Upgrade to SLI 970 or Single 980

Phinix

I currently have two MSI 670 PE's in SLI and I’m looking to upgrade as the 2GB Vram is getting maxed out more often than not these days in game, and thus hurting my FPS.

I currently am running at 1920x1200 but do plan to upgrade to 2560x1440 at some point.

I'm struggling to make the decision as to what I should upgrade to.

From what I’ve seen in benchmarks my two 670's are running at around the same performance as a single 980 less the Vram difference. But if I upgrade to the 980 I won’t be dealing with all the SLI issues that crop up.

On the other side of the stone, two 970’s currently costs the exact same as a single 980 where I live.

But as we all know the 970 has had a few issues lately regarding Vram.

So what do you guys think would be the smart play?

Stick with the 670's.

Get two 970's.

Get a single 980.

My signature explains it perfectly - Don't buy a GTX 980, it's overpriced! Buy 2 GTX 970s or 2 R9 290s intstead (the R9 290s would even be cheaper)  :) and two 970 will outperform  single 980 by 70-80%

Edit: Here in my build log, there is a comparison vs one 970 to 970 SLI in Unigine valley at Extreme HD Settings :) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/257759-first-build-project-yin-yang/?p=4303580

i would go with a single 980

i just dont bother with sli anymore

sometimes games have no supoort for sli and some times u get odd frame pacing issues (microstutter etc)

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

I'd suggest waiting if that's an option. If the rumors are true, improved SLI scaling and pooled VRAM with DX12 looks pretty promising. 2x 970's would annihilate if that becomes true.

My signature explains it perfectly - Don't buy a GTX 980, it's overpriced! Buy 2 GTX 970s or 2 R9 290s intstead (the R9 290s would even be cheaper)  :) and two 970 will outperform  single 980 by 70-80%

Edit: Here in my build log, there is a comparison vs one 970 to 970 SLI in Unigine valley at Extreme HD Settings :) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/257759-first-build-project-yin-yang/?p=4303580

There was a R9-295x on sale at the same price as a 980, but that got sold quickly.

I used to use AMD, but just prefer Nvidia now.

i would go with a single 980

i just dont bother with sli anymore

sometimes games have no supoort for sli and some times u get odd frame pacing issues (microstutter etc)

I know what you mean about SLI. There is nothing more infuriating when a new game comes out and you know that if you had a good SLI profile that you'd be able to max the setting in the game, instead your stuck waiting at half the FPS, but I personally have never had any micro-stutter problems with the 670’s.

The SLI profile thing is one of the reasons I'm considering a single 980 even though there would be close to no performance boost.

I'd suggest waiting if that's an option. If the rumors are true, improved SLI scaling and pooled VRAM with DX12 looks pretty promising. 2x 970's would annihilate if that becomes true.

My plan is to wait up until the launch of The Witcher 3. I would like to have a new GPU by then as I know my 2GB of Vram will not cut it at all.

My plan is to wait up until the launch of The Witcher 3. I would like to have a new GPU by then as I know my 2GB of Vram will not cut it at all.

Definitely understand :)

Have a GTX 980 FTW edition, holy hell this card is amazing. Definitely recommend grabbing a backplate with it, but I highly recommend the card.

Stick with the 670's.

Get two 970's.

Get a single 980.

A single 970 gets 85-90% of a 980's performance, for $200+ less, and 970 SLI has the potential to get significantly more. True, you'll have to wait for SLI profiles for games you play, but I think 970 SLI is the better choice. Even Linus recommended them over a single 980, and he usually doesn't recommend SLI when where's a better single card.

Titan: Intel Core i7-5820K | ASUS X99-A | Crucial Ballistix Sport 4x4GB DDR4-2400 | ASUS Strix GeForce GTX 970 | OCZ Arc 100 2x256GB in RAID 0 | Seagate Barracuda 2x2TB in RAID 1

EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 | Fractal Design Define R5 Titanium Window | Phanteks PH-TC14PE | ASUS BW-12B1ST

A single 970 gets 85-90% of a 980's performance, for $200+ less, and 970 SLI has the potential to get significantly more. True, you'll have to wait for SLI profiles for games you play, but I think 970 SLI is the better choice. Even Linus recommended them over a single 980, and he usually doesn't recommend SLI when where's a better single card.

I definitely see the advantage of it all as i said before, having SLI is wonderful...when it works.

