OC unstable on some games.

Go to solution Solved by Queek,

I lowered my core down to 1.24 and added .05 to the offset in adaptive settings and its still doing it.

I had a quick run of prime95 with voltages set to manual and all seemed fine for first 5 mins sitting around 70c then temps went straight to 95-100c so I stopped it.

If whatever you're trying now doesn't work, try 1.20 with +0.15 offset.  Given your instability, it may require more than a small boost of 0.05

Also, avoid prime95 for devil's canyon chips.  It churns out a lot of heat, and doesn't test the stability of your chip very well.  Try aida64

Well i have my 4690k running at 4.5@1.29v and ran it for over 8 hours with aida64. Playing games like fc4,crysis series games like that i get the watchdog_timeout bsod after half hour of gaming.

Temps are all fine, Sitting around 50c when gaming.

Gpu is overclocked too.

All drivers are up to date.

Any help is much appreciated.

CPU: 4690k - 4.5@1.29v  GPU: GTX 780ti - core +100 / Mem+350 Motherboard: Asus Z97-A  SSD: 256Gb 840 Evo HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB  RAM: Corsair Vengance Pro 2x4Gb  Case: White H440  PSU: RM850  Cooling: NZXT Kraken X60

Is it happening without OC aswell ?

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

It runs perfect with cpu at stock clocks. Ill try turning it down to 4.4 see if that helps.

CPU: 4690k - 4.5@1.29v  GPU: GTX 780ti - core +100 / Mem+350 Motherboard: Asus Z97-A  SSD: 256Gb 840 Evo HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB  RAM: Corsair Vengance Pro 2x4Gb  Case: White H440  PSU: RM850  Cooling: NZXT Kraken X60

I overclocked my CPU and ran fine in CPU stress test programs but crashed in games after some time, turned out it wasn't the CPU but the RAM that had an issue. The motherboard couldn't find the SPD for the ram so it defaulted to timings that were severely overclocking my RAM. I'd suggest checking over your RAM timings/voltages/speeds or lowering your overclock until it's stable. Just because someone online may have a better overclock then you on the same CPU doesn't mean you should push yours. Every single CPU is different and you just need to slowly find what is stable.

Nude Fist 1: i5-4590-ASRock h97 Anniversary-16gb Samsung 1333mhz-MSI GTX 970-Corsair 300r-Seagate HDD(s)-EVGA SuperNOVA 750b2

Name comes from anagramed sticker for "TUF Inside" (A sticker that came with my original ASUS motherboard)

I overclocked my CPU and ran fine in CPU stress test programs but crashed in games after some time, turned out it wasn't the CPU but the RAM that had an issue. The motherboard couldn't find the SPD for the ram so it defaulted to timings that were severely overclocking my RAM. I'd suggest checking over your RAM timings/voltages/speeds or lowering your overclock until it's stable. Just because someone online may have a better overclock then you on the same CPU doesn't mean you should push yours. Every single CPU is different and you just need to slowly find what is stable.

Im not fussed what others get i know its all in the lottery. Ill check the timings. I dropped my ram speeds down a notch from 1600 when i started but didnt check the timings.

The games might use instruction sets that the stress test you used didn't test, try Intel's XTU stability test it hits all the instruction sets pretty hard.

The games might use instruction sets that the stress test you used didn't test, try Intel's XTU stability test it hits all the instruction sets pretty hard.

Ok ill run that tomorrow n see how it goes.

Well I ran intel xtu over night for 10 hours and all good on that side. Ran timings are all as they are meant to be.

Well i have my 4690k running at 4.5@1.29v and ran it for over 8 hours with aida64. Playing games like fc4,crysis series games like that i get the watchdog_timeout bsod after half hour of gaming.

Temps are all fine, Sitting around 50c when gaming.

Gpu is overclocked too.

All drivers are up to date.

Any help is much appreciated.

