my new PC $2400 AUD

Hi guys, lets see if you guys can spot any incompatibilities in this build. 

I've have some experience but just want to check with some friends before I confirm the order. 

Case: Fractal Define R5 Titanium         ($154)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI   ($195)

CPU: i7 4790S                                       ($436)

RAM: G.Skill 2400 16gb Ripjaws X        ($192)

GPU: Strix gtx 970                                 ($519)

PSU: Seasonic Platinum fanless 460W  ($219)

CPU cooler: Noctua U14S                      ($102)

Case Fan: Noctua NF-A14                       ($32)

SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB            ($168)

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB                ($132)

Card Reader: Astrotek AT-V-113             ($11)

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate ($219)

Total: $2,379

I'm aiming for a little bit of expanding room, hence a fully featured z97 mobo.

uhh, its more productivity and *going to be leaving this on overnight downloading things* kind of machine, so I really wanted power efficiency, hence strix gpu and platinum power supply. I do not plan on SLI 970's so that psu seems like enough, maybe a tv tuner pci card in the future and some more hdds. 

Thank you for reading.

I appreciate any feedback :)

Stupid to get a z97 board and 4790S and even if you don't overclock that PSU is very much on the low side.

Stupid to get a z97 board and 4790S

Right, however, z97 generally has more features like m.2 or sata express though. which is why I skipped looking at H97 or other motherboards. Plus this motherboard has a good audio chip. Should I look into H97 motherboards? theres just so much variety I needed a starting point to narrow down a motherboard.

Right, however, z97 generally has more features like m.2 or sata express though. which is why I skipped looking at H97 or other motherboards. Plus this motherboard has a good audio chip. Should I look into H97 motherboards? theres just so much variety I needed a starting point to narrow down a motherboard.

You need to get a higher watt PSU to be on the safe side because 460w is rather low. Go with something like 650w 

You need to get a higher watt PSU to be on the safe side because 460w is rather low. Go with something like 650w 

You totally have no idea on what are you talking about. 430w can even supply 2-way 980, let alone single (source: linus' video).

At any rate, here's a hint for OP: use partpicker, and change the location to Australia. Also, as asked, what will you use your PC for?

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

PCPartPicker part list: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/crC24D

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($459.00 @ CPL Online) 

CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE 78.1 CFM CPU Cooler  ($99.00 @ PCCaseGear) 

Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($189.00 @ CPL Online) 

Memory: Kingston Fury White Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($189.00 @ CPL Online) 

Storage: A-Data Premier Pro SP900 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($139.00 @ CPL Online) 

Storage: Western Digital Red 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($172.00 @ IJK) 

Video Card: Gainward GeForce GTX 980 4GB Phantom Video Card  ($709.00 @ CPL Online) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($150.00 @ Scorptec) 

Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($145.00 @ CPL Online) 

Other: Astrotek AT-V-113 ($11.00)

Total: $2262.00

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-24 23:46 EST+1100

This is before you take into account the prices at MSY. Leaves you with $138 to find a copy of Windows 7 which should be MORE than enough. If you still have leftover cash, you could buy an additional case fan or upgrade the Phanteks cooler to an AIO liquid cooler.

Asus MAXIMUS VII Gene 2 x 8GB G.Skill 16GB 1600 Mhz Intel 4670k @ 4.3 Ghz Corsair H100i w/ stock fans EVGA GTX 770 SC Intel 750 Series SSD 240GB, Samsung 840 SSD 240GB WD Caviar Green 2TB Seasonic X-650 V3 2 x 140 mm Noctua A14 PPC, 120mm LED Corsair AF120

You totally have no idea on what are you talking about. 430w can even supply 2-way 980, let alone single (source: linus' video).

At any rate, here's a hint for OP: use partpicker, and change the location to Australia. Also, as asked, what will you use your PC for?

I have no idea what I'm talking about? Please go do some research you ignorant ass. A 970 pulls about 145w while the 4790s pulls about 120w, now you have 265w not including everything else, so lets round that up to 350w not only is it already at 80% load but with a z97 mobo I assume he wants to overclock and you always want to keep a psu at 50%-80% load. Pull your head out of your ass.

I have no idea what I'm talking about? Please go do some research you ignorant ass. A 970 pulls about 145w while the 4790s pulls about 120w, now you have 265w not including everything else, so lets round that up to 350w not only is it already at 80% load but with a z97 mobo I assume he wants to overclock and you always want to keep a psu at 50%-80% load. Pull your head out of your ass.

Wrong. A 970 has a Thermal Design Power of 145w; it doesn't mean it will actually pull that much. Same for the CPU.

As stated, linus' actual tests (and not just a random assumption, made by adding up some numbers) showed that OC SLI 980 on a OC 5930k only pulled 370w from the wall. Factor in PSU efficiency, and we are looking at around 335w of REAL wattage. A 430w PSU would be able to output that number, no problem.

It's ok to not know everything, we are all learning something new everyday.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Wrong. A 970 has a Thermal Design Power of 145w; it doesn't mean it will actually pull that much. Same for the CPU.

As stated, linus' actual tests (and not just a random assumption, made by adding up some numbers) showed that OC SLI 980 on a OC 5930k only pulled 370w from the wall. Factor in PSU efficiency, and we are looking at around 335w of REAL wattage. A 430w PSU would be able to output that number, no problem.

It's ok to not know everything, we are all learning something new everyday.

You're an idiot. Not only are you making up numbers but you have no idea what you are talking about. A 970 strix pulls 141w at 80% load. But you know what, that's okay i'm done arguing with people that don't have a high enough IQ to understand what is going on.

You're an idiot. Not only are you making up numbers but you have no idea what you are talking about. A 970 strix pulls 141w at 80% load. But you know what, that's okay i'm done arguing with people that don't have a high enough IQ to understand what is going on.

Sigh... it seems you won't believe me, unless I state my sources.... again.

Watch. 4:35. 2x Gtx 980, OC 5930k, 370w FROM THE WALL. PSU efficiency is around 90% (it's actually even lower, but that would help me even further).

Wall_Wattage = Real_Wattage / Efficiency. Using basic math, 370*0,9 = 333w of REAL wattage. Happy now? I'm not the one making up numbers. YOU are.

Also, as asked, what will you use your PC for?

I will be multitasking a lot. converting/compressing videos. playing MMO's, emulating consoles, and most importantly, leaving this computer on almost 24/7 downloading things.

Sigh... it seems you won't believe me, unless I state my sources.... again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=UnS0xWtoRzk#t=275

Watch. 4:35. 2x Gtx 980, OC 5930k, 370w FROM THE WALL. PSU efficiency is around 90% (it's actually even lower, but that would help me even further).

Wall_Wattage = Real_Wattage / Efficiency. Using basic math, 370*0,9 = 333w of REAL wattage. Happy now? I'm not the one making up numbers. YOU are.

awesome ^_^ thank you brother. I knew 460w would be enough, my other pc with an i5 and 7970 draws only 320W overclocked. This new pc is more power efficient so it should never go over 320W.

A 970 pulls about 145w while the 4790s pulls about 120w, now you have 265w not including everything else, so lets round that up to 350w not only is it already at 80% load but with a z97 mobo I assume he wants to overclock and you always want to keep a psu at 50%-80% load. Pull your head out of your ass.

the z97 motherboard is for other features, not overclocking. 4790S is power efficient i7. As opposed to a 4790 or a 4790K. 

Basically, no overclocking for me, it's a productivity and multitasking machine. 

Does anyone know if I can upgrade this to 32GB ram in the future?  I presume I just buy another 2 of the exact same ram sticks and install them?

Thanks for the help everyone.