Asus Board is A Jerk; BIOS Shows DIMM Slots Populated (16GB) But Only Registers 8GB

illitero

As stated I am having some friggin' nasty issues concerning BIOS registering all of the installed ram I have. Board is an Asus P8H77-M Pro/CG8270 (OEM) that I picked up off of craigslist as a result of the same issue in an Asus P8Z77-V LX after installing a shiny, new replacement i5 3470 from Intel. After initial installation into the P8H77, it ran and operated fine, showing all 16GB of ram. Something compelled me to reset BIOS to "optimized defaults", and that's when all hell broke loose:

BIOS acts like everything is fine but only registers 8gb of the 16gb installed (4x4gb matched Corsair Vengeance Pro). The insane part is that when you go into menu to see what's what in the DIMM slots, it shows everything perfectly. I've tried all kinds of variations of different sticks populating different slots, I even tried some other sticks from an extra kit. Bottom line is that it seems to refuse to register more than two sticks at a time, regardless of the slots used. Since the board I'm using now is an OEM, I don't have jack in the options department for BIOS, especially when it comes to trying to play around with memory settings (timing, voltage, etc.) and I don't have access to my original P8Z77 after giving it away as bad (seems like a terrible move on my part at this point...)

Only conclusion I can come up with is that it's something with the processor, as I've noticed onboard video didn't work in both boards. But it doesn't make sense after I received a new, sealed retail package from Intel on a chip that had an issue with cache operation. Regardless, congratulations on being just as confused as I and three other friends are on the matter. Any opinions on this are very welcome.

Yes, I've reset CMOS, you buzzard...

post-92394-0-59128200-1424647860_thumb.j

Unrelated but I like how your board's build date was Christmas 2012.

Haha, I had to stop myself from clicking "mark solved" on your post. Like, "that's it, problem solved: Built on Christmas!"

maybe check for bios updates?
my old pc had a cheap Jetway motherboard that didnt want to support the ram and the cpu .... even tho they where compatible.... updated the bios everything worked fine

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

I like your avatar, it matches your frustration.

Have you tried updating the bios?

Is memory remap enabled?

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

That sucks.

Maybe tinker around in the BIOS?

Indeed it does suck, thank you. Myself and three others have tinkered around in the incredibly limited BIOS quite a bit to no avail. :'(

maybe check for bios updates?

my old pc had a cheap Jetway motherboard that didnt want to support the ram and the cpu .... even tho they where compatible.... updated the bios everything worked fine

There was one update I was able to install that at least allowed for Boot options, but nothing else. I wish so much it would just decide to start working like it did.

I like your avatar, it matches your frustration.

Have you tried updating the bios?

Is memory remap enabled?

It's my google+ image, so I like it matching in situations like this. Works wonders in Hangouts haha.

BIOS updated.

Memory remap is enabled currently; I've tinkered with every setting that seemed even remotely relevant.

I've pulled half the modules and installed windows 7 with no drama; seems stable. Only issue is that since this is an OEM board, only OEM drivers work on it. But since I have other hardware that doesn't match the pre-set profile, I'm triggering a bevy of "this system is incompatible you big dingus, knock it off already" messages when I attempt to install drivers for the last few things left over (sm bus, usb 3.0, blah blah). So I thought, "hey, windows 8 has newer drivers by default, so I'll just go for that!" So I attempt to install windows 8 off of disc media and it takes a while to pop up. On top of that, it drops this really awesome and TOTALLY not enraging message stating "media driver is missing, please guess what driver it is and install it". Another odd thing is that it's showing two more drives than what are connected in the system. This dumb mystery just keeps getting more and more...dumber.

post-92394-0-47960900-1424679419_thumb.j

post-92394-0-35865600-1424679836_thumb.j

I HAVE THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM!! I have the P8H77-M-PRO from Asus. I'm thinking it's the board's problem 

-I don't have problems with on-board video

drive x is winpe. Its only suppose to be accessible when doing a repairs from the repair consile command prompt.

Take a pic of your board and with the model number.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

drive x is winpe. Its only suppose to be accessible when doing a repairs from the repair consile command prompt.

Take a pic of your board and with the model number.

Are you wanting an image of the board itself, or just the model number? Model number of the board just shows P8H77-M Pro/CG8270, I think. I've been running the system for the last week with two dimms in (2x4gb) and haven't run into any stability errors.

• 7 months later...