Traveling to Japan this May, looking for some advice?

11ryane

Hi All,

I hope it is ok to post this topic here. 

Myself and two of my close friends are planning a trip to Japan this May for 12 nights in total.

The plan so far is Tokyo for 4 nights, then a night in Fuji region, two nights in Nagoya, four nights in Osaka and back to Tokyo for the last night.

I am hoping some people may be able to suggest places of interest to visit or share their experiences of Japan.

I am from Ireland have never travelled outside of Europe so it will be a big change and hopefully an unforgettable experience.

Any advice from anyone who has traveled to Japan or has lived there would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance 

-snip-

Kyoto seems like a cool place, but I'm not sure if you can go there.

Either way, small bit of advice: bring your own deodorant. They don't really sell that in Japan.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Beware of the toilet

Nvidia is to Dr Dre Beets as AMD is to KFC.

One makes you broke, the other you can get more of and have a midnight snack from the fridge when hungry again. Once you go Nvidia, you go broked, turn into an Elitist, or get the incorrect amount of VRAM.

- WCCFTECH

I was only 9 years old. I loved Fifflaren so much, I had all the NiP merchandise and matches pirated. I prayed to Fifflaren every night before bed. Thanking him for the life I have been given. Fifflaren is love I say. Fifflaren is life. My dad hears and calls me a fuckhead. I knew he was just jelly of my passion for Fifflaren. I called him a Sw@yer. He hits me and sends me to go to sleep. I'm crying now, and my face hurts. I lay in bed and it's really cold. A warmth is moving towards me. I feel someone touching me. I feel someone touching me. It's Fifflaren. I am so happy. He whispers in my ear; "this is my pyjama". He grabs me with his powerful Swedish hands and puts me on my hands and knees. I'm ready. I spread my ass cheeks for Fifflaren. He penetrates my butt-hole. It hurts so much but I do it for Fifflaren. I can feel my butt tearing as my eyes start to water. I push against his force. I want to please Fifflaren. He roars a viking roar as he fills my butt with his love. My dad walks in. Fifflaren looks straight into his eyes and says; "He is a ninja now". Fifflaren is love, Fifflaren is life 

Kyoto seems like a cool place, but I'm not sure if you can go there.

Kyoto is somewhere might travel to when we are in Osaka, I think it is about an hour north by train. 

take ALOT of street photography/portraits as you can :D

would love to travel to japan someday :D

1500th post 

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

Beware of the toilet

Yeah the toilets are suppose to be interesting ha 

Kyoto is somewhere might travel to when we are in Osaka, I think it is about an hour north by train. 

Sweet :)

Not sure if you're a fan of it.. But I know the Nintendo HQs are there.

You probably can't really visit, but you never know..

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

take ALOT of street photography/portraits as you can :D

would love to travel to japan someday :D

I'm thinking of getting a GoPro for the trip to be able to record as much of the trip as possible 

Sweet :)

Not sure if you're a fan of it.. But I know the Nintendo HQs are there.

You probably can't really visit, but you never know..

Be nice to go see that, my two friends are into their cars so we have organised the Toyota tour so be good get something Gamer related to even it out. 

Hoping to visit Akihabara in Tokyo also.

not sure if it will save you money, you do the math but for me it was great. one day I just opened a map of japan closed my eyes and pointed at a random point and that was the place I went for supper. the pass is basically an all you can use for shinkansen
http://www.jrpass.com/?gclid=Cj0KEQiA37CnBRChp7e-pM2Mzp0BEiQAlSxQCB6Kn6huhLg-qXS_6r60QDx3Rl6AKug89uvnOtu9XC0aAuRg8P8HAQ

near tokyo I went kamakura to the daibutsu. was great but dwarfed by the bigass buddha in nara. but I think I'd rather spend all my days in the city for the full tokyo experience.

on your way to osaka I'd go to himeji. out of all the castles I went to in japan himeji was the most memorable one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Himeji_Castle

I also had more fun in Kyoto than Nagoya but I am a big history buff and kyoto was the longest running capital city. there's just way too many cool old buildings there to list.

as long as none of your crew is over 6 feet tall I'd suggest at least spending one night in a capsule hotel its so weird and alien. also if you are really into saving cash I can link a few vids of a japanese guy crashing at places for $10-15 a night

Hi All,

I hope it is ok to post this topic here. 

Myself and two of my close friends are planning a trip to Japan this May for 12 nights in total.

The plan so far is Tokyo for 4 nights, then a night in Fuji region, two nights in Nagoya, four nights in Osaka and back to Tokyo for the last night.

I am hoping some people may be able to suggest places of interest to visit or share their experiences of Japan.

