Recommended SSD?

Septerius
Go to solution Solved by SeanBond,

Yet, you have two of 'em in your build. As said in your bio.

Anyways, what about the 840 PRO? It wasn't effected by the slowing and has shining reviews up and down reviewers' boards.

EDIT: Nothing important

I got mine in sales, paid $99 for each 250gb versions. But you won't normally find them that cheap, for every day value mx100 and bx100 are pretty much king. I would tell you to get an 850evo if you can find it on sale or around the same price as those drives. The pro versions of the drives really aren't any faster, they just get more reliability for a massive price premium. Any good ssd will outlast it's usefulness if you don't mistreat it.

Hello, all! I just need a little help choosing an SSD! It will function as nothin' more than boot drive and to maybe hold a few important files/programs.

So ~120GB would be perfect for me. I can go higher, if the cost is justifiable.

Two SSD's I've looked at are the Samsung 840EVO and the Intel 730. I've heard great things about them and can't really choose which one to grab.

As it is going to be a boot drive reliability is crucial. Even more so than speed.

So, any suggestions for a different boot drive or one of these two?

Hello, all! I just need a little help choosing an SSD! It will function as nothin' more than boot drive and to maybe hold a few important files/programs.

So ~120GB would be perfect for me. I can go higher, if the cost is justifiable.

Two SSD's I've looked at are the Samsung 840EVO and the Intel 730. I've heard great things about them and can't really choose which one to grab.

As it is going to be a boot drive reliability is crucial. Even more so than speed.

So, any suggestions for a different boot drive or one of these two?

Search on google news "Samsung 840 Evo"

If you are refering to the speed slowing issue they fixed that a long time ago now. It's still faster than pretty much anything on the market except for a couple of ssd's. That being said I think the the mx100 or bx100 still have the best value in my eyes given the price.

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

Ehh, alrighty then. So, that's out.

EDIT: Hmm, even if they DID fix it. I feel as if it's untrusworthy that such a drop in preformance wasn't singled out in development.

If you are refering to the speed slowing issue they fixed that a long time ago now. It's still faster than pretty much anything on the market except for a couple of ssd's. That being said I think the the mx100 or bx100 still have the best value in my eyes given the price.

Anyways, what about the 840 PRO? It wasn't effected by the slowing and has shining reviews up and down reviewers' boards.

Crucial MX100 or BX100

Another vote for this. Most SSDs on SATA 3 offer same to minimal difference in performance, so build quality and price should be your main points when purchasing.

Another vote for this. Most SSDs on SATA 3 offer same to minimal difference in performance, so build quality and price should be your main points when purchasing.

I took a quick look at them and they look promising. Nobody has recommended the MX200 or the 500 though. What's the difference between them all?

EDIT: Nothing important.

I got mine in sales, paid $99 for each 250gb versions. But you won't normally find them that cheap, for every day value mx100 and bx100 are pretty much king. I would tell you to get an 850evo if you can find it on sale or around the same price as those drives. The pro versions of the drives really aren't any faster, they just get more reliability for a massive price premium. Any good ssd will outlast it's usefulness if you don't mistreat it.

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q