firefox and Download helper stopped working

I DID NOT SEE A BUTTON TO EDIT THE TITLE OF THIS THREAD, I HAVE SOLVED THE PROBLEM SEE THE UPDATE!!!

hello,

before you guys start on how i'm a pirate and stealing things, let me tell you what i use it for. 

1. my internet stinks and i get 5 hours of the day that is unmetered. that is not enough time to watch all the videos and podcasts in. 

2.  this 5 hours of unmetered traffic is durring a time when my brothers can not watch because they are asleep for school, so i download a few lets plays of Gmod and go to reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace and download the pics they link

3.  What i download is only download as a local cache for watching 1 time and then is deleted.

recently (about 2 days ago)  download helper for firefox stopped downloading files.  i do not think it is youtube because it doesn't work on Reddit and other video sites either. 

what it does is put the files in the "queue" but doesn't initialize them actually downloading, does it with all sites from what i can tell. 

Is any one else having this problem with DLH?

is there a fix?

Do you have alternatives?

thanks. 

UPDATE:

Got it working

went back to Firefox 35.0.1 on the firefox FTP site and it works now
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/35.0.1/win32/en-US/

Update 2:

also i had chrome installed (for occasions like this were i'm uninstalling and messing with firefox) and chrome is slower on just everything.  happy i never switched all those years ago when my friends did.   

i also tested loading pages on the fresh firefox (during the process to fix this i deleted all folder that firefox had including caches) and firefox was still faster on the few pages i tested (LTT forums, logging in and getting to this thread) firefox was faster and smoother in doing so.  

CPU: AMD FX8350 CPU Cooler Zalman CNPS 12x Motherboard Asus M5A99FX Pro R2 GPU RX480 4GB) Memory 16GB DDR1333 SSD: PNY Prevail 120G + Corsair Force LE 120G (Steam) Bulk storage Stable Bit Drive Pool with 5x 2TB 2x 3TB PSU Corsair 600w Case Rosewill Throne