I am from Ireland have never travelled outside of Europe so it will be a big change and hopefully an unforgettable experience.

Any advice from anyone who has traveled to Japan or has lived there would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance 

if you are traveling frequently by train

be sure to buy JR Rail Pass which are valid for the duration of your trip

I not sure if you need to buy seperate passes for different region so be sure to check

For traveling within Tokyo, be sure to get Suica Pass which is similar to London's Tube Oyster Card

Harajuku, Sibuya, Akakusa are the must travel spots in Tokyo

Also dont forget to visit the Tokyo Tower and the New Sky Tree

BTW which airport you will be landing in Japan?

Narita or Henada?

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

not sure if it will save you money, you do the math but for me it was great. one day I just opened a map of japan closed my eyes and pointed at a random point and that was the place I went for supper. the pass is basically an all you can use for shinkansen

http://www.jrpass.com/?gclid=Cj0KEQiA37CnBRChp7e-pM2Mzp0BEiQAlSxQCB6Kn6huhLg-qXS_6r60QDx3Rl6AKug89uvnOtu9XC0aAuRg8P8HAQ

near tokyo I went kamakura to the daibutsu. was great but dwarfed by the bigass buddha in nara. but I think I'd rather spend all my days in the city for the full tokyo experience.

on your way to osaka I'd go to himeji. out of all the castles I went to in japan himeji was the most memorable one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Himeji_Castle

I also had more fun in Kyoto than Nagoya but I am a big history buff and kyoto was the longest running capital city. there's just way too many cool old buildings there to list.

as long as none of your crew is over 6 feet tall I'd suggest at least spending one night in a capsule hotel its so weird and alien. also if you are really into saving cash I can link a few vids of a japanese guy crashing at places for $10-15 a night

I think we will rent a car for some of the trip and use trains for the rest of the transport. So the JRPass looks like tit might be an option for travelling from Nagoya to Osaka and around the Osaka region. So hopefully will get to see some nice castles and temples on my travels.

As for a capsule hotel it is definitely something I would like to try but I am 6 foot 4 so mighten be an option :-(

-snip-

I don't have advice but a question if you don't mind answering it. How much does it cost to go there? I plan on going there next year.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

if you are traveling frequently by train

be sure to buy JR Rail Pass which are valid for the duration of your trip

I not sure if you need to buy seperate passes for different region so be sure to check

For traveling within Tokyo, be sure to get Suica Pass which is similar to London's Tube Oyster Card

Harajuku, Sibuya, Akakusa are the must travel spots in Tokyo

Also dont forget to visit the Tokyo Tower and the New Sky Tree

BTW which airport you will be landing in Japan?

Narita or Henada?

The rail travel is something I need to try get a grasp of before I go if possible. I lived in London for a year so am familiar with the Tube, but this will be a lot harder to master haha

Harajuku/Sibuya part of Tokyo is on list already, a lot of nice parks around that part of the city it seems.

Not sure of what is the attractions in Asakusa, anything you recommend?

Flying into Haneda airport by the way 

I don't have advice but a question if you don't mind answering it. How much does it cost to go there? I plan on going there next year.

Dublin to London and then to Tokyo was €670 Return with British Airways.

Not too bad considering it is just over 6,000 miles each way.

Dublin to London and then to Tokyo was €670 Return with British Airways.

Not too bad considering it is just over 6,000 miles each way.

Not bad. You will have to let us how your trp went. I love anything Japan related. I really want to go.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

Not bad. You will have to let us how your trip went. I love anything Japan related. I really want to go.

I will definitely update this trend after I get back. :)  

@11ryane TAKE. ME. WITH. YOU.

PLEEEEAAASSSEEE.....

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

@11ryane TAKE. ME. WITH. YOU.

PLEEEEAAASSSEEE.....

You think you would fit in my check in bag? Im sure customs wouldn't notice haha

You think you would fit in my check in bag? Im sure customs wouldn't notice haha

That had better be one big ass check in bag.

I just would really like to go to japan, I hear the girls like heavy men lol (or is that just a stereotype?) Either way...nuru massage mmmm....

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

The rail travel is something I need to try get a grasp of before I go if possible. I lived in London for a year so am familiar with the Tube, but this will be a lot harder to master haha

Harajuku/Sibuya part of Tokyo is on list already, a lot of nice parks around that part of the city it seems.

Not sure of what is the attractions in Asakusa, anything you recommend?

Flying into Haneda airport by the way 

Haneda airport will be closer to Tokyo since it is connected via the monorail, be sure to buy your Rail Pass beforehand

Just think of the Japan rail system like the Tube.

