EMI or Ground Loop?

EarthboundHero

Hey guys. So, I built my new system and it's performing great. The only things I changed were my CPU, mobo, cooler and a fan. I had the same problem with my last system, but it was solved by putting tape in between the PSU screws and the case. I've tried that and it didn't work. Anyway the issue is that when I do something GPU intensive I hear noises even if my audio is on mute. Sometimes it's a high pitched buzzing, other times it's a flapping sound (Can't describe it.) I've tried taking the PSU out of the case altogether and that didn't work. I do have another PSU I can test with but that is a lot of work and it's getting pretty late. Is there a way I can figure out if it's EMI from my GPU or a ground loop? This issue is awful and I can't enjoy any game because of it. I'll try the other PSU in the morning, but any suggestions until then?

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

Hey guys. So, I built my new system and it's performing great. The only things I changed were my CPU, mobo, cooler and a fan. I had the same problem with my last system, but it was solved by putting tape in between the PSU screws and the case. I've tried that and it didn't work. Anyway the issue is that when I do something GPU intensive I hear noises even if my audio is on mute. Sometimes it's a high pitched buzzing, other times it's a flapping sound (Can't describe it.) I've tried taking the PSU out of the case altogether and that didn't work. I do have another PSU I can test with but that is a lot of work and it's getting pretty late. Is there a way I can figure out if it's EMI from my GPU or a ground loop? This issue is awful and I can't enjoy any game because of it. I'll try the other PSU in the morning, but any suggestions until then?

that sounds just like EMI.... trust me I have had nothing but audio issues, until I removed the internal sound out of the equation... boom! solved... although, I spent way to much money on this and my low sound was fixed... I downgraded to a soundblaster Zx with emi shielding and going to back and pick up my ATH M50s I took back last week :( but atleast ill have great sound again! :D the force willing the card has no defects and its good shielding and the Clearsound mic and ACM works.

but if you can try to port your audio with something away from what your using should detect the issue or help you troubleshoot

Are you using onboard audio?

Yes, the Gaming 5 mobo is supposed to have good EMI shielding.
Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

What PSU are you using? It might be the switching supply of your GPU drawing too much voltage for the PSU and thus imposing switching noise onto the 5V rail. 

Esp. if you are using a "hungry" load that takes a lot of ooph to drive.

What PSU are you using? It might be the switching supply of your GPU drawing too much voltage for the PSU and thus imposing switching noise onto the 5V rail.

Esp. if you are using a "hungry" load that takes a lot of ooph to drive.

I'm using a Rosewill Capstone 750W,with an R9 280.
Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Sounds definetly Like EMI, does It happen with both outputs? Front and back?

My old case used to have a lot of noise on the Front headphone Jack, It went away after I switched cases, I'm guessing because the New case have a better shielding on the cables for the Front IO panel.

Mystery is the source of all true science.

Another possibility is that your caps in your audio vreg section are bad, again causing any noise to be able to filter trought. do any of the electrolytics on your motherboard seem to bulge? And how old is the PSU?

My old case used to have a lot of noise on the Front headphone Jack, It went away after I switched cases, I'm guessing because the New case have a better shielding on the cables for the Front IO panel.

EMI gennerally influences the signal before it hits the amplifier, when it is a weaker signal. You need a massive amount of EM noise to notice it on a headphone I think.

So the noise is coming from the GPU or from the speakers/headphones? If its the GPU than this sounds like a simple case of coil whine. My GPU does the same thing though its not so bad that it prevents me from playing games. My old X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion that was in the slot above my GPU would pick up that coil whine and send that single to my speakers and headphones but my current X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional does not.

PC Audio Setup = Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro 80 ohm and Sennheiser pc37x (also for xbox) hooked up to Schiit Fulla 3

It's both. The front jacks have it less though.

So the noise is coming from the GPU or from the speakers/headphones?

I only hear it through my headphones. Oddly though when closing Heaven Benchmark I do hear a whining noise even without my headphones on.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

While running the benchmark put your ear next to your GPU. 

PC Audio Setup = Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro 80 ohm and Sennheiser pc37x (also for xbox) hooked up to Schiit Fulla 3

While running the benchmark put your ear next to your GPU. 

Can't hear anything, at least not over the fans, I stopped the ones on the GPU, but there are 4 more in my case.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

I guess the next thing is to try a usb soundcard. I hate throwing money at problems but you had this problem with the other setup too and using the usb soundcard will help trouble shoot the problem. Dont know how close you are to the Fred Meyer up there but if its not to far of a drive you should go pick up a usb soundcard from them (if they have one, call first) and test it out and then return it. They have good return policy :). Or just pick up a cheap one off amazon 

I guess the next thing is to try a usb soundcard. I hate throwing money at problems but you had this problem with the other setup too and using the usb soundcard will help trouble shoot the problem. Dont know how close you are to the Fred Meyer up there but if its not to far of a drive you should go pick up a usb soundcard from them (if they have one, call first) and test it out and then return it. They have good return policy :). Or just pick up a cheap one off amazon 

I'll check if it's PSU later (I have things to do.) then if not, I'll check for a sound card. Thank you.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

EMI gennerally influences the signal before it hits the amplifier, when it is a weaker signal. You need a massive amount of EM noise to notice it on a headphone I think.

Nope, only needed the amount of power that the signal of data passing through the USB port carries to inject noise in my headphones.

Mystery is the source of all true science.

Nope, only needed the amount of power that the signal of data passing through the USB port carries to inject noise in my headphones.

It was the PSU. Swapped it for a 550W and no noise. Thanks for the help guys.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Are you using front panel connectors? In that case its more than likely EMI, using electrical tape to stop ground loops by ungrounding your case is a very bad idea.

"Peek-a-boo, you ****s, you!"