Asus PB278Q/BenQ BL2710PT with Gigabyte Z97X UD5H BK

Hey guys,

I am thinking of building a new rig and get a new monitor too.

First of all I want to ask whether HDMI or DVI-D/dualport etc. would be the better connection option for 1440p @ 60Hz IPS (Im thinking of getting the ASUS pb278q or the BENQ bl2710pt).

IF dvi-d/dualport etc. is recommended/better for gaming performance in your opinion for this resolution and refresh rate monitor, then do I have to change my motherboard because on the specs of the GIGABYTE z97x ud5h bk read that, and I quote:

1 x D-Sub port, supporting a maximum resolution of 1920x1200@60Hz
 1 x DVI-D port, supporting a maximum resolution of 1920x1200@60Hz
 * The DVI-D port does not support D-Sub connection by adapter.
 1 x HDMI port, supporting a maximum resolution of 4096x2160@24Hz or 2560x1600@60Hz
 * Support for HDMI 1.4a version.
 Support for up to 3 displays at the same time
 Maximum shared memory of 1 GB

Does this mean that I have to use HDMI because the motherboard supports HDMI up to 1600x2560 @ 60Hz. Going by what the specs say, can I still use dvi-d between this motherboard and the monitor?

So the question is whether HDMI or dvi-d/dualport etc. connection is better for gaming with a monitor with these specs. IF and ONLY IF this is the case, and that I cant do dvi-d with 1440p with this motherboard will I change the motherboard to one that supports dvi-d for 1440p @ 60hz.

Thanks !

-snip-

It sounds as though you plan on connecting either of those monitors to one of your motherboard's display connections. I would suggest just connecting it to your graphics card via DisplayPort as that would be your best option. :)

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

It sounds as though you plan on connecting either of those monitors to one of your motherboard's display connections. I would suggest just connecting it to your graphics card via DisplayPort as that would be your best option. :)

yeah I wasn't initially thinking of getting a gpu but now that I am, I will be connecting the monitor via displayport 1.2 to the gpu !!

Thanks !!

yeah I wasn't initially thinking of getting a gpu but now that I am, I will be connecting the monitor via displayport 1.2 to the gpu !!

Thanks !!

Well great, glad to hear it and you're welcome. :)

Gotta thank @Glenwing for his effort though. Thanks mate! :)

Well great, glad to hear it and you're welcome. :)

Gotta thank @Glenwing for his effort though. Thanks mate! :)

Are you from Australia? I'm from Australia.

Are you from Australia? I'm from Australia.

You betcha! :)

Look at my sig below. :)

You betcha! :)

Look at my sig below. :)

it's past 4am here, idk why im still up.

btw I have another question totally unrelated to this but

I am having a hard time choosing which mouse to buy because Ive read many review and I have seen that different mice perform at different levels depending on which types of games you play. But I play games from counter strike/arma/bf4 /other FPS games to assassins creed/far cry 4 etc. to dota 2/LoL.

I have these mice in mind atm, and I need help in choosing 1, the price difference isn't too significant between all of them and they are all within my budget so it all comes down to performance. For your opinion, I use a claw grip for FPS and between a palm and claw grip for things like dota 2.

SO keeping that in mind in terms of ergonomics, which one of these would be best for my grip but at the same time perform the best for the games I play (tracking, software, build quality, weight etc) ?

zowie fk1

zowie ec1

Logitech g502

Logitech g402

steelseries rival

corsair m45

corsair gaming sabre optical

please be objective and completely honest, thanks !!

it's past 4am here, idk why im still up.

btw I have another question totally unrelated to this but

I am having a hard time choosing which mouse to buy because Ive read many review and I have seen that different mice perform at different levels depending on which types of games you play. But I play games from counter strike/arma/bf4 /other FPS games to assassins creed/far cry 4 etc. to dota 2/LoL.

I have these mice in mind atm, and I need help in choosing 1, the price difference isn't too significant between all of them and they are all within my budget so it all comes down to performance. For your opinion, I use a claw grip for FPS and between a palm and claw grip for things like dota 2.

SO keeping that in mind in terms of ergonomics, which one of these would be best for my grip but at the same time perform the best for the games I play (tracking, software, build quality, weight etc) ?

zowie fk1

zowie ec1

Logitech g502

Logitech g402

steelseries rival

corsair m45

corsair gaming sabre optical

please be objective and completely honest, thanks !!

I'm sorry mate, but this isn't my area of expertise. You may have to start a thread here —> http://linustechtips.com/main/forum/44-peripherals/ <— and ask the whole forum. This is a great forum though, so you should get some pretty good answers. I'm sorry that I can't help you. I wish I could. :)

I'm sorry mate, but this isn't my area of expertise. You may have to start a thread here —> http://linustechtips.com/main/forum/44-peripherals/ <— and ask the whole forum. This is a great forum though, so you should get some pretty good answers. I'm sorry that I can't help you. I wish I could. :)

no worries, thanks buddy. I just did that ! (: