[INFO] SSD life, and multiple rewrites are bad?

Amit Moryossef

Hey guys!

So I always heard to move temp folders to HDD, programs, and W/E, and whatever I do, never format unless it is last ressort.

so I formated for last resort, and I was bumbed so I downloaded this software that tells me my SSD life.

Data written/read is solid, I trust it because it makes 100% sence.

f2995970036331cddc63c96caeaf952a.png

So my question is: How is it possible that I have written above 2TB of data to a 120GB SSD, and life is expected for many years to come?

If it is defenatly possble, so why did I move all the temps and W/E to HDD?

Thanks in advance!

Because SSDs are very resilient these days. A few TBs won't do any harm to a modern ssds -- which can easily last through hundreds of terabytes of writes. 

http://techreport.com/review/27062/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-only-two-remain-after-1-5pb

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Because SSDs are very resilient these days. A few TBs won't do any harm to a modern ssds -- which can easily last through hundreds of terabytes of writes. 

http://techreport.com/review/27062/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-only-two-remain-after-1-5pb

Thanks dude I realy didnt know about this!

2 questions:

What does that mean for the avarage pc user with an SSD? can he just go wild with it?

What does that mean for me? The test were done on a 256GB SSD, so is it safe to say that my expectency will be short in half? (120GB)

What does that mean for the avarage pc user with an SSD? can he just go wild with it?

What does that mean for me? The test were done on a 256GB SSD, so is it safe to say that my expectency will be short in half? (120GB)def

Yes. You can do pretty much anything you want and you won't hurt the drive. Just don't go Defragging or formating the drive for no reason (there is never a reason to defrag an ssd). 

It doesn't really work like that......I'll just put it this way --- don't worry about how many writes you're going to do. You won't hurt the drive. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

You don't need to be that careful. I still have my first ssd in use to this day. A Corsair Force 120gb sata 2 disk, probably close to 5 years old at this point. It's been formatted multiple times, in tons of different systems. My primary rig, my laptop, a friends PC, my PS3 and so on. Still runs perfectly.

I've got an SSD in a server that acts as a cache, and that's seen multiple TBs written, read and then deleted, as well as having been formatted again and again and again as it gets reallocated to a different pool and it's still fine. I don't think lifetime is a particular concern for SSDs anymore. Controller issues though... (Looking at you, OCZ).