PSU's & finding the right one

So I been thinking about getting a new psu, what do you guys think of the newton 1000, I have a design r4 case so it would fit in. Is there other power supplies that would be better? I'm running an i7 4790k with 4 hdd and want to also run two ssds. Also right now I run one 970 but looking to sli soon. 

• 2 weeks later...

Do you think a corsair rm850 will have enough cables to power a asus x99 s mother board with a strix gtx 980 card?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, I'm looking for a new power supply for my PC. I'm considering the Corsair RM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply any opinions? PC specs are on my profile page.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=363 - as you can see it's not the best PSU for the price. If you want a fully modular PSU (assuming that's why you're upgrading?) look into the EVGA SuperNOVA GS

Total: £57.35
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-06 20:53 BST+0100

Should work great if you plan to upgrade to a single more powerful card later on.

Thanks for the fast reply, Im actually replacing a faulty PSU, and based on the wattage calculator in the first post in this section I need at least a 650W.

Thanks for the fast reply, Im actually replacing a faulty PSU, and based on the wattage calculator in the first post in this section I need at least a 650W.

Those tend to greatly over estimate the actual wattage needed. Search google images for " [your graphics card here] power consumption" and you should find test systems that are either similar or more powerful to yours, along with benchmarks for idle and load use. Looking at the benchmarks, most of their systems push around ~300W under load, so a 550W PSU will leave you with plenty of headroom. Maxwell cards are highly efficient.

Am I good with my current PSU? I got a GPU and I don't know if I need to upgrade my PSU.

My PC specs:

Corsair CX 430 watt PSU

MSI geforce gtx 960 2gb

Msi h81m e34 motherboard

Intel Pentium g3258 CPU

1TB hard drive

• 3 weeks later...

they ran out of precious metal probably...

Iridium, Rhodium, etