gtx 980/970

Naeem

So im having abit of a problem with my budget.

Is it worth taking a Gtx 970 instead of 980 for the €250~ difference even after the 3.5gb~ issue.

Or would you recommend waiting longer and then get a 980.

also if you recommend a 970 wich one do you recommend? myself i like gigabyte g1 gaming card because it looks good and has great cooling but is also more expensive than some other options.

Ty for helping me out :)

-edit-
Sorry i forgot to mention i will be 1080p gaming on 1 monitor and maybe 2 in the future. or switching to 1x 1440p

Get the 970 if you plan to play at 1080p / 1440p! 

The MSi one is a nice card, the ASUS STRIX one is really well-received, and the Gigabyte G1 seems to be best for overclocking! 

Hope this help! :-)

Get the 970 if you plan to play at 1080p / 1440p! 

The MSi one is a nice card, the ASUS STRIX one is really well-received, and the Gigabyte G1 seems to be best for overclocking! 

Hope this help! :-)

Will the 970 be more then enough to play @ 60fps ultra settings? in 1080p / 1440p( i might throw in a 2nd card if i upgrade to 1440p)

For 1080p and 1440p, I would say yeah. GTX 980 is better, but its just not as good as the price they are asking for it.

In Europe, if you are looking for cheap but good GTX 970, you should take a look at Palit JetStream. Alternatively, MSI Gaming and Asus Strix are both really great, but they are not really cheaper than G1 Gaming.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1355?vs=1351

970 fits your needs well. The G1 is the best performing of them, but the majority of them are good anyway. 

Will the 970 be more then enough to play @ 60fps ultra settings? in 1080p / 1440p( i might throw in a 2nd card if i upgrade to 1440p)

Yes. The only game I know it doesn't handle at 1080p Ultra is Shadow of Mordor with the HD Textures. (Recommends a 6GB card.)

Otherwise, you should see no issues! I don't know a game I can't play at Ultra with my EVGA SSC 970!

In most games, yes. You may have to turn off/down AA in some games at 1440p. 

Read my signature, there you will find your answer :P

Why the EVGA SSC?

Why the EVGA SSC?

I meant the part - Don't buy a GTX 980, it's overpriced! Buy 2 GTX 970s or 2 R9 290s intstead (the R9 290s would even be cheaper)

Yes. The only game I know it doesn't handle at 1080p Ultra is Shadow of Mordor with the HD Textures. (Recommends a 6GB card.)

Otherwise, you should see no issues! I don't know a game I can't play at Ultra with my EVGA SSC 970!

Atm im playing on a 5yr old laptop so i can even open Shadow of mordor wihtout HD textures :P ill give it some tought but because of all these pro 970 comments im leaning towards the 970.

Why the EVGA SSC?

Why NOT the EVGA SSC? It's a great overclocker, has a great cooler, has no LEDs (which can be intrusive in builds) and uses two 6-pin PCI-E connectors. (Versus 8+6 or a single 8.) Really though the variance between them is not enough to make or break any deals. I'd take ean EVGA one over an ASUS one if it meant I had to wait a few more days for the ASUS one. 

Thank you all for helping i think i will go for a 970 and maybe in a few years if its not enough power take the then new GPU.

Why NOT the EVGA SSC? It's a great overclocker, has a great cooler, has no LEDs (which can be intrusive in builds) and uses two 6-pin PCI-E connectors. (Versus 8+6 or a single 8.) Really though the variance between them is not enough to make or break any deals. I'd take ean EVGA one over an ASUS one if it meant I had to wait a few more days for the ASUS one. 

Let me correct you - it uses 8+6pin connectors ;) I know, I have two of these puppies :P

Let me correct you - it uses 8+6pin connectors ;) I know, I have two of these puppies :P

Mine uses two six-pin...

I know this is abit off topic but is overclocking easy? This gonna be my first PC and im aware that the gtx 900 series are made for overclocking.. ofc i wont go all balls deep and overclock to the max but is it easy even for me who never done this to overclock it atleast a noticable amount?

I know this is abit off topic but is overclocking easy? This gonna be my first PC and im aware that the gtx 900 series are made for overclocking.. ofc i wont go all balls deep and overclock to the max but is it easy even for me who never done this to overclock it atleast a noticable amount?

Truth be told I am not overclocking my card - the very card I just said overclocks well. I am not bothering yet because I need a new CPU to push past these bottlenecks. 

That aside, yes, it is VERY easy! Especially with programs like MSi Afterburner, EVGA PRecisionX, etc! Bump up the Power Target, bump up your clocks, and start pushing the card to as far as it can go while being stable! I'd go more in-depth, but it's 5am and I haven't slept and there are plenty of guides out there for you. :-)

Truth be told I am not overclocking my card - the very card I just said overclocks well. I am not bothering yet because I need a new CPU to push past these bottlenecks. 

That aside, yes, it is VERY easy! Especially with programs like MSi Afterburner, EVGA PRecisionX, etc! Bump up the Power Target, bump up your clocks, and start pushing the card to as far as it can go while being stable! I'd go more in-depth, but it's 5am and I haven't slept and there are plenty of guides out there for you. :-)

Go sleep then :) Ty for helping out.

Why the SSC And not the FTW? I looked it and the FTW is cheaper than the SSC in the netherlands.. :P

http://tweakers.net/categorie/49/videokaarten/producten/#filter:q1ZKKkrMS_FMKVayijYxNo7VUSooykxO9c3MU7Iy0FEqLkhNdsvMKUktAiqoVjIyApFliTlA1UoWJqaWSrG1tbUA

Would a 750w PSU be enough for 970 SLI? or would u recommend going 850w to be safe?

Sir, I regret to inform you but 750w is not enough for even a single 970. You'll be looking at something like an AX 1200i from Corsair if you want to stay current.

I couldn't type that with a straight face. 

Sir, you could run three 970s in SLi in 750w. :-)

I would love to just buy a 970, but I am afraid of the coil whine issue. Do you guys think the ftw+ edition has less or non?

If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself.