10GBase-T over SFP+

tommy-b-10

As the title suggests, is it possible to run 10GBase-T coming off of an sfp module?

I have a Intel SFP+ NIC in my PC and one in my server in another room, and I want to run the connection over the existing cat 6 cabling in the house. Is that possible with SFP?

There seems to be lots of rj45 1Gb/s transceivers but no 10GB.

If im completely wrong let me know :)

Cheers!

Intel i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H, Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB Windforce, 16GB G.Skill - NT 1600MHz, 250GB Samsung Evo SSD, 2x 1TB Seagate HDD, Corsair H100i CPU cooler w/Noctua Fans, 4x SP120, Fractal Design Define R4, LG W224T, Func MS-3, Apple Numeric Keyboard

-   BBR4 Hackintosh   - Server Rig

I looked into it for a bit. It seems that there is basically no solution to your problem. The only one I could come up with was this: http://www.perle.com/products/10gbase-t-standalone-media-converters.shtml The downside? It's 1500$ in the US so you can imagine what they will charge you in Australia.

Molex to SATA, lose all your data

I looked into it for a bit. It seems that there is basically no solution to your problem. The only one I could come up with was this: http://www.perle.com/products/10gbase-t-standalone-media-converters.shtml The downside? It's 1500$ in the US so you can imagine what they will charge you in Australia.

Cheers, yeah I saw that one.

My other idea was to run this cable http://www.4cabling.com.au/30m-lc-lc-om4-multimode-fibre-optic-patch-cords.html#.VOyB7y7pKac

through the wall along side the cat 6.

Its only $80 for 30m which is plenty long enough. Would that cable be compatible with this sfp card? http://ark.intel.com/products/50271/Intel-10-Gigabit-XF-SR-Server-Adapter

Intel i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H, Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB Windforce, 16GB G.Skill - NT 1600MHz, 250GB Samsung Evo SSD, 2x 1TB Seagate HDD, Corsair H100i CPU cooler w/Noctua Fans, 4x SP120, Fractal Design Define R4, LG W224T, Func MS-3, Apple Numeric Keyboard

As the title suggests, is it possible to run 10GBase-T coming off of an sfp module?

I have a Intel SFP+ NIC in my PC and one in my server in another room, and I want to run the connection over the existing cat 6 cabling in the house. Is that possible with SFP?

There seems to be lots of rj45 1Gb/s transceivers but no 10GB.

If im completely wrong let me know :)

Cheers!

Cat 7 RJ 45 10Gb/s over 100m.

Cat7 isn't even a real TIA standard, so I recommend going with Cat6a.

Generally: Singlemode for long distance (miles), and multimode for short distances like office buildings and smaller. Fiber is finicky (IMO) and singlemode is much worse than multimode.

As my original question asks, I already have sfp cards, and cat 6 cabling. I know cat 6 can do 10gb up to 55m in most cases

As my original question asks, I already have sfp cards, and cat 6 cabling. I know cat 6 can do 10gb up to 55m in most cases

Technically possible? Definitely.

Cost effective? Helllllllllllls no.

10Gb SFP+ Fibre Media Converters are well over $1000 USD each, and you'd need two.

You're better off either:

1. Buying the correct length of Fibre Optic cable needed, that has SPF+ connectors pre-terminated. Or

2. Sell both your SFP+ NIC's on eBay or Craigslist (or local equivalent, like kijiji) and buy a pair of 10GBase-T NIC's, and just use your Cat6 cable.

Either way, unless you want to do it simply because "you can", buying media converters is likely a very bad choice.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Technically possible? Definitely.

Cost effective? Helllllllllllls no.

10Gb SFP+ Fibre Media Converters are well over $1000 USD each, and you'd need two.

You're better off either:

1. Buying the correct length of Fibre Optic cable needed, that has SPF+ connectors pre-terminated. Or

2. Sell both your SFP+ NIC's on eBay or Craigslist (or local equivalent, like kijiji) and buy a pair of 10GBase-T NIC's, and just use your Cat6 cable.

Either way, unless you want to do it simply because "you can", buying media converters is likely a very bad choice.

Thanks! Yeah I agree the media converters are way out of my price range.

If I went the fibre cable route, I can get 30m pre terminated pretty cheap and could run this alongside the existing cat 6. would I need multi mode or single mode with my nic?

would I need multi mode or single mode with my nic?

What is the model number of your NIC, you linked a general page of the entire family of NICs. It should be something like X520-SR2. Since you linked the SR family, its likely going to be Multimode. SR = Short Range (Multi), LR = Long Range (Single)

What is the model number of your NIC, you linked a general page of the entire family of NICs. It should be something like X520-SR2. Since you linked the SR family, its likely going to be Multimode. SR = Short Range (Multi), LR = Long Range (Single)

Sorry, EXPX9501FXSRGP5 is the model number, so multimode is the way to go?

Sorry, EXPX9501FXSRGP5 is the model number, so multimode is the way to go?

Yes, you'd need Multimode Fibre terminated with SFP+ connectors.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Yes, you'd need Multimode Fibre terminated with SFP+ connectors.

Awesome. And these can be just directly attached to both pc's with no switch?

Awesome. And these can be just directly attached to both pc's with no switch?

Yep. I haven't personally configured Fibre NIC's, but I imagine you'll need to assign an IP Address to each NIC. You may want to search online to find some how-to guides to help you get started. You shouldn't need a Fibre Channel Switch.

Yep. I haven't personally configured Fibre NIC's, but I imagine you'll need to assign an IP Address to each NIC. You may want to search online to find some how-to guides to help you get started. You shouldn't need a Fibre Channel Switch.

Cool, thanks!

Also, would this be the correct cable?

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=111605525282

I think your best bet would be running a multimode fiber cable. You also need to see the type of connector your SFP+ modules have, is it SC or ST or LC, etc...

EDIT: I didn't see the model a few posts back, your card is the first model on the list, and you need the LC type connector.
(Or so it says in the datasheet here)

EXPX9501AFXSR (Single-Port SR)

EXPX9502AFXSR (Dual-Port SR)

EXPX9501AFXLR (Single-Port LR)

And yes, that's the cable you need, if both cards use the LC type connectors.

Intel X540T1 

10GbE - RJ45 

Can Anybody Link A Virtual Machine while I go download some RAM?

I think your best bet would be running a multimode fiber cable. You also need to see the type of connector your SFP+ modules have, is it SC or ST or LC, etc...

EDIT: I didn't see the model a few posts back, your card is the first model on the list, and you need the LC type connector.

(Or so it says in the datasheet here)

And yes, that's the cable you need, if both cards use the LC type connectors.

Alright, thanks!

Cool, thanks!

Also, would this be the correct cable?

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=111605525282

I wouldn't trust it, it gives literally zero specifications.

Fiber, like ethernet cable, is not all the same. There are different cables and connectors rated for different speeds, not all fiber is going to work at 10gbps. Look for a cable that actually tells you what its carrying capacity is, I believe that OM3 connectors are bare minimum for 10gbe.

This is everything you need: http://www.ebay.com/itm/30M-LC-LC-DUPLEX-10-GIGABIT-50-125-MULTIMODE-FIBER-OPTIC-CABLE-OM3-AQUA-10GB-/371068214594?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5665639d42

Also, there are two main sizes of Multimode, 50 and 62.5 micron core diameter. Running one span you shouldn't have any issues, but mismatching them can cause higher loss and after enough loss the link isn't going to work.

EDIT: Found some Cisco info saying that their MM SFP can use FDDI grade fiber (basic low end) for 26 meters and carry 10gbps. After that it jumps up to needing 2000mhz/km fiber with OM3 connectors for up to 300 meters.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-Cisco-SFP-10G-SR-Transceiver-Module-NCOM-/281372313953?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item418318c961

http://www.monoprice.com/Search?fq={!tag=dt}Price_i:[40%20TO%2058]&cp_id=10237&keyword=fiber

Just find the right connector and fiber that you need and youre set. I think the SR modules are multimode, and the dual LC connector.

Do you have a switch with sfp modules that you can plug those into?

Corsair C70 | Gigabyte Widnforce R9 280x | AMD FX8320 3.5ghz | Corsair 750m | Gigabyte 990FXA-ud3 | Mushkin 120gb SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1tb | Mushkin 16gb ddr3 1333mhz Ram

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-Cisco-SFP-10G-SR-Transceiver-Module-NCOM-/281372313953?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item418318c961

http://www.monoprice.com/Search?fq={!tag=dt}Price_i:[40%20TO%2058]&cp_id=10237&keyword=fiber

Just find the right connector and fiber that you need and youre set. I think the SR modules are multimode, and the dual LC connector.

Do you have a switch with sfp modules that you can plug those into?

He's going P2P if I can say it like that.

He's going P2P if I can say it like that.

Quite, the OP implies that he doesn't have a switch, Nor do I think one is necessary. He'll just have to manually assign IP Address info.