Usefull guides to Linux (Mint)?

Hello,

I've setup a dual boot system, messed up, wasn't able to boot into Windows 8, and ended up having to install boot-repair to fix the issue.

I tried to install Nvidia drivers, kept giving me error messages and asking to run as root. Couldn't get it to work.

Tried to download Adobe flash so I could at-least watch a tutorial (on Youtube) on how to install Nvidia's drivers. Couldn't get that to work.

So I gave up.

Now that I'm back using windows, I've decided to do this properly. What are some decent guides for Linux Mint? I'm not a complete a moron when it comes to computers, I just don't have a remote understanding of Linux Mint.

Preferably looking for something that will help me get started, while also giving me a helpful understanding of the way I should go about solving problems.

Thanks in advance. I know, pretty nooby question :rolleyes: .

"Normandy" i7 4790K - GTX 970 - Phantom 410 (Gun metal) - Z97 Extreme4 (asrock) - 128GB Crucial SSD - 1TB WD HDD - H60 Refurb. - 7 case fans | G710+ Keyboard, G230 Headset, Acer GN246HL Monitor.

Quick thoughts on system: I7 is extremely quick and I'm glad I spent the extra for hyper-threading. I regret my decision to get the GTX 970, it has horrible coil whine. There isn't any excuse for this terrible whine I and others are having. I HIGHLY recommend a 144hz monitor. Future Improvements/upgrades: Rubber fan mounts, basic speakers, more ram (for a total of 16gb), replace GPU.

144hz is love. 144hz is life. I like to submit unfinished posts then do about 20 edits. I like the Night Theme too.

Ummm... I'm not an expert on Linux, but I've always had a similar interest and have been put off for similar reasons. and all I can say really is

Books. There are guides on how to do stuff on the internet and some of them are okay, but if you really want to learn Linux, go to a bookstore.

There are literally gigabytes and gigabytes' worth of publications about how to use Linux.

Most of using Linux is gonna be something you need to do on your own in your own time, there's no class in which you can actually effectively learn it.

Kudos to you for wanting to check it out though. Linux is the future, no two ways about it.

Hello,

I've setup a dual boot system, messed up, wasn't able to boot into Windows 8, and ended up having to install boot-repair to fix the issue.

I tried to install Nvidia drivers, kept giving me error messages and asking to run as root. Couldn't get it to work.

Tried to download Adobe flash so I could at-least watch a tutorial (on Youtube) on how to install Nvidia's drivers. Couldn't get that to work.

So I gave up.

Now that I'm back using windows, I've decided to do this properly. What are some decent guides for Linux Mint? I'm not a complete a moron when it comes to computers, I just don't have a remote understanding of Linux Mint.

Preferably looking for something that will help me get started, while also giving me a helpful understanding of the way I should go about solving problems.

Thanks in advance. I know, pretty nooby question :rolleyes: .

Nvidia drivers are a hassle in general on Linux, and lately I've heard a lot of complaints about drivers on Ubuntu and it's derivates.

May I recommend Arch Linux?

Not as simple to set up as Ubuntu / Mint / ... but very easy installation for anything, 0 bloatware and super fucking awesome in general :D

and replace the part where he installs Syslinux with:  https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB

aaaaand:

:D

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

Out of curiosity and I know this may sound assinine but did you actually run it as root when asked?

Also I have to give a pitch towards @Scia, looking at the documentation for mint makes me realize how nice it is for Arch. Not that I am saying you should go with it. Granted that being said it can help to look at documentation for different versions of linux as to how to fix certain problems.

Also how comfortable are you with command line in general? Just so I know a baseline of your skills?

The award fits...