Cloning OS HDD

theonlyBuster

So a little while ago, some of the needed hardware on my laptop suddenly stopped working.  To continue working, I pulled the hard drive out and installed it into my desktop.  After I updated/installed the drivers everything was running just fine.

I've since decided to keep everything on my desktop, so I purchased a 1TB HDD with the plan on cloning the laptop HDD (320GB) to the 1TB desktop hard drive.

It's been a while since I've cloned so i looked into a few tutorials before attempting.  We long story short it doesn't appear to be cloning correctly.  For starters, after what i thought was a successful cloning, i later found out during a boot that the boot parameters on the 1TB HDD could not be found.  I loaded the laptop HDD and loaded the 1TB as a secondary drive and it looks like all the partitions and sizes match but because (I assume) it's a clone, Windows wouldn't let me browse the drive.

I've tried a few different cloning softwares and all have given me negative results.  Clonezilla was able to clone, but no boot drives could be found.   My question is am i possibly doing something wrong?  Is my original laptop hard drive corrupt/problematic?  Should I just give up and install a fresh OS on the 1TB and manually transfer the data over?

Laptop HDD was OEM Toshiba Sattelite series drive.

1TB is a brand new WD

Obviously cloning would be easier and more seamless, but I will manually transfer if absolutely necessary, but i'd much rather not.

Laptop Hard Drive

Image is AFTER cloning was attempted and failed.  I removed the clones partitions from the 1TB and I was left with the following...

8vp7w9.jpg

Disc0 = Laptop HDD

Disc1 = New WD 1TB HDD

C Drive is the OS

A Drive is partitioned simple storage

When you clone with clonezilla make sure to overwrite any BCD and accept the warnings. Clonezilla will do a sector by sector clone of a drive but will only add the boot sector if you allow it to do so.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)