MC server problems

waggythegeek
Go to solution Solved by Enderman,

its a bug with the server

it wont show anything

make a bath file and put this in it:

java -Xmx4G -jar server.jar nogui

the 4G is telling it to use 4GB of ram, you can change this depending on how much ram you want to give it

the server.jar is the name of the server file, you might be using exe or jar, just change the name to whatever yours is

the nogui tells it to not display the GUI (because its useless if it doesnt show anything)

instead the server log will be shown in the CMD window, you can see the log and run commands from there

Hello, you have probably seen my previous pleas for minecraft server help, however nobody seems to have an answer. I am the guy whose server log isn't displaying anything. See pic to see what I mean. I recently found this error in the log file, and since I have no clue how to understand java, I am hoping you can help me figure this out. Help!

Error is as follows:

[16:14:46] [server console handler/ERROR]: Exception handling console input
java.io.IOException: The handle is invalid
 at java.io.FileInputStream.readBytes(Native Method) ~[?:1.8.0_31]
 at java.io.FileInputStream.read(Unknown Source) ~[?:1.8.0_31]
 at java.io.BufferedInputStream.read1(Unknown Source) ~[?:1.8.0_31]
 at java.io.BufferedInputStream.read(Unknown Source) ~[?:1.8.0_31]
 at sun.nio.cs.StreamDecoder.readBytes(Unknown Source) ~[?:1.8.0_31]
 at sun.nio.cs.StreamDecoder.implRead(Unknown Source) ~[?:1.8.0_31]
 at sun.nio.cs.StreamDecoder.read(Unknown Source) ~[?:1.8.0_31]
 at java.io.InputStreamReader.read(Unknown Source) ~[?:1.8.0_31]
 at java.io.BufferedReader.fill(Unknown Source) ~[?:1.8.0_31]
 at java.io.BufferedReader.readLine(Unknown Source) ~[?:1.8.0_31]
 at java.io.BufferedReader.readLine(Unknown Source) ~[?:1.8.0_31]
 at pr.run(SourceFile:81) [minecraft_server.1.8.1.exe:?]
[16:14:46] [server thread/INFO]: Loading properties

post-158440-0-16067700-1425001918_thumb.

Just a guy who peaked at building back in the days of the GTX 980. If you see me here, assume i have technical knowledge akin to a committed hobbyist builder back then. If something's changed, you'll need to tell me(nicely plz). I'm probably asking for help with the modern build scene since I have no clue what's going on.

make a .bat and use that instead 

\/Specs\/

Xeon E3 1230 V3-Maximus vi hero-2x4gb G skill RipjawsX 2133-EVGA supernova-1 tb seagate-Samsung 840 EVO 1TB-NZXT H440-EVGA 6Gb 780 Razer-Blackwidow Ultimate-Corsair M65

MSI Ghost Pro GS60 

it wont show anything

the 4G is telling it to use 4GB of ram, you can change this depending on how much ram you want to give it

the server.jar is the name of the server file, you might be using exe or jar, just change the name to whatever yours is

the nogui tells it to not display the GUI (because its useless if it doesnt show anything)

instead the server log will be shown in the CMD window, you can see the log and run commands from there

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

it wont show anything

sooo close to solving...... name of what? the thing I click to run the server normally?

Just a guy who peaked at building back in the days of the GTX 980. If you see me here, assume i have technical knowledge akin to a committed hobbyist builder back then. If something's changed, you'll need to tell me(nicely plz). I'm probably asking for help with the modern build scene since I have no clue what's going on.

sooo close to solving...... name of what? the thing I click to run the server normally?

yeah the server thingy that you downloaded and runs the server

make sure this batch file is in the same folder as the server file

you know how to make a batch file, right? just save as something.bat

then whenever you want to run the server, click on the bat file instead of the old server.exe/jar

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

then whenever you want to run the server, click on the bat file instead of the old server.exe/jar

jajaja, ik, thx. much very solvedness! #wow *bows* however can I repay you? also, is 4 gigs a normal amount? i'm on an 8 gig laptop, how many gigs can I spare you think?

jajaja, ik, thx. much very solvedness! #wow *bows* however can I repay you? also, is 4 gigs a normal amount? i'm on an 8 gig laptop, how many gigs can I spare you think?

youre welcome ;)

4GB is perfect for a MC server, and leaves you still 4GB of ram for anything else you need, which is usually enough :)

the server should only use less than 1GB regularly, the 4GB is just a max

Spoiler

youre welcome ;)

4GB is perfect for a MC server, and leaves you still 4GB of ram for anything else you need, which is usually enough :)

the server should only use less than 1GB regularly, the 4GB is just a max

One more thing, it's okay to say no if you want:

Can you piece by piece pull apart that command and how it solves the error? I'm trying to slowly teach myself software stuff, not just hardware stuff.

* thinks to self * "wow, he must play Minecraft a lot"

*realizes name is enderman*

*facepalm*

One more thing, it's okay to say no if you want:

Can you piece by piece pull apart that command and how it solves the error? I'm trying to slowly teach myself software stuff, not just hardware stuff.

the "java" tells your computer to use java to run the program

"-Xmx4G" tells your computer that the maximum ram this program can use is 4GB (usually the default is one, and the server runs smoother with more ram)

"-jar" just is another part of the runtime arguments telling it to use java

"server.jar" is just the name of the minecraft server program

"nogui" is what tells your PC to not run the server window, which is what causes the error

this white GUI issue has been around for a while, since 1.7 i think and it hasnt been fixed yet

i basically just got used to using CMD for all commands and stuff :)

Spoiler

the "java" tells your computer to use java to run the program

"-Xmx4G" tells your computer that the maximum ram this program can use is 4GB (usually the default is one, and the server runs smoother with more ram)

"-jar" just is another part of the runtime arguments telling it to use java

"server.jar" is just the name of the minecraft server program

"nogui" is what tells your PC to not run the server window, which is what causes the error

this white GUI issue has been around for a while, since 1.7 i think and it hasnt been fixed yet

i basically just got used to using CMD for all commands and stuff :)

Thanq soooooo much

xD see what I did there? You pronounce it than-kyew. Than-q thanq

Thanq soooooo much

xD see what I did there? You pronounce it than-kyew. Than-q thanq

lol

Spoiler

lol

Would  you mind if I borrowed your genius one more time?

My server has been crashing. with no warning. There are no error messages in the actual log, but there are two in cmd before the start of the log. Might it be tied to these?

Would  you mind if I borrowed your genius one more time?

My server has been crashing. with no warning. There are no error messages in the actual log, but there are two in cmd before the start of the log. Might it be tied to these?

screenshot?

and what happens when it crashes?

does the CMD window close?

Spoiler

screenshot?

and what happens when it crashes?

does the CMD window close?

yeah. It just closes, then no one can get on.

Screenshot:

post-158440-0-76400200-1425086464_thumb.

yeah. It just closes, then no one can get on.

Screenshot:

attachicon.gifServer CMD error msgs.PNG

k i dont think that error has anything to do with your crashes...

go into your batch file

put "pause" on a second line

save and restart

next time it crashes, the CMD window will not close and you will be able to see the error

take a screenshot of that

Spoiler

go into your batch file

save and restart

next time it crashes, the CMD window will not close and you will be able to see the error

coolcool

will do

how do I edit batch file

coolcool

will do

how do I edit batch file

right click and "edit"

Spoiler

right click and "edit"

Riiiiiiight.... Feelin kinda stupid. Good ol' right click.

go into your batch file

save and restart

Now we just gotta wait for it to glitch...

well, just /stop it manually for the night, got these errors... don't know if this helps, as it wasn't a crash... @Enderman

post-158440-0-76666500-1425104834_thumb.

post-158440-0-76666500-1425104834_thumb.

well, just /stop it manually for the night, got these errors... don't know if this helps, as it wasn't a crash... @Enderman

attachicon.gifCMD SErver Error 2.PNG

no thats fine, i get that too sometimes when turning my server off

just wait for a crash to happen then post it here :)

Spoiler

go into your batch file

save and restart

ok, still hasn't crashed, but i'm getting a heck of a lot of tick warnings... How can I fix these?

post-158440-0-65235800-1425144327_thumb.

ok, still hasn't crashed, but i'm getting a heck of a lot of tick warnings... How can I fix these?

attachicon.gifMore CMD error-tick.PNG

those are just your computer not being able to keep up, you will get a lot more when people are on the server doing stuff

you are using 64 bit java right?

what CPU do you have?

Spoiler

those are just your computer not being able to keep up, you will get a lot more when people are on the server doing stuff

you are using 64 bit java right?

what CPU do you have?

i7-3632QM @ 2.2

my computer is doing nothing but running the server, my DUC for noip.com, and one tab on IE. and Spotify, but no music playing. Nobody is on the server. How do I tell if I have 32 or 64 java?