Overclocking your monitor refresh rate - AMD GPU's

bartekxx12

Since this thread is about monitor OC i'm gonna ask my question here (even though i have a GTX970).

I currently own a BenQ XL2420T that's rated to run 120hz @ stock, it's connected through Dual Link DVI, would you guys think i would be able to take it up to 144hz?

#Dope :) Thanks alot!

My Setups:

• CASE: » CoolerMaster C700M » •  MB:     » ASUS ROG RAMPAGE VI EXTREME »»» LGA 2066 •  CPU:    » Intel i9-9980XE Extreme Edition - 18-Core @ 3.00Ghz •  GPU:   » Inno3D GeForce RTX 3090 - 24GB  GDDR6X •  RAM» Corsair Dominator Platinum - 64GB DDR4 3200Mhz

• CASE: » DeepCool Matrexx 4F » •  MB:     » MSi GodLike Gaming X99 »»» LGA 2011-v3 •  CPU:    » Intel i7-6950x Extreme Edition - 10-Core @ 3.00Ghz •  GPU:   » MSi GeForce GTX 1070 Ti GAMING  - 8GB  GDDR5 •  RAM» Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro - 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz

• CASE: » CoolerMaster CMP 320L » •  MB:     » Atermiter X99 »»» LGA 2011-v3 •  CPU:    » Intel i7-6900K - 8-Core @ 3.20Ghz •  GPU:   » Sapphire HD 5850 Toxic Edition - 2GB  GDDR5 •  RAM» G.Skill TridentZ - 16GB DDR4 3600Mhz

Since this thread is about monitor OC i'm gonna ask my question here (even though i have a GTX970).

I currently own a BenQ XL2420T that's rated to run 120hz @ stock, it's connected through Dual Link DVI, would you guys think i would be able to take it up to 144hz?

Just try it!

System: CPU - I5-6500 Motherboard - Asus B150M-A RAM - Crucial ballistix sport 2x4GB DDR4 @2400MHz GPU - RX 480 PSU - Seasonic S12II 520W Case - Aerocool Aero-800 HDD - Seagate 1TB SSD - PNY CS1311 120GB Monitor - AOC G2260VWQ6

Overclocked my monitor LG W2261V from 60 to 65. Nothing special. But there comes my TV - Philips 40PUS6809/12 and hey presto went from 60 to 100hz for 1080p mode in few clicks. Gotta love cheap stuff.

People quoting posts with all the pictures should get banned from internet!

R5 1600 3.9GHz | ASUS STRIX B350-F | Corsair LPX  32GB RAM | KFA2 GTX 1080Ti W/C | Corsair Force 480GB NVMe  | Seagate 1TB 2.5" | beQuiet Pure Power 10 700W | Phanteks Enthoo Pro M | Phanteks Glacier RGB W/C | LG 29UM68 | Steelseries Apex M750 | Steelseries Rival 310 | Steelseries QcK Limited | Steelseries Arctis 5 | Creative X-Fi 5.1 PRO |  W10 64-bit |

Does anyone have any experience overclocking your monitor with a nvidia gpu? I'd like to try it.  

EDIT: Never mind worked it out. :)

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

• 2 weeks later...

My ASUS IPS monitor seems to be working @ 74 max.

At testufo.com it sometimes states potentional stutter detected, should I worry about this?

Edit: Hmm, it also does this at stock speed

There isn't a certain level of knowledge I measure from its participant. I respond accordingly.

If in the thread, the conversation happens with people that are more knowledgeable, I don't explain things that are obvious to them, unless asked.

I normally ignore rude posts, but I'll do an exception.

Nvidia

Open The Nvidia control panel (right-click on the desktop, and select: Nvidia Control Panel). On the left side column, select Change Resolution, then click on the Custom button, then click on Create Custom Resolution. From there you can enter a new resolution. Note that you can't edit a custom resolution if it currently selected. So if you want to edit your custom resolution later, you need to pick a different resolution, and now you can edit the custom resolution. TO edit a resolution, click on the pen icon that will be displayed in the list of resolution on the Nvidia Control Panel.

AMD

I don't have an AMD GPU in hand, but the following should do the trick:

As for AMD: http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/GPU-10-SupportedResolutionsUnavailableforMonitor.aspx

Follow what is after the first picture.

Intel

The method varies based on the Intel Control Panel, which differs between graphics solution.

This Intel help documentation page, explain how to create a custom resolution based on the Control Panel look:

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-029478.htm

Thanks dude!! Since CRU doesn't seem to work anymore under windows 10 this is a great and easy solution (doesn't even require a resart  :D ). I allready knew that you can create custom resolutions for DSR in the Nvidia Control panel but not that also the refresh rate is adjustable. Also with CRU the highest OC I could get (under win 8.1) was from 60 to 65 Hz. With the control panel method even 75 Hz were no problem.

How does this work w/ a Nvidia GPU?

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

How does this work w/ a Nvidia GPU?

tek syndicate has a video on it, wendell talks about it so it might get suuuuuuuper technical

tek syndicate has a video on it, wendell talks about it so it might get suuuuuuuper technical

Could,you possibly link it? Thanks :D

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe

UPDATE: turns out my monitor wasnt actually running at its complete resolution at 70 Hz. I noticed a bit of increased "fuzziness" to the picture and even though windows said it was running at full res, the monitor settings didnt. moving up from 60 to 70Hz my monitor was automatically scaling down the image to 1024 x 768. i found this strange, and im not sure why it did this instead of just displaying "signal out of range" but lets just say im back at 60 Hz now lol.

my junk monitor did this at 100hz

My monitor won't even show the different speed HZ after restarting it ect.