Use Shinjuku station as you starting point and map you way around your destinations

But take note that there are other metro lines other than JR ones and they will need a seperate ticket or card to enter the trains

Asakusa has shopping belt just for selling cooking items from cooking utensils to plastic food displays

also the Asakusa is famous for the Sensō-ji temple

and if you go to the riverside, you can see the Tokyo Sky Tree and you can take a ferry ride down the river.

Ueno Park and Harajuku can be an interesting place to see ppl gathering during the weekends

Akiharabara will be Otakus heaven

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Hey!

I've been to Japan twice, and the one thing I would say is that Tokyo is HUGE! We went to Kyoto by Shinkansen the first time, but after that we decided to stick to one city. Now I've been there for a total of five weeks, and I've still not even scratched the surface of Tokyo. I'm a 26yo from Sweden so this might differ, but the best part about Japan was not the sightseeing and the old culture, or the veryveryvery old temples in Kyoto. It was the crazy nightlife, themed restaurants, super hyper exploded shopping and the Japanese people that you meet that was awesome. I don't think I would recommend anyone to focus on anything else other than Tokyo. 

A few examples of my favorite experiences are Maid Café, Don Quijote, Electronics shopping in Akihabara and Nakano, Disney Land Tokyo, Ropongi by night, Crepes in Harajuku, Alcatraz ER themed restaurant, Cat café, and of course regular meat restaurants. Just google them and you'll see ;)

And another thing that's worth mentioning. Don't be afraid to make a fool out of yourself. The culture is very different, and they have very different ways, but that doesn't mean that they'll stab you with a sword as soon as you forget to take your shoes of, or on. They'll just smile or giggle and gently show you how they do it.

Everyone I met were very friendly and helpful, and there was never any problem, other than me not speaking Japanese, and them not speaking anything else. Be prepared to make gestures of a lifetime is all I'm saying ;)

Good luck. It's gonna be one of your greatest experiences! :)

CPU: i7-3960x @ 5GHz Motherboard: Rampage IV Gene ​RAM: 32GB HyperX Fury 1866 STORAGE:  WD Green 3TB + Crucial BX100 250GB + 16GB Primocache

GPU: 7990 + 7970 @ 1190c, 1515m Case: Phanteks Enthoo Mini XL PSU: AX1200i Monitor: Qnix QX2710 @ 110Hz

Cooling: D5 + X-RES 140CSQ, Supreme HF Cu, EK-FC7970/7990, 10xSP120 QE, RX240 + RX360

• 3 weeks later...

Hey!

I've been to Japan twice, and the one thing I would say is that Tokyo is HUGE! We went to Kyoto by Shinkansen the first time, but after that we decided to stick to one city. Now I've been there for a total of five weeks, and I've still not even scratched the surface of Tokyo. I'm a 26yo from Sweden so this might differ, but the best part about Japan was not the sightseeing and the old culture, or the veryveryvery old temples in Kyoto. It was the crazy nightlife, themed restaurants, super hyper exploded shopping and the Japanese people that you meet that was awesome. I don't think I would recommend anyone to focus on anything else other than Tokyo. 

A few examples of my favorite experiences are Maid Café, Don Quijote, Electronics shopping in Akihabara and Nakano, Disney Land Tokyo, Ropongi by night, Crepes in Harajuku, Alcatraz ER themed restaurant, Cat café, and of course regular meat restaurants. Just google them and you'll see ;)

And another thing that's worth mentioning. Don't be afraid to make a fool out of yourself. The culture is very different, and they have very different ways, but that doesn't mean that they'll stab you with a sword as soon as you forget to take your shoes of, or on. They'll just smile or giggle and gently show you how they do it.

Everyone I met were very friendly and helpful, and there was never any problem, other than me not speaking Japanese, and them not speaking anything else. Be prepared to make gestures of a lifetime is all I'm saying ;)

Good luck. It's gonna be one of your greatest experiences! :)

Thanks for the recommendations :) 

Haneda airport will be closer to Tokyo since it is connected via the monorail, be sure to buy your Rail Pass beforehand

Just think of the Japan rail system like the Tube.

Use Shinjuku station as you starting point and map you way around your destinations

But take note that there are other metro lines other than JR ones and they will need a seperate ticket or card to enter the trains

Asakusa has shopping belt just for selling cooking items from cooking utensils to plastic food displays

also the Asakusa is famous for the Sensō-ji temple

and if you go to the riverside, you can see the Tokyo Sky Tree and you can take a ferry ride down the river.

Ueno Park and Harajuku can be an interesting place to see ppl gathering during the weekends

Akiharabara will be Otakus heaven

Thanks for the feedback  :)