I've done some reading up on the Vram issue, do you not think that should be a reason to sway more towards a 980 over a 970?

I definitely see the advantage of it all as i said before, having SLI is wonderful...when it works.

I've done some reading up on the Vram issue, do you not think that should be a reason to sway more towards a 980 over a 970?

70-80% more performance in optimized games > 12.5% more vram imo

RIP in pepperonis m8s

In most games at 1440p you'll be ok. On a bad console port or with a lot of texture packs or a lot of AA, less so. But with those issues, sometimes 4GB isn't enough either. It has an effect if you use between 3.5 and 4GB, but the hit is usually minimal.

Titan: Intel Core i7-5820K | ASUS X99-A | Crucial Ballistix Sport 4x4GB DDR4-2400 | ASUS Strix GeForce GTX 970 | OCZ Arc 100 2x256GB in RAID 0 | Seagate Barracuda 2x2TB in RAID 1

EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 | Fractal Design Define R5 Titanium Window | Phanteks PH-TC14PE | ASUS BW-12B1ST

70-80% more performance in optimized games > 12.5% more vram imo

I'm only concerned about Vram because that is what has killed my 670's. They have the power, just not enough Vram.

So in an attempt to "future proof" in some way (particularly if I’m planning to go 1440p at some point) I don’t want the reason why I have to upgrade my GPU after this, being for the same reason as not having enough Vram.

In most games at 1440p you'll be ok. On a bad console port or with a lot of texture packs or a lot of AA, less so. But with those issues, sometimes 4GB isn't enough either. It has an effect if you use between 3.5 and 4GB, but the hit is usually minimal.

As I said above. It's things like not being able to currently run Shadow of Mordor with ultra textures (or what ever the highest is called).

Same with Dragon age and a few other games of recent, just annoys me.

I currently have two MSI 670 PE's in SLI and I’m looking to upgrade as the 2GB Vram is getting maxed out more often than not these days in game, and thus hurting my FPS.

I currently am running at 1920x1200 but do plan to upgrade to 2560x1440 at some point.

I'm struggling to make the decision as to what I should upgrade to.

From what I’ve seen in benchmarks my two 670's are running at around the same performance as a single 980 less the Vram difference. But if I upgrade to the 980 I won’t be dealing with all the SLI issues that crop up.

On the other side of the stone, two 970’s currently costs the exact same as a single 980 where I live.

But as we all know the 970 has had a few issues lately regarding Vram.

Stick with the 670's.

Get two 970's.

Get a single 980.

Don't get SLI unless you have a multiscreen set up

CPU: i7 4790K-----GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 Gaming + MSI GTX 980 TWINFROZR ------MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 7-------RAM: Klevv Genuine 2400MHz-------PSU: EVGA 850W SuperNOVA G2-------CASE: Phanteks Enhtoo Luxe

Not being able to max out poorly optimized console ports is more a problem with their software than your GPU.  

If your max budget and only options are either 1 980 or 2 970s I would probably go with the 970s if you are looking a performance per dollar. If you want a plug and play option I'd take the 980.  

CPU Intel i7 5930k - Motherboard Asus X99 Deluxe - RAM Kingston DDR4 32GB - GPU nVidia GeForce GTX980 3way SLI - Case NZXT H440 – Samsung XP941 m.2, Samsung 850 Pro, WD Black, WD Red - PSU Corsair Ax1200i

As I said above. It's things like not being able to currently run Shadow of Mordor with ultra textures (or what ever the highest is called).

Same with Dragon age and a few other games of recent, just annoys me.

I have SoM. I sad-faced when I found out why things weren't working properly =(

If you’re wondering why this is such an important decision it's because GPUs are a lot more expensive where I live.

So if I convert my currency into USD, a 970 would be between 420 - 570 USD.
And a 980 between 650 - 880 USD.

wait for the watercooled new generation (i know its just a rumor but still)

sli needs optimized games, works better on multiple monitors afaik, and you are basicly buying an older card whereas you could just buy a second 980 later. yes the 980 is futureproof but overpriced.

So I’ve decided to go with the 980, as I don't feel like dealing with SLI issues anymore.

Now I’m trying to decide which one I should go for.

The following are the ones I have access to, so in everyone’s opinion out these which should I go for?

Asus 980 Strix

EVGA 980 Superclocked ACX

Galax 980 HOF

Gigabyte 980 G1 GAMING

MSI 980 GAMING