly lucky CPUs, where you can have a low voltage, but a high clock speeds, but some unlucky ones where it's the complete opposite.

It's called the silicon lottery. You can get amazingly lucky CPUs, where you can have a low voltage, but a high clock speeds, but some unlucky ones where it's the complete opposite.

^ this guy said it perfectly. its a little wierd tho.

So should i just keep on increasing cpu voltage until its stable? Would be great to hit 4.8 but i doubt i will

So should i just keep on increasing cpu voltage until its stable? Would be great to hit 4.8 but i doubt i will

correct.

So i've got my FX 8350 upto 4.5Ghz pretty easily. I just cant seem to get it upto 4.6Ghz, ive put it upto 1.4 volts and a core fails within prime95. Even with 1.45 it fails. Is there anything else i could do yo try and get it higher than 4.5Ghz?

Thanks!!

first please dont use prime95, use occt or aida64, second you may achive 4.7ghz with 1.425v, but it depends on your power delivery quality and in the end your cpu may not be able to go faster then 4.5, it depends on silicon lottery

first please dont use prime95, use occt or aida64, second you may achive 4.7ghz with 1.425v, but it depends on your power delivery quality and in the end your cpu may not be able to go faster then 4.5, it depends on silicon lottery

What program would you say to use then?

correct.

What sort of voltage would you say would be too much?

dont use prime 95 for stability on fx8. it will have a core fail sometimes even at stock settings. use aida or occt or intel burn test.

i always just used ibt and did a 10 pass standard test, if it passes that its stable. im sure you could get at least 4.8.

as far as voltage anything under 1.45 is gravy over that is danger zone.

i do recall some people having to go as high as 1.48 for 4.8ghz,and 1.5 for 5ghz+

in case you dont have it, put some fans on top of your northbridge heatsinks,for higher clocks they sure help.

screenshot from when i owned 8350 and ran at 4.8

2rop6qh.jpg

cpu:i7-4770k    gpu: msi reference r9 290x  liquid cooled with h55 and hg10 a1     motherboard:z97x gaming 5   ram:gskill sniper 8 gb

What sort of voltage would you say would be too much?

Go little by little untill its stable, just be sure you got good cooling,

dont use prime 95 for stability on fx8. it will have a core fail sometimes even at stock settings. use aida or occt or intel burn test.

i always just used ibt and did a 10 pass standard test, if it passes that its stable. im sure you could get at least 4.8.

as far as voltage anything under 1.45 is gravy over that is danger zone.

i do recall some people having to go as high as 1.48 for 4.8ghz,and 1.5 for 5ghz+

in case you dont have it, put some fans on top of your northbridge heatsinks,for higher clocks they sure help.

screenshot from when i owned 8350 and ran at 4.8

2rop6qh.jpg

Im guessing that overclock by the multiplier would yield higher overclocks?

Go little by little untill its stable, just be sure you got good cooling,

Do you think i would get higher clocks and performance by putting up the multiplier or the bus clocks?

Do you think i would get higher clocks and performance by putting up the multiplier or the bus clocks?

Multiplier

the bus clock its a litle tricky, it would chenge ram and, HT, and cpuNB clock causing instability, just stay with the multiplier.

but if you can increase to bus clock and get the cpu to be stable you would get better performance:

220(bus speed)*22 is better than 200(bus speed)*24 at least in my personal experience, but its more dificult to make the sistem stable

Im guessing that overclock by the multiplier would yield higher overclocks?

overclocking by mutiplier is alot easier to get stable than raising bus/fsb because raising those increases settings of a few other things too.but increasing bus also increases single core speed which is what you want with these fx8's.

you get the best of both worlds by raising both multiplier and bus but thats the hardest to get stable.

start with multipier first.

if raising bus you have to lower your ram speeds

cpu:i7-4770k    gpu: msi reference r9 290x  liquid cooled with h55 and hg10 a1     motherboard:z97x gaming 5   ram:gskill sniper 8 gb

overclocking by mutiplier is alot easier to get stable than raising bus/fsb because raising those increases settings of a few other things too.but increasing bus also increases single core speed which is what you want with these fx8's.

you get the best of both worlds by raising both multiplier and bus but thats the hardest to get stable.

start with multipier first.

if raising bus you have to lower your ram speeds

Ok i will do it with the multiplier first and then if i can get it stable, i'll start dropping the multiplier and upping the bus speed

Settings that ive used for 4.8Ghz. Northbridge overclocking.

- cool n quiet:                   allways disabled

- C1E:                               disabled

- SVM:                              disabled

- core C6 state:                disabled.

- HPC:                              Enabled

- APM:                              disabled.

Ai tweaker:

- cpu ratio:                        20

- cpu bus:                         240

- Turbo,                            Disabled.

- Memory:                         select the stockspeeds of your rams. (will get overclocked by the bus ratio aswell

- Cpu spread spectrum:    disabled

Voltages:

- CPU & NB voltage:          manual mode

- CPU voltage:                  1.45V

LLC settings:

- CPU LLC:                        Ultra high

- CPU / NB LLC:                 high

- Cpu current capabillity:   130%

This worked fine on my Asus board + FX8350.

But offcourse its a matter of silicon luck :)

Ai tweaker:

- Memory:                         select the stockspeeds of your rams. (will get overclocked by the bus ratio aswell

Voltages:

LLC settings:

Thanks!! Will definitely give this a go and get back to you

Ai tweaker:

Voltages:

LLC settings:

Just tried it, and even at 4.6Ghz Intel Burn test says its unstable.... eugh

Just tried it, and even at 4.6Ghz Intel Burn test says its unstable.... eugh

hmm that sucks.

maybe add a bit more voltage to the chip.

pin it on 1.48V.

you could also play abit arround with the bus and cpu ratio if you like to.

like backing off the the bus to 220. and bump up the cpu ratio.

like 22 x 220 or what not.