Leonard Nimoy, Spock of ‘Star Trek,’ Dies at 83

Crion

This morning actor Leonard Nimoy was found dead in his home.  Mr. Nimoy was best known for his role as Spock on Star Trek: TOS.  We offer our sincere condolences to the Nimoy family for their loss.  I can only share the words of Cpt. James T. Kirk:

"We are assembled here today to pay final respects to our honored dead. And yet it should be noted that in the midst of our sorrow, this death takes place in the shadow of a new life, the sunrise of a new world, a world that our beloved comrade gave his life to protect and nourish. He did not feel this sacrifice a vain or empty one. And we will not debate his profound wisdom at these proceedings. Of my friend, I can only say this: of all the souls I have encountered in my travels... his was the most... Human."

What are your memories of Star Trek?

Current Rig
AMD Ryzen 5900X - Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming WiFi 2 - 32 GB GSkill TridentZ RGB
GeForce RTX 3080 - WD Black SN850 1TB  - Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL

If someone mentions the new movies....

I really like Star Trek: The Next Generation

I like all the movies too.

RIP

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

I liked TOS the most. I know its corny and just terrible at times, but the interaction between Spock and Kirk was what made it so special to me.

When in doubt, re-format.

And already the world seems a little less bright...

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

If someone mentions the new movies

The new movies are trash. They don't exist.

Abrams is ruining what has been my favorite thing for 30 of my 35 years. I personally resent him for it.

Had one one seen/heard Nimoy sing "The Balad of Bilbo Baggins" or know that he was a photographer?

Abrams is ruining what has been my favorite thing for 30 of my 35 years. 

I agree

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

I fail to understand why everyone seems to hate the new movies, I like them. At least compared with the trash that was the original cast movies, excluding Wrath of Khan of course. They aren't ground breaking, but they aren't completely terrible, and they've made room for a lot of new ground to be covered. As long as the next movie isn't going back in time to save the f**king whales.

That and freaking DS9, which to me doesn't qualify as Star Trek because it's named after and centered around a space station and not a single ship.

I fail to understand why everyone seems to hate the new movies, I like them. At least compared with the trash that was the original cast movies, excluding Wrath of Khan of course. They aren't ground breaking, but they aren't completely terrible, and they've made room for a lot of new ground to be covered. As long as the next movie isn't going back in time to save the f**king whales.

That and freaking DS9, which to me doesn't qualify as Star Trek because it's named after and centered around a space station and not a single ship.

Exactly. I abhor the neckbeards who act like old Star Trek was high art or something that couldn't be critiqued. They were CRAP for the most part. New Star Trek should be getting blown from all Star Trek fans for ensuring that Star Trek won't ever die out. 

Exactly. I abhor the neckbeards who act like old Star Trek was high art or something that couldn't be critiqued. They were CRAP for the most part. New Star Trek should be getting blown from all Star Trek fans for ensuring that Star Trek won't ever die out. 

I wouldn't go that far. Sure TOS had it's moments that were just corny, and TNG was more politically correct than a PETA convention, but they still had their awesome moments.

Except DS9, my argument against it is single fold:

Re-occurring Ferengi cast member.

Hence, DS9 is complete and utter shit. Having a reoccurring Ferengi cast member in a series is like having Jar Jar Binks in the next three star wars movies, would be an instant "It fucking sucks". The Ferengi are the Gungans of the Star Trek Universe.

Addendum: Am I still the only one who liked Voyager?

post-621-0-40090100-1425068314.jpg

post-621-0-52830800-1425068541.jpg

"Leonard Nimoy, the sonorous, gaunt-faced actor who won a worshipful global following as Mr. Spock, the resolutely logical human-alien first officer of the Starship Enterprise in the television and movie juggernaut “Star Trek,” died on Friday morning at his home in the Bel Air section of Los Angeles. He was 83.

His wife, Susan Bay Nimoy, confirmed his death, saying the cause was end-stage chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Mr. Nimoy announced that he had the disease last year, attributing it to years of smoking, a habit he had given up three decades earlier. He had been hospitalized earlier in the week."

"Last year, Nimoy disclosed on Twitter that he had been diagnosed with the progressive lung disease.

"I quit smoking 30 years ago. Not soon enough," he tweeted to his 810,000 followers. "Grandpa says, quit now!!"

Source:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/02/27/us-people-leonardnimoy-idUSKBN0LV23H20150227

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/02/27/arts/television/leonard-nimoy-spock-of-star-trek-dies-at-83.html?_r=1

There's a time and place for everything! But not now. - Professor Oak

i7 2600K 4.3GHz  -  GTX 1060 3GB  - ASUS P8Z68-V - 16GB DDR3-1600 CL9 - EIZO 1080p 120Hz VA

Intel Skulltrail: 2x Core 2 Quad QX9775 - Intel D5400XS - 16GB FB DDR2-800 CL5 Quad Channel

EVGA SR-2 Classified - 2x Xeon X5675 4.2GHz - 24GB DDR3-1830 C10 Triple Channel

Intel Skulltrail #2: 2x Xeon E5472  - Intel D5400XS - 16GB FB DDR2-667 CL5 Quad Channel

A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.  LLAP - Leonard Nimoy's last tweet.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Very tragic news. Nimoy was an excellent actor, and an even better human being.