When you're experiencing instability, do you have it on manual or adaptive overclock?  If it's adaptive, this thread might help you http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/294119-troubleshooting-instability-at-idle-while-overclocking-with-adaptive-voltage/(you may be unstable at lower clock speeds)

Isopropyl alcohol is all you need for cleaning CPU's and motherboard components.  No, you don't need [insert cleaning solution here].  -Source: PhD Student, Chemistry

Why overclockers should understand Load-Line Calibration.

ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition || i7 3930k @ 4.5 GHz || 32 GB Corsair Vengeance CL8 || ASUS GTX 780 DCuII || ASUS Xonar Essence STX || XFX PRO 1000W

When you're experiencing instability, do you have it on manual or adaptive overclock?  If it's adaptive, this thread might help you http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/294119-troubleshooting-instability-at-idle-while-overclocking-with-adaptive-voltage/(you may be unstable at lower clock speeds)

I shall try this and let you know what happens.

nvrmind..too tired.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

I lowered my core down to 1.24 and added .05 to the offset in adaptive settings and its still doing it.

I had a quick run of prime95 with voltages set to manual and all seemed fine for first 5 mins sitting around 70c then temps went straight to 95-100c so I stopped it.

Stable 99% of the time = not stable.

Back off the clocks.

CPU: AMD Athlon 5350 (2.66 Ghz OC) Motherboard: Asus AM1m-a Memory: Mushkin Radioactive 8GB DDR3-1600 GPU: MSI R7 260 1GD5 OC Storage: Toshiba Hybrid 500GB Case: Cougar Spike PSU: Rosewill Arc 450 OS: Deepin Linux 2014

Stable 99% of the time = not stable.

Back off the clocks.

Ill try that and see how it runs.

If whatever you're trying now doesn't work, try 1.20 with +0.15 offset.  Given your instability, it may require more than a small boost of 0.05

Also, avoid prime95 for devil's canyon chips.  It churns out a lot of heat, and doesn't test the stability of your chip very well.  Try aida64

Isopropyl alcohol is all you need for cleaning CPU's and motherboard components.  No, you don't need [insert cleaning solution here].  -Source: PhD Student, Chemistry

ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition || i7 3930k @ 4.5 GHz || 32 GB Corsair Vengeance CL8 || ASUS GTX 780 DCuII || ASUS Xonar Essence STX || XFX PRO 1000W

If whatever you're trying now doesn't work, try 1.20 with +0.15 offset. Given your instability, it may require more than a small boost of 0.05

Also, avoid prime95 for devil's canyon chips. It churns out a lot of heat, and doesn't test the stability of your chip very well. Try aida64

Ok ill try that. I dropped it back to 44 and seems to be ok so far but ill try what you say when i get home

Ok ill try that. I dropped it back to 44 and seems to be ok so far but ill try what you say when i get home

Well i tried what you said and went offset .2 and turbo 1.05 as i found a screen shot of 8 hours of aida64 with 4.5@1.25v so i tried those setting with above voltages to see if it worked.

I ran fc4 and was able to get a good 1.5 hours gameplay and also a good hour of crysis 3 without any crashes, previously around 15 mins each.

So i think this has worked.

If whatever you're trying now doesn't work, try 1.20 with +0.15 offset. Given your instability, it may require more than a small boost of 0.05

Also, avoid prime95 for devil's canyon chips. It churns out a lot of heat, and doesn't test the stability of your chip very well. Try aida64

Quoted my post instead of yours lol.

Well i tried what you said and went offset .2 and turbo 1.05 as i found a screen shot of 8 hours of aida64 with [email protected]<script cf-hash='f9e31' type="text/javascript"> /* */</script> so i tried those setting with above voltages to see if it worked.

I ran fc4 and was able to get a good 1.5 hours gameplay and also a good hour of crysis 3 without any crashes, previously around 15 mins each.

So i think this has worked.

I'm glad to hear it.   :)

Be sure to mark it as solved so that the next person with your problem knows what to do.  

I'm glad to hear it. :)

Be sure to mark it as solved so that the next person with your problem knows what to do.

Will do thanks for your help.