My monitor won't even show the different speed HZ after restarting it ect.

head over to the tek syndicate forums and there are a lot of guys that can help you with the oc part just make sure that when you overclock a monitor you can damage it so try to make sure you are following the steps right otherwise just don't do it 

head over to the tek syndicate forums and there are a lot of guys that can help you with the oc part just make sure that when you overclock a monitor you can damage it so try to make sure you are following the steps right otherwise just don't do it

NVidia control panel let me. It has a built in test thing. Both my panels seem to be running 75Hz fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I found a program that allows you to overclock your monitor refresh rate a few weeks ago and after weeks of successfully running a 60Hz monitor @ 75Hz I have decided to make a guide on how to do this. 

I heard that Nvidia has this function built into their drivers and I have not tested this on integrated Intel GPU's so I can only promise that this works on AMD Cards

Before we start the guide you will need to download the program, it is called CRU or Custom Resolution Utility.

I have uploaded the program to my Google Drive link here - https://docs.google.com/file/d/0ByvG-UAyk_VzRXBKQ05lN2t6WkU/edit?usp=sharing

Note - After completing this guide the program no longer needs to be run and after checking running processes I found that it is infact not running. However I am unsure if it can be deleted without putting your refresh rate back to stock which is why I kept it in my main C: drive directory. 

This process will take about 10 minutes, as far as I know it is not dangerous and I have tested it on 4 different monitors without any problems, my 2 main monitors have been running successfully overclocked for many weeks with 0 issues... however if anything goes wrong, I am not responsible :P

Step 1 -  Run the program and delete all monitors in the drop down list that don't have "(active)" in their name. When I first started the program I had many duplicates of a single monitor. You should be left with something like this - 

hy0e.png
(Please note that I am running a dual monitor setup which is why 2 monitors on the list say "(active)". 

Step 2 -  Click "Add..." below the list of "Detailed Resolutions". A window will open. Change the "Timing" to "Automatic - LCD standard".  In the top 2 boxes enter your monitor's resolution, in my case this is 1680 x 1060. 

This is where we get to increasing the refresh rate. In the bottom box - "Refresh rate:" Enter a Refresh rate that is higher than your stock. In my tests a good first increase is 10Hz which took me to 70Hz from 60Hz. 

zan.png

Step 3 - After adding your first custom refresh rate, repeat the process this time going up in steps of 5Hz. You can have a total of 4 Custom settings which took me up to 80Hz

ez1r.png

You now how to restart your computer. Click "OK" to close the program first and then restart. 

Step 4 - After restarting your computer Right Click on your desktop and go to "Screen Resolution" 

9iay.png

Step 5 - Now go to "Advanced settings" (select the monitor you are editing first if you have multiple monitors), followed by the "Monitor" tab. Now when you go to the drop down list of available refresh rates you should see all the ones you have added. This is where you find what your monitor is capable of. 

f8c4.png

Increase the refresh rate step by step hitting apply each time. If the increase is successful, everything on your monitor should look as normal (Except you are now running at a higher refresh rate). Increase the refresh rate until after clicking "Apply" your monitor no longer displays anything on the screen, don't panic when this happens, Windows will automatically Revert back to your previous setting in 15 seconds. What might also happen is the image on your monitor might not look right and everything on your screen might become blurred. In this case also wait 15 seconds until Windows reverts back to the previous refresh rate. 

In my case 75Hz was successful but after applying 80Hz nothing showed up on my monitor until after 15 seconds it went back to 75Hz. This means that 75Hz is the highest my monitor can go.

Step 6 - 

Once you find your monitors limit, open up the Custom Resolution Utility again and delete all the Detailed Resolutions you have created except for the highest one that works correctly for you.

4w0j.png

You can then click OK and close all the Windows you have opened. As you do so and drag some windows you should notice that everything is smoother because you have now overclocked your monitor :)

I'm using this program almost 2 years CRU on a monitor Samsung s23b550 graphic card Sapphire R9 270x toxic to 75 Hz, my question is will this damage the monitor and video card with the time?

• 3 weeks later...

Can someone help me with getting this to work with eyefinity on windows 10, I have dual r9 290s, 2 are hooked up via dual link DVI and one via HDMI they are all the same monitor.

The CRU whos only 1 monitor active which I guess is normal because they are all the same, but I don't have the same settings available when I right click the desktop in windows 10, I tried using device manager to go into the monitor settings and seeing if the refresh rate changes appears there, but it only shows a single "Generic PnP Monitor" not the BenQ monitors I have hooked up (3).

• 1 month later...

Guys this doesn't require a software at all, not for NVIDIA atleast just go to your NVIDIA control panel...

Guys this doesn't require a software at all, not for NVIDIA atleast just go to your NVIDIA control panel...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2yiOiHksQw

which is why the guide says AMD GPUs?

• 3 weeks later...

What does it mean when you don't get those new refresh rates after rebooting? 

What does it mean when you don't get those new refresh rates after rebooting? 

you might be hitting the max refresh rate you can do then from the gpu or there is an error, do you get any lag or glitches?

my monitor runs at 77hz. its the limit, it crashes if i try to push it more

We've now got three different subjects going on, an Asian fox and motorbike fetish, two guys talking about Norway invasions and then some other people talking about body building... This thread is turning into a free for all fetish infested Norwegian circle jerk.

my monitor runs at 77hz. its the limit, it crashes if i try to push it more

I would recommend then dialing it a little back to 75hz since it might be at the point where it starts to damage the panel and cause dead pixels