@Overl0rd, this is a repost from off topic. I've reported it to the mods, but requested they merge the threads and move to News.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/318527-live-long-and-prosper-leonard-nimoy-dies-at-83/

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

We are all gonna die.

RIP

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Addendum: Am I still the only one who liked Voyager?

Voyager was pretty good, i mean Janeway AND 7o9...

When in doubt, re-format.

"Of all the souls I have encountered in my travels, his was the most....human."

live_long_and_prosper_car_sticker__55182

For some reason, this song seems fitting. Just came on on soundcloud

https://soundcloud.com/jakechudnow/tom-rosenthal-ian-jake-chudnow-extended-electronic-outro

Abrams is ruining what has been my favorite thing for 30 of my 35 years. I personally resent him for it.

Had one one seen/heard Nimoy sing "The Balad of Bilbo Baggins" or know that he was a photographer?

No offence, but I strongly disagree with you.

The new Star Trek movies saved the Franchise. Star Trek TOS was campy and fun, and quite revolutionary in some of the ideas it had, but frankly, it was crap a lot of the time. TOS is my least favourite Star Trek series. I even like Enterprise and Voyager more then I like TOS. Not to mention Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

Star Trek started to be "good" again when Star Trek II came out, and for the most part, the rest of the TOS movies were also quite good (#5 was passable, but still fun).

TNG was arguably the best series. The movies were a mixed bag though. Generations was in some ways excellent. First Contact was probably one of the best Star Trek movies yet. Insurrection and Nemesis were both just a bunch of mixed bag, both with very huge missed opportunities.

DS9 started out pretty bad, quite slow, and "episode/adventure of the week", but the creators started to notice a trend change. People didn't want "episode of the week" anymore. They wanted vast epic stories that arched over multiple seasons. Once Season 4 hit, DS9 because my favourite Star Trek series to date. Season's 6 and 7 were absolutely brilliant.

Voyager was a mixed bag. When I was young, and it was new, I loved it. But re-watching it is tough. Some was fantastic, some was utter garbage.

Enterprise was solid through and through, with the odd continuity error here and there (Which is frankly understandable, given the disaster mix they had to work with, timeline wise). Season's 3 and 4 were absolutely fantastic, and it was shaping up to be potentially the best series of them all, before it got cancelled. We'll never know how good it could have gotten. Enterprise essentially got the "Babylon 5" treatment.

The new Abrams Star Trek took a dying franchise, and gave it life. It reimagined it in a way that the modern audience could resonate with. Gave it an edgy "gritty" feel to it. Some people don't like that. And that's fine. But don't you dare claim that they are bad "on behalf" of Trek fans.

True this.

Nimoy was probably the single best part of TOS. He was fantastic, especially in the movies. I also loved Sulu, especially in ST #6, when he made Captain.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

-whole big bag of snip

I hated DS9

Loved Voyager

Loved Enterprise, still extremely f**king butthurt they killed off my favorite character who happened to share my first and last name, in the last episode, having broken up with T'pol.

This+brought+a+tear+to+my+eye+so+many+fe

An inspiration to my person and to my writing dropped away :'(

Peace and long life.

"Hope, what a concept." - Deunan Knute

He will be missed. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

@dalekphalm

I respect your opinion, and our opinions differ.  (We're not arguing, we're discussing.)  Perhaps the reason is because of our age differences; perhaps it's because of how long I've been a fan and watching Star Trek and my familiarity with it.   Probably will never know. 

Gene Roddenberry died about a third of the way through TNG and had everything to do with its set, setting, tone, atmosphere... everything.  And he worked with talented people (on-screen and off) that continued to be involved in the expanding Star Trek universe furthering the original theme of human endeavor and achievement.  Some of those same people were involved in every Star Trek TV series thereafter ensuring that theme didn't change.   

Sure, there are one-off's with episodes that weren't good and weird/dumb characters in each series, but they never ruined the experience of it because of the general continuity of the fictional universe thanks to the creators/producers/writers. 

The "new" Star Trek is not really Star Trek as Gene Roddenberry's vision.  It's very far off.  The new Star Trek is another series of science fiction movies with character names adopted from another man's creation.  JJ Abrams took the names and outer space setting to create some other universe where the characters didn't even behave the same.  It's a "reboot," sure, I get that.  But the reboot is superficial.  

Here's an example: Shatner's and Nimoy's Kick and Spock had a bond.  Their relationship was profound and it exemplified a partnership of two minds working together that could accomplish anything.   This was established through three seasons of adventures and trouble that the crew faced over and over in the original series, and then it stayed there through the next six movies.  When we watch Kirk fall apart at the end of The Wrath of Khan, viewers could understand it due to their history and the emotion made sense because it carried a lot of weight.  And then in The Search for Spock -- Kirk risked everything to save his friend.  He risked his ship, the lives of his willing crew, his career and even his own life to help Spock.  The entire movie was centered around this and Kirk didn't let anything stand in his way.   When Abrams adopted this idea into his "Khan" movie, none of that passion was there.  In fact, it was completely inverted with Kirk being the one that died, and it didn't even really matter because he was alive again within 15 minute of movie play-time.  The emotion that Spock felt with Kirk's death wasn't "earned."  It was empty and there simply for the sake of entertainment and making something new.  It doesn't hold true to what Gene Roddenberry wanted Star Trek to be.  

