just built pc, turned on for 5 mins then shut down, won't turn back on

cowan
Go to solution Solved by pspfreak,

If you feel comfortable, give this a shot and see if its your power supply.

Unplug all your molex/sata/cpu power/24pin/pcie connectors.

Take a paper clip and short the green and black wire on the 24 pin connector. Don't worry, its only a signal wire that only at most has 5v on it at a few microamps. You won't get a shock from it. 

If your power supply has the same effect, then you can tell what the problem is. 

Also have you tried narrowing down the problem, such as removing everything that is unnecessary for post to occur? See if your computer will boot with just your cpu power, 24 pin, and pcie plugged in.

Have you tried booting the system without your graphics card in it, and just using the onboard?

Seasonic has a nice tutorial on jumpstarting your power supply. http://www.seasonic.ru/tech-support/jump-start/

If the power supply seems to start fine, and you've tried all that i've listed, I would say the next step would be to RMA your board and possibly your CPU.  If it doesn't attempt power on when the cpu power is connected then something is definitely shorted.

Cute cat BTW

Ok, so I just built my pc and turned it on, went into the bios to check temperatures and everything was fine, I then went and did a few things for about 5 mins so I could leave it idling, when I came back I went to sit down and my pc turned off. I have tried lots of different things like a different psu, no ram, one ram, one (other) ram, resetting bios.  also i can hear the PSU turn off when i hold the power button down, after turning it on of course. I'm thinking its either the motherboard or ram because I'm using random ddr3 ram from an old pc, although I'm not sure because it did turn on for a bit before. this is my first post so sorry if theres not enough info. my parts are listed here http://nz.pcpartpicker.com/p/MXVwFT without the ram and graphics card.

Try all your components in a different build and test that the work.

Also attempt to see if the mobo can complain about no RAM by testing with purely CPU and a single display on integrated (including PSU and cooler)

For the Best builds and Price lists here is a world where many points of the price have been predefined already for your convenience!

The Xeon E3 1231 V3 IS BETTER Than the Core i5 4690K and a Significantly better value for the non-overclockers or value shoppers.

The OS is like a kind food, Try it before saying if you like it or don't.

ok without the cpu power cord plugged in, I only have the MB plugged in the  the PSU and CPU fans turn on for 2-3 seconds then off, then on again then off etc so would that mean the motherboard and cpu are all fine? 

ok without the cpu power cord plugged in, I only have the MB plugged in the  the PSU and CPU fans turn on for 2-3 seconds then off, then on again then off etc so would that mean the motherboard and cpu are all fine? 

Ok, this may sound crazy, but try pulling your cmos battery and power for about a minute to 2 mins and try again.

Ok, this may sound crazy, but try pulling your cmos battery and power for about a minute to 2 mins and try again.

ok i pulled the battery out earlier but might not have been that long and can't remember if i unplugged everything so i will try again

ok i pulled the battery out earlier but might not have been that long and can't remember if i unplugged everything so i will try again

Yeah there are caps on the motherboard that hold power for a small amount of time. 

Try making sure all your cords are plugged in firmly. I had this problem once where I had finished building my pc, was using it for about 2 weeks then one day while I was playing everything just shut off. I turned it on again, got to the desktop then it shut off again. After that, It didnt even get to the bios screen, it just turned on for 2-3 seconds and everything would shut off.

I brought it to the shop where I bought all my parts from. After some troubleshooting they realised the GPU 6pin/8pin connector wasnt in firmly. You (apparently) need to make sure the wire clicks into the GPU. (Apparently because I wasnt there when they "repaired" it.)

Quote me if you want me to see your message. Like my post if it helped. Click "Show More" to see things that I use.

Desktop (2014): CPU: Intel Core i5 4690k @ 3.50GHz | GPU: MSi GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Motherboard: MSi Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x4GB G.Skill RipJaws X 1600MHz + 2x4GB HyperX Black 1600MHz | SSD: Samsung 750 Evo 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB | Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212x | PSU: Corsair VS650 | Case: Cooler Master Elite 431 Plus | OS: Windows 10 Home

Laptop (2017): Model: Asus UX310U

Peripherals: Monitor: Samsung S24D300 OC@75Hz + Viewsonic XG2401 (144Hz) | Mouse: Logitech G305 | Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2 | Headset: HyperX Cloud Core | Speakers: Logitech Z333 | Additional: Logitech G29

Mobiles: Samsung Pixon (2010-2012) | Samsung Galaxy Ace (2012-2013) | Samsung Galaxy S3 (2013-2016) | Samsung Note 4 (2015)(Lost) | Samsung Galaxy S7 (2016-2019) | Samsung Galaxy S10 (2019 - Current) | Additional: ASUS Zenwatch 2 (2016)

Yeah there are caps on the motherboard that hold power for a small amount of time. 

same as before, tries to start up unless the cpu power cord is plugged in

Try making sure all your cords are plugged in firmly. I had this problem once where I had finished building my pc, was using it for about 2 weeks then one day while I was playing everything just shut off. I turned it on again, got to the desktop then it shut off again. After that, It didnt even get to the bios screen, it just turned on for 2-3 seconds and everything would shut off.

I brought it to the shop where I bought all my parts from. After some troubleshooting they realised the GPU 6pin/8pin connector wasnt in firmly. You (apparently) need to make sure the wire clicks into the GPU. (Apparently because I wasnt there when they "repaired" it.)

tried plugging in firmly, nothing changed :(

Take a paper clip and short the green and black wire on the 24 pin connector. Don't worry, its only a signal wire that only at most has 5v on it at a few microamps. You won't get a shock from it. 

If your power supply has the same effect, then you can tell what the problem is. 

Also have you tried narrowing down the problem, such as removing everything that is unnecessary for post to occur? See if your computer will boot with just your cpu power, 24 pin, and pcie plugged in.

Have you tried booting the system without your graphics card in it, and just using the onboard?

Seasonic has a nice tutorial on jumpstarting your power supply. http://www.seasonic.ru/tech-support/jump-start/

If the power supply seems to start fine, and you've tried all that i've listed, I would say the next step would be to RMA your board and possibly your CPU.  If it doesn't attempt power on when the cpu power is connected then something is definitely shorted.

Cute cat BTW

Cute cat BTW

thanks :) i have a proper clip to test the psu and it works so its definitely the motherboard :/ i just hope my cpu is still ok. is it something i did? so i can avoid doing it again next time. not expecting you to know just want your thoughts cause it did turn on for a bit

thanks :) i have a proper clip to test the psu and it works so its definitely the motherboard :/ i just hope my cpu is still ok. is it something i did? so i can avoid doing it again next time. not expecting you to know just want your thoughts cause it did turn on for a bit

Here is my advice when building a computer. Don't act like an idiot and touch the components themselves. Touch it by the edges. I'm guessing you already know this, but I haven't ever killed a component from static shock in my experience. 

Hopefully your CPU is fine, If the VRM failed on the mobo and send unregulated voltage/current to it, that could be pretty bad. 

Do you have a modular power supply? Make sure you're ONLY using the included cables for the modular supply. Depending on how bad things are it could damage things or just fail to boot.

HydrOS (Waterworks 3.0) Pictures: // One // Two // Three

i7 5820k @ 4.3GHz (1.165v) // Asus X99-A // 16GB-DDR4 Vengeance 2400 CAS13 // RAID 0 Intel 730 240GB // Nvidia Titan X (+200Core +500Memory) // Swiftech D5 // ASUS ROG SWIFT

Ok, so I just built my pc and turned it on, went into the bios to check temperatures and everything was fine, I then went and did a few things for about 5 mins so I could leave it idling, when I came back I went to sit down and my pc turned off. I have tried lots of different things like a different psu, no ram, one ram, one (other) ram, resetting bios.  also i can hear the PSU turn off when i hold the power button down, after turning it on of course. I'm thinking its either the motherboard or ram because I'm using random ddr3 ram from an old pc, although I'm not sure because it did turn on for a bit before. this is my first post so sorry if theres not enough info. my parts are listed here http://nz.pcpartpicker.com/p/MXVwFT without the ram and graphics card.

Man at first check if you motherboard is correctly in place and they're enough spacers between your case and your mobo for clear any short-circuit.

If it apparently ok then check the 24pin Power on your motherboard is correctly push and in place (don't hesitate to push it) or try to push it more then to turned on.

Just use the Integrate graphic if you can the VGA port, your RAM in the first config did when it work and you CPU in place of course.

Leave your case open for doing that and tell me if it's solve your prob. ;)

"Innovation is the only way to progress"

"To every action there is always an opposed equal reaction"

"There is only one road, always straight"

Ok, so I just built my pc and turned it on, went into the bios to check temperatures and everything was fine, I then went and did a few things for about 5 mins so I could leave it idling, when I came back I went to sit down and my pc turned off. I have tried lots of different things like a different psu, no ram, one ram, one (other) ram, resetting bios.  also i can hear the PSU turn off when i hold the power button down, after turning it on of course. I'm thinking its either the motherboard or ram because I'm using random ddr3 ram from an old pc, although I'm not sure because it did turn on for a bit before. this is my first post so sorry if theres not enough info. my parts are listed here http://nz.pcpartpicker.com/p/MXVwFT without the ram and graphics card

IF you can maybe take a few pics of inside and the back of your case and link them where we can see the connectors and everything. might help us get a better view of whats going on. and you mat have to remove the mobo and just is if it posts the bios before connecting everything. @cowan

thanks everyone for all your help. I'm going to return the motherboard and get an asus :)