EVGA 780ti ATX SC SLI heating issues

Hello friends,

I have just finally gotten my computer built the way I want it.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/4TYT3C

I am so happy because when I bought the extra 780ti on ebay last week for like 325$ (a steal), the PCIE-2 slot on my MSI-G55 motherboard was broken. Well, it wouldn't read the graphics card, and I kept getting the dreaded error code 12 where there wasn't enough resources. So I sucked it up, and bought the ASUS hero VII. It works great and I love it except for one big problem. My top card gets WAY hotter than my bottom card. When I ran benchmarks, I'm talking 63 C compared to 83 C. I am not sure what to do. I can't really separate them anymore than they already are. If anyone can help or just tell me if they have had something like this happen before and their solution, that would be amazing. Thank you so much for your time reading this and I appreciate any help. THANKS AGAIN!!

Sincerely,

Anthony Bartholomew

your top card will always be hotter than your bottom card unless you have a custom water loop on them. Heat rises and its just physics working against you. My top card is always at least 10 degrees hotter than my bottom under load, and there is even a gap between my gpu's.

When in doubt, re-format.

Thank you for the reply. I wouldn't really worry that much about it but while playing BF4 at 4k I got the blue screen of death an error message MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION and I wasn't running software to show what the temp was but it must have been way to much to blue screen me. :/

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the reply. I wouldn't really worry that much about it but while playing BF4 at 4k I got the blue screen of death an error message MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION and I wasn't running software to show what the temp was but it must have been way to much to blue screen me. :/

I'd be interested to hear about the fan positions in your case.  Do you have fans blowing directly across the 780 ti's? It may be a simple fix, like hanging a new fan in your case that would help your front intake to blow additional air across your gpus.

I highly doubt you got a BSOD because your top card is running hotter. The only thing that would happen is that your top card would throttle more, causing it to run at lower clocks. Your BSOD came from somewhere else.

Also, you have two reference cooled GTX 780ti's right?

5820K - ASUS X99-A - 16GB Corsair LPX - HD 7970 GHz - Qnix 1440p @ 96Hz - Waiting for Polaris/Pascal

The top card will always be hotter, the only real way to get rid of the difference is to watercool. That being said 83c is not an issue for a 7xx card so it's not something to be worried about. You could do what I did and run your PC on an open test bench, doing that dropped my idle and load temps by a good bit.

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"