[Overclock]Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 help asap

Gin Ltd
Go to solution Solved by harrynowl,

Sir, hmm Is it okay to not sync the Processor frequency with the Ram frequency?

if its okay, I will be contented with 3GHz (375MHz x 8)

what should my vcore possible settings sir?

Well from 333->375 will give your ram a small frequency bump, you can just knock it down 1 frequency step.

I'd leave vcore at defaults for now. Most chips don't need extra voltage for such a small overclock- you'll probably be limited by your chipset (g31) before chip or voltage.

Please advice me for the right setting for OCing my old processor Q8400

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 @ 2.66Ghz

Mobo: Gigabyte G31M-ES2C

RAM: 2x DDR2 800MHz (2GB)

Graphic: GT430

My current settings for OC: @2.8GHz w/ stock cooler

400Mhz x 7

Memory x 2 multiplier (Timings: 555-18)

PCIE (Auto) 100Mhz

Vcore: 1.3250v

Is this settings okay? I already try 1.20v and its stable in PRIME95

Prime95 Settings: (Custom)

4 threads

1344K-1792K (mix-max FFT)

1500 MB (Memory)

3 minutes

And I'm planning to reach only 3.2GHz (400Mhz x 8)
what settings do I need?

Just move up to 3.2GHz, with the same voltage. 

I wouldn't use Prime95, it pushes the CPU beyond it's day to day limits. Try the Intel OC tools or OCCT. - Should atleast run OCCT/Intel tool for at least a few hours to check stability.

If it's not stable at the same voltage, gradually increase voltage, then test. If it crashes then raise voltage. Rinse and repeat. 

I wouldn't really run about 1.35V though. 

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

Just move up to 3.2GHz, with the same voltage. 

I wouldn't use Prime95, it pushes the CPU beyond it's day to day limits. Try the Intel OC tools or OCCT. - Should atleast run OCCT/Intel tool for at least a few hours to check stability.

If it's not stable at the same voltage, gradually increase voltage, then test. If it crashes then raise voltage. Rinse and repeat. 

I wouldn't really run about 1.35V though. 

How about set my voltage to Auto?

at Auto in CPUZ the voltage is at 1.328~1.344v

and with 3.2GHz, is it okay with stock cooler? I don't have the budget to buy a new good cooler

How about set my voltage to Auto?

at Auto in CPUZ the voltage is at 1.344v

You can try that voltage and run OCCT/Intel OC Tool. 

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

You can try that voltage and run OCCT/Intel OC Tool. 

so setting the voltage to auto is good?

so setting the voltage to auto is good?

You can try it, it might not be stable though. 

400 on that G31 board is a bit of a stretch. I'd start with 375 at default voltages.

Sir, sorry I'm new to overclocking.

Can you explain why 400Mhz on G31 board is a bit of a stretch?

Advance thank you for further explanation.

Sir, sorry I'm new to overclocking.

Can you explain why 400Mhz on G31 board is a bit of a stretch?

Advance thank you for further explanation.

G31 is a very entry level chipset that wasn't made with overclocking in mind (unlike P35 or P45), so it isn't really capable of pushing big overclocks.

G31 is a very entry level chipset that wasn't made with overclocking in mind (unlike P35 or P45), so it isn't really capable of pushing big overclocks.

Well from 333->375 will give your ram a small frequency bump, you can just knock it down 1 frequency step.

I'd leave vcore at defaults for now. Most chips don't need extra voltage for such a small overclock- you'll probably be limited by your chipset (g31) before chip or voltage.

Okay, I will try now 3GHz(375Mhz x 8) with voltage set to normal around (1.28v). and I will try IntelBurnTest

Update:

3 Ghz (375 Mhz x 8)

Voltage (Normal) around 1.248v

Stock Cooler (39 ~ 42 C)

This settings seems Stable. When I try IntelBurnTest, in less than 3 to 5 seconds the temperature suddenly increase up to 80~90+ so I stop it.

I will just use Prime95 with custom settings of (1344 ~1792 FFT) is this settings really good for stress test?