73 % of SSD owners won't experience malfunction of SSDs – study

Rohith_Kumar_Sp

The original title was "27 % of SSD owners experience malfunction of SSDs – study". fascinating how a title can change what people perceive something.

OP : I have a Samsung 840 pro , works perfectly fine ,i have seen all the videos about testing the SSD's under intense test, never thought the malfunction/failure rate would be 27% or how true that is 

Kroll Ontrack, a leading provider of data recovery services, revealed this week that while there are a lot of people who already take advantage of solid-state drives, many of them also have experienced failures of such drives and data loss. Apparently, the amount of people, who suffered an SSD malfunction is rather high.

In the U.K., 27 per cent of respondents of Kroll’s survey had experienced a failure of their SSD and of these 56 per cent experienced data loss as a result. Only 26 per cent were able to recover their data following a failure. It should be noted that many people use older SSDs, which are reaching their end-of-life, therefore, it is not surprising that many of those SSDs are failing. Unfortunately, it is pretty hard to recover data from solid-state drives.

“In the case of SSD technology, data resides in a more scattered format on the drive as compared to traditional hard drive media where data is stored more linearly, adding complexity to SSD data recovery scenarios,” said Paul Le Messurier, programme and operations manager at Kroll Ontrack. “Further, although consolidation in the SSD industry is occurring, data layout and organisation on SSD mediums are still not standardised, driving the need for custom recovery solutions based on the specific manufacturer and model of the device.

seagate_ssd_3.jpg

Of about two thousand survey respondents, over 75 per cent use SSD technology in laptop and/or mobile devices, 60 per cent in desktop computers and about 20 per cent in server environments. The survey unsurprisingly found that the majority of SSD owners praise performance of solid-state drives and only 10 per cent note reliability and energy-efficiently.

While it is clear that SSDs cannot be damaged as easily as traditional hard disk drives, they can failure because of other reasons, including imperfections of controllers and NAND flash management as well as malfunction of memory itself.

“SSD technology provides exceptional speed and performance benefits when managing and working within large data environments, and organisations are taking advantage,” said said Mr. Le Messurier. “Despite the many benefits of SSD technology – including reliability – data loss continues to impact SSD devices, just like any other storage device.”

Source : http://www.kitguru.net/components/ssd-drives/anton-shilov/27-of-ssd-owners-experienced-malfunction-of-ssds-study/

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

I'm keeping my HDD  :wub:

I cant be bothered to read about their methodology, but i dont know a single person who suffered a failure, much less 27%,so ill assume it flawed

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

Stop buying OCZ SSDs then!

My A-DATA SP900 aswell as my new Samsung 850 EVO haven't failed on me yet.

vertex 4 owner here, running smooth and fast.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

something wrong here

which gen are we talking about here

pre 2012 ?

the reason asus because the most reliable laptops during early 201x was because the use of ssds in their eee Pcs

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

>know return rates on SSD sales

>can confirm article is a hoax

i bet 90% of these users who arent into tech must have defraged their ssd's causing damage

:D :lol:

...compared to what, 90%? of those who have ever owned a hard disk experiencing a failure at some point...

And those were probably old models. New ones are much more reliable and with a drastically longer lifespan.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I have a samsung 830-something in my school laptop and 850 Pro in my main rig. No issues so far.

And I gotta wonder, if SSDs really has that huge failure rate, wouldn't more or less all manufacturers have been out-of-business right now

i bet 90% of these users who arent into tech must have defraged their ssd's causing damage

Can you even defrag an SSD on Windows?

>know return rates on SSD sales

>can confirm article is a hoax

it's only based of UK also

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

it's only based of UK also

Drives sold in the US or Australia don't suddenly fail less than those sold in the UK..

M4, Agility 3, dual Vertex4, dual 850PRO and triple 840 EVO owner here. Last time I had an SSD problem was in 2011, a bricked Vertex2, which was a common bug with those drives.

My hard disks on the other hand, don't even get me started ...

In my experience a friend had a Kingston ssd that failed and he doesn't ever want one again, they are over hyped

I've had an ocz agility for 2 years and a Samsung 840 evo

Hugely disappointed in the long term performance bug in the evolution, unless it's correctly fixed in done with Samsung

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

Drives sold in the US or Australia don't suddenly fail less than those sold in the UK..

bbut... but it was... a study... those are always correct right? ;)

You+do+know+some+places+can+t+get+faster

youre back

see left

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

What i meant was, the results of only one set of country is skewed, UK isn't that big at all 

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

It's not a hoax. It's just not referring to failure rates. It's referring to the percentage of people who have ever experienced a failure - that figure will always be high because all electronics fail eventually. If you survey GPU owners and ask them if they have ever experienced a GPU failure almost everybody will say yes. Same for HDDs. And same here, but the numbers are lower since SSDs have been in the consumer marks only about 5 years.

I am the 73 percent! B)

Stop buying OCZ SSDs then!

My A-DATA SP900 aswell as my new Samsung 850 EVO haven't failed on me yet.

I have an old OCZ Agility 3 running just fine 2½ years down the line. Slow as balls, of course, but it was damn cheap by 2012 standards.

What i meant was, the results of only one set of country is skewed, UK isn't that big at all 

not really, even if your dataset was all located in the UK that doesnt mean its bad, (this one is though) it just means its cheaper to do, and maybe a little more innacurate (same batches and stuff). but generally you can take one country and get a diverse enough batch of people to have a good data set

And now survey people on if they have had a HDD fail.

Personally I have had 3 HHD's fail and 1 SSD.

this literally means nothing.

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

not really, even if your dataset was all located in the UK that doesnt mean its bad, (this one is though) it just means its cheaper to do, and maybe a little more innacurate (same batches and stuff). but generally you can take one country and get a diverse enough batch of people to have a good data set

i wonder how the perception of people would change if i change the title to 73% of the SSD owners don't experience malfunctions of ssds 

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

i wonder how the perception of people would change if i change the title to 73% of the SSD owners don't experience malfunctions of ssds 

No idea, im not an expert in psychology :P i just know most people are stupid

starting from 2012, i now have owned 5 ssds in different sizes and from different brands. not a single one has failed me ever.

Xeon E3-1231-v3 // 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro // Asus Z97AR // XFX RX 480 GTR