designated modem and router? or 2 in 1?

dhendry71

just curious...im assuming having one of each is better?

Most now adays are both

keep it simple

I like having them separate, since it makes upgrading easier(I've had the same modem for the past 5 years, but have been through many routers). Also some 2-in-1's are limited than regular routers(less options, limitations with settings, etc.), so having a full router might be better depending on what you mess with.

As a general rule of thumb it's better to have a separate device for each function. Because routers are basically little computers so the less tasks you throw at it the better it'll perform. On the other hand modem/router/APs are generally the more cost-effective option. So my advice is to start with an all-in-one modem/router/AP and then when you want to upgrade upgrade just one part of what it does. Disable the WiFi and get a higher class AP, get a NAS instead of using the USB port, plug in a bigger switch etc, etc.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

For lower speeds it doesn't really matter it's a 2 in 1 or separate. But go anywhere over 80Mbps and it starts to matter a lot.

I've got a 2 in 1 at home. Should I add a router in bridge mode to take the router load off of the 2 in 1? My internet service is 125Mbps, so I assume I should separate the devices?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X @ 4.7GHz | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 | Motherboard: X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI | RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB | Case: NCase M1 v6.0 | SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo+ 1TB, 860 Evo 1TB | CPU Cooler: H100i ELITE CAPELLIX | MonitorsLG 27GN950-B 4K 165Hz |

I've got a 2 in 1 at home. Should I add a router in bridge mode to take the router load off of the 2 in 1? My internet service is 125Mbps, so I assume I should separate the devices?

I would add the 2nd router, but don't use it in bridge mode. Go into your Modem and disable the router portion of it, then use the 2nd Router as a full router.

This is usually possible with most All-in-one Modem/Router/AP's, but it is brand/model specific. What is the brand and model number of yours?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I would add the 2nd router, but don't use it in bridge mode. Go into your Modem and disable the router portion of it, then use the 2nd Router as a full router.

This is usually possible with most All-in-one Modem/Router/AP's, but it is brand/model specific. What is the brand and model number of yours?

I've got a Netgear WNDR3400v2

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X @ 4.7GHz | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 | Motherboard: X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI | RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB | Case: NCase M1 v6.0 | SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo+ 1TB, 860 Evo 1TB | CPU Cooler: H100i ELITE CAPELLIX | MonitorsLG 27GN950-B 4K 165Hz |

I've got a Netgear WNDR3400v2

That model seems to only be a router (not a modem), according to specs online. How is your internet connected? Phone line? Coaxial Cable? Something else all together?

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

That model seems to only be a router (not a modem), according to specs online. How is your internet connected? Phone line? Coaxial Cable? Something else all together?

OH, I thought you were asking for what router I had, sorry. I'm not too sure on the gateway, it's from Comcast's 105Mbps package. It does have a bridge mode for routers though. As well as turning off the wireless networks.

2 in 1's are good for those who don't do a whole lot with very few devices and are on the cheap. But if you're the one to have many connected devices and use quite a bit of band-width. Then having a separate modem and router is the best reliable choice. Also the specs that are in 2 in 1's are very weak and not so reliable parts. They tend to not handle the work load very well. So I say it doesn't hurt to invest in good hardware for a proper network setup.

Well when I'm back at home for the summer, I'll have my gigabit switch for my desktop, so I'm not too worried.

OH, I thought you were asking for what router I had, sorry. I'm not too sure on the gateway, it's from Comcast's 105Mbps package. It does have a bridge mode for routers though. As well as turning off the wireless networks.

Haha no worries :)

Yes, the bridge mode is basically what you'll want to activate. Then plug the gateway into the "WAN" port on your actual router. You'll want to disable wireless on the gateway too.

Btw there should be a model number on it somewhere. Usually on the back or underneath.