Is a used Canon 500d/600d/700d a good buy at "entry level" right now?

Go to solution Solved by pauloforte,

Thanks everyone for all the answers.

Go for a Nikon D3xxx series. They are good for entry level. Also very cheap. 

Well, I've always had Canons, so I was already quite inclined towards them. But it wasn't until a colleague of mine, who follows Photography classes, said that every single one of his Nikon-wielding classmates had the exact same problem with their DSLRs (something with the lubrication of the mirror and interference with the sensor) that I decided that there was only one choice for me: Canon. But thanks for the suggestion.

My first camera, and perennial backup, is a Canon 550D. They are still very powerful cameras especially with proper lenses. 

Thanks, this and a lot of other answers helped make my conclusion: a 100-series Canon DSLR is still worth buying nowadays.

But, talking with some people who use such cameras regularly and who made the same investment themselves made me realise that the question I should be asking is not "is such a camera worth it?" but "Am I willing to go all the way in order to get exactly the quality I'm expecting?" Because they made me realise that, it's mot so much about the camera as it is about the lens, about the time spent with the camera, the time spent to optimise every picture, etc...

So, I've decided that it's not the thing for me at this moment.

Technically speaking, they're are much, much better in several levels than a normal "consumer-grade" compact, even if that compact has some value to it. But all the investment that a DSLR implies, both in money and time, the learning curve, and the actual use I would give the camera just don't justify it for me.

I'll leave this here as reference for other people who, maybe, have the same question as me and are in the same situation.

Cheers!!

The title says all.

I am looking at some used DSLRs, Canon mostly. I decided, since I'm really not a photography buff - I just like to take some nice pics now and then - and I would like to have the camera mostly for a long vacation I'm planning in the summer, that I'm going with a €300 budget.

I have a compact camera from Canon (a Powershot 270 hs) and I don't really know to what extent a DSLR (or, those particular DSLRs) would be better than that. Let's assume that I would be using either the standard lens or a 135 or 200 mm lens.

So my questions are:

Is a starter DSLR worth it in relation to that compact camera?

And is a 500d, a 600d or even a 700d worth to buy at this moment?

What other Canon DSLR is a good buy right now for that budget or a bit higher?

Thanks a lot!!

Paulo

if ur not really into pro photagraphy

just get a good APS based camera

like the sony NEX 3N

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Yes for that budget, I still use a canon 600D daily that I bought new last year.

I am, but I mean, I don't go out in the woods specifically for it, nor do I even make it a hobby. I just want my pictures to have a very good quality in the most of conditions. EDIT: and for 300 eurs I'm under the opinion that I'm getting more than my money's worth...

Get Canon Powershot G1x Mark II. -snip-

-snip-

like the sony NEX 3N

Well, I have a compact camera so I don't see the point to get something that is in between a compact and a DSLR only to then buy something else in the near future. Are you saying a DSLR is just not worth it in comparison to the powershot 270hs that I already have?

I am, but I mean, I don't go out in the woods specifically for it, nor do I even make it a hobby. I just want my pictures to have a very good quality in the most of conditions. EDIT: and for 300 eurs I'm under the opinion that I'm getting more than my money's worth...

Well, I have a compact camera so I don't see the point to get something that is in between a compact and a DSLR only to then buy something else in the near future. Are you saying a DSLR is just not worth it in comparison to the powershot 270hs that I already have?

well according to the specs the powershot 270hs is only a 1/2.3 sesor

while the 3N is an APS-C sized sensor  which is on most DLRS

camera-sensor-size-12.jpg

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

If you're going to buy a semi-pro then go ahead. Entry-level DSLR body+normal kit. I definitely recommend you to get sony/canon compact flagship. Especially taking photo with ladies. It sure comes out good, ;)  :lol:

well according to the specs the powershot 270hs is only a 1/2.3 sesor

while the 3N is an APS-C sized sensor  which is on most DLRS

camera-sensor-size-12.jpg

Thanks for the answers, everyone!

@qwertywarrior, that answer one of my questions: a higher-end camera is indeed a huge improvement in terms of image quality, at least. Even nowadays with good compacts on the market.

But, between a DLSR and something like that 3N or the G1x, I'm still leaning towards a DSLR. Maybe it's irrational, but I feel that a DSLR offers more versatility, pratically-speaking. They look and feel sturdy and robust, while those "hybrids" always gave me the feeling that they're stretching themselves somewhat, both physically as in terms of specs... That they're biting more than their tiny carcasses can chew and that that translates into fragility. But yeah, who knows, maybe those tiny carcasses are the future...

If you're going to buy a semi-pro then go ahead. Entry-level DSLR body+normal kit. I definitely recommend you to get sony/canon compact flagship. Especially taking photo with ladies. It sure comes out good, ;)  :lol:

Great, I'll definitely go for that! Maybe we can exchange shots, one day... :D

But ok, now seriously, one question is answered, thank you for that. Now the others:

Is there an abysmal difference between a 500D and a 600D? Are they still worth a buy, specially the 500D?

Is there another DSLR that you would say is a bargain to get right now in the same range?

Cheers

Edited by pauloforte

Thanks for the answers, everyone!

@qwertywarrior, that answer one of my questions: a higher-end camera is indeed a huge improvement in terms of image quality, at least. Even nowadays with good compacts on the market.

