Which gives a better gaming experience, 120hz or 2560x1440

ajoy39

Hey guys, I'm looking to get a couple 27 inch monitors with my next build and I'm a little torn. I can't find a monitor that is 120hz refresh rate AND 2560 x 1440 (and based on the price of monitors with just one of these features, I probably don't want one). So which of those features provides a better boost to the picture clarity and overall gaming experience? Faster refresh rate, or high resolution? 

I vote the resolution because if you have 2560x1440/1600 then chances are you probably have a big monitor. A bigger monitor, same with multiple monitors gives a more imersseve experience, at least in my opinion it is. I can't tell the difference between 60hz, 75hz, let alone 120hz. BUT this is all just me.

It depends if you play FPS the most the 120hz. A 1440p screen if you get a brand name one will have much better color and picture and will improve your normal computer usage also having the higher pixel density. I have a 1440p and its a night and day difference from 1080p and games like strategy games benefit from the extra pixels while RPGs benefit from the better colors.

That's going to depend on personal preference and the type of games you primarily play. I would get the higher resolution with and quality panel like IPS or VA.

Personally, I would go with a higher resolution any day. 

It's a toss up but I'd go for the 120hz display.  Will look stunning for fast action games, but you'll have to have a lot of GPU power to actually take advantage of that.  

i5-3570K @4.2ghz | Gigabyte Z77-DS3H | 16GB G. Skill Ripjaw 1600mhz 9-9-9-24 (2x8GB) | 120GB Vertex 3/640GB WD 7200RPM | AMD HD7950 @ 1025mhz | 600W Corsair CS600 | Hyper 212 CPU Cooler | 5x 120mm fans 79cfm | Ultra Defender Case

It's a toss up but I'd go for the 120hz display.  Will look stunning for fast action games, but you'll have to have a lot of GPU power to actually take advantage of that.  

Crossfite 7970s or 9970s depending on the release date for those, horse power is not a problem. 

Personally for me a major part of gaming is the ability to explore a fictional universe, and strange new worlds. Especially in single player gaming. So given the choice I would go for a high res IPS display which really makes those environments look stunning and vibrant. That adds hugely to my experience and draws me in.

But that's just me. For other gamers they are in it more for fast twitch gameplay and multiplayer fps. For them it may be worth sacrificing good looking colors for a higher refresh rate.

So just ask yourself what kind of gamer you are which is more important to you.

Definitely for an IPS 1440p display.

An IPS/PLS panel will make colors more vibrant giving you a more immersive experience especially when combined with 1440p. Not only does that resolution benefit games, it also gives your desktop more space to work with. 120Hz monitors pretty much only benefits fast action FPS games.

PS. I don't know of any 1440p 120Hz displays, probably some obscure Korean maker would have one though.

Higher resolution, a larger screen right in front of you at native 1440/1600p does wonders for the gaming experience. Just like how movies are better on a larger TV and best at the cinema (as long as the people around you can shut up).

Depends what games you are playing.  You are going to really notice the motion blur on an IPS panel so if you want to be competitive in fast paced first person shooters like counter-strike, battlefield, call of duty etc. you would be best off with a 120hz monitor.  

I bough an ASUS VG248QE 144hz monitor and love it.  I have become much more competitive in first person shooter games (which are the games I mainly play) and find myself turning down graphics on more demanding games to maintain stable 100+ fps rates.  

Thats really up to you and what you play most, just like most people said here.

Personally, i'd probably go the 1440p way, just cause I love pixels and I can't really see the difference between 60Hz and 120Hz.

So if you mainly play FPS games then you should probably go 120Hz, otherwise i'd go for the 1440p monitor.

Another thing is if you go 120Hz, you need a lot more GPU horsepower in order to make full use of the new monitor!

Just another thing to consider. 120Hz benefits you only in gaming. A good 25x14 PLS/IPS monitor will look better in gaming, movies, photos, has more screen real estate, better view angles, etc, etc.