This is my opinion and view.  Ever since I was young, the universe that Roddenberry created resonated with me (and many other fans).  It is a collection of great stories and great character development. (Opinions may vary, I get that, too.) The interaction and chemistry between the character and actors is solid.   And the state of humanity in the Federation is something that today's Earth should try to achieve.  Unity and strength.  Some one above wondered why some hardcore fans are disgusted by these new movies, and I answered why.  

Then there's the other side of the same coin... the fact that the Abrams films just really aren't that good.  Plot holes, wtf-moments, bland characters, pointless scenes, barely-dressed women for no reason (other than to just look hot) and bizarre lighting.   Oh and lens flares.  C'mon, Abrams, you really gotta stop it with the lens flares.   They're really just "decent sci-fi movies."  They might be fun because they're have a lot of action and things that look high-tech and shiny... and then those explode... I like explosions, too. But I think most people, if they think subjectively about it for a while during another viewing, would realize that they're really not all that great. 

We can agree to disagree. I don't expect you to share my opinion, but I think I might have explained it well enough for you to understand and maybe even respect it. 

An inspiration to my person and to my writing dropped away :'(

Peace and long life.

No kidding?  What have you been writing?  

@dalekphalm

I respect your opinion, and our opinions differ.  (We're not arguing, we're discussing.)  Perhaps the reason is because of our age differences; perhaps it's because of how long I've been a fan and watching Star Trek and my familiarity with it.   Probably will never know. 

Gene Roddenberry died about a third of the way through TNG and had everything to do with its set, setting, tone, atmosphere... everything.  And he worked with talented people (on-screen and off) that continued to be involved in the expanding Star Trek universe furthering the original theme of human endeavor and achievement.  Some of those same people were involved in every Star Trek TV series thereafter ensuring that theme didn't change.   

Sure, there are one-off's with episodes that weren't good and weird/dumb characters in each series, but they never ruined the experience of it because of the general continuity of the fictional universe thanks to the creators/producers/writers. 

The "new" Star Trek is not really Star Trek as Gene Roddenberry's vision.  It's very far off.  The new Star Trek is another series of science fiction movies with character names adopted from another man's creation.  JJ Abrams took the names and outer space setting to create some other universe where the characters didn't even behave the same.  It's a "reboot," sure, I get that.  But the reboot is superficial.  

Here's an example: Shatner's and Nimoy's Kick and Spock had a bond.  Their relationship was profound and it exemplified a partnership of two minds working together that could accomplish anything.   This was established through three seasons of adventures and trouble that the crew faced over and over in the original series, and then it stayed there through the next six movies.  When we watch Kirk fall apart at the end of The Wrath of Khan, viewers could understand it due to their history and the emotion sense because it carried a lot of weight.  And then in The Search for Spock -- Kirk risked everything to save his friend.  He risked his ship, the lives of his willing crew, his career and even his own life to help Spock.  The entire movie was centered around this and Kirk didn't let anything stand in his way.   When Abrams adopted this idea into his "Khan" movie, none of that passion was there.  In fact, it was completely inverted with Kirk being the one that died, and it didn't even really matter because he was alive again within 15 minute of movie play-time.  The emotion that Spock felt with Kirk's death wasn't "earned."  It was empty and there simply for the sake of entertainment and making something new.  It doesn't hold true to what Gene Roddenberry wanted Star Trek to be.  

This is my opinion and view.  Ever since I was young, the universe that Roddenberry created resonated with me (and many other fans).  It is a collection of great stories and great character development. (Opinions may vary, I get that, too.) The interaction and chemistry between the character and actors is solid.   And the state of humanity in the Federation is something that today's Earth should try to achieve.  Unity and strength.  Some one above wondered why some hardcore fans are disgusted by these new movies, and I answered why.  

Then there's the other side of the same coin... the fact that the Abrams films just really aren't that good.  Plot holes, wtf-moments, bland characters, pointless scenes, barely-dressed women for no reason (other than to just look hot) and bizarre lighting.   Oh and lens flares.  C'mon, Abrams, you really gotta stop it with the lens flares.   They're really just "decent sci-fi movies."  They might be fun because they're have a lot of action and things that look high-tech and shiny... and then those explode... I like explosions, too. But I think most people, if they think subjectively about it for a while during another viewing, would realize that they're really not all that great. 

We can agree to disagree. I don't expect you to share my opinion, but I think I might have explained it well enough for you to understand and maybe even respect it. 

couldn't agree more. Abrams trek wars movies were nice sci fi but not Star Trek. and if you excuse me now i will go back to crying