But, between a DLSR and something like that 3N or the G1x, I'm still leaning towards a DSLR. Maybe it's irrational, but I feel that a DSLR offers more versatility, pratically-speaking. They look and feel sturdy and robust, while those "hybrids" always gave me the feeling that they're stretching themselves somewhat, both physically as in terms of specs... That they're biting more than their tiny carcasses can chew and that that translates into fragility. But yeah, who knows, maybe those tiny carcasses are the future...

Great, I'll definitely go for that! Maybe we can exchange shots, one day... :D

But ok, now seriously, one question is answered, thank you for that. Now the others:

Is there an abysmal difference between a 500D and a 600D? Are they still worth a buy, specially the 500D?

Is there another DSLR that you would say is a bargain to get right now in the same range?

Cheers

My country doesn't sell 500d/600d anymore. 300 euro maybe compact?

My country doesn't sell 500d/600d anymore. 300 euro maybe compact?

Keep in mind that I'm looking at used cameras in 2nd-hand websites.

Keep in mind that I'm looking at used cameras in 2nd-hand websites.

Show your options.

Make sure that the shutter count isn't that high.

The shutter will only last for some ten thousand shots.

like the sony NEX 3N

I've never owned a NEX 3, but if the nex 5 is anything to go by, the high iso performance on those things are bloody awful. 

If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life thinking it's stupid.  - Albert Einstein

i have a t5i/700d and i think it is a great entry level camera. You could also tryu and fing the 650d which is nearly the same as the 700d but could be cheaper. 

Here is an example of the quality i get from mine with the 18-55 kit lens.

YbnZzsP.jpg

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

I've never owned a NEX 3, but if the nex 5 is anything to go by, the high iso performance on those things are bloody awful. 

the 3n uses a newer sensor than the 5 or 3

ts pretty good imo

the 3n uses a newer sensor than the 5 or 3

ts pretty good imo

I've had the NEX-5T, and the NEX-6, 

the high iso performance was terrible compared to the Nikon D7100 and D5300, as well as the Canon EOS 600D and 100D.

If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life thinking it's stupid.  - Albert Einstein

Make sure that the shutter count isn't that high.

The shutter will only last for some ten thousand shots.

10k shots? That's nothing. Most modern Rebels/xxxD are rated at 100k, professional cameras will do 300k+.

10k shots? That's nothing. Most modern Rebels/xxxD are rated at 100k, professional cameras will do 300k+.

No some ten thousands.

Oh and I would really like to see an official canon statement for the xxxD series' 100k rating. :D   

No some ten thousands.

Oh and I would really like to see an official canon statement for the xxxD series' 100k rating. :D   

Nothing more official than this, unfortunately. My Canon 450D did 25k shots before i sold it, 10k shots can be done in just one year.

Canon USA recently provided me with the shutter life rating figures for the Rebel T1i, XSi and XS bodies (below). These were previously not disclosed by Canon - The 50D-matching values surprised me. While some of us have no trouble shooting 100,000 frames in a year, this number of frames would represent multiple lifetimes for others.

UztG.png

Source: http://photocamel.com/forum/canon/79862-canon-discloses-camera-shutter-life-expectancy.html

If I'm honest, if you're not a photography buff but you'd still like to upgrade.

Sony RX100. Pretty much the best travel camera for those looking to take the occasional but still excellent shot.

My PC: Intel Core i3-3220 | Alpenföhn Civetta | XFX HD 7770 1GB | ASRock B75-Pro3-M | Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB | beQuiet PurePower L8 430W | Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB | Kingston V200+ 60GB | NZXT Vulcan | Soundblaster Play Replaced by Notebook + eGPU

My Notebook:   Apple MacBook Pro Retina 13-inch, Late 2013; Core i5 4258U @2.4-2.9 Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB PCIe SSD, Iris Graphics 5100 + GTX 960 eGPU

My Phone: OnePlus One with CM12      Camera: Nikon D3200 + 50mm f/1.8G + Kit lenses

My first camera, and perennial backup, is a Canon 550D. They are still very powerful cameras especially with proper lenses. 

Thanks everyone for all the answers.

Well, I've always had Canons, so I was already quite inclined towards them. But it wasn't until a colleague of mine, who follows Photography classes, said that every single one of his Nikon-wielding classmates had the exact same problem with their DSLRs (something with the lubrication of the mirror and interference with the sensor) that I decided that there was only one choice for me: Canon. But thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks, this and a lot of other answers helped make my conclusion: a 100-series Canon DSLR is still worth buying nowadays.

But, talking with some people who use such cameras regularly and who made the same investment themselves made me realise that the question I should be asking is not "is such a camera worth it?" but "Am I willing to go all the way in order to get exactly the quality I'm expecting?" Because they made me realise that, it's mot so much about the camera as it is about the lens, about the time spent with the camera, the time spent to optimise every picture, etc...

So, I've decided that it's not the thing for me at this moment.

Technically speaking, they're are much, much better in several levels than a normal "consumer-grade" compact, even if that compact has some value to it. But all the investment that a DSLR implies, both in money and time, the learning curve, and the actual use I would give the camera just don't justify it for me.

I'll leave this here as reference for other people who, maybe, have the same question as me and are in the same situation.

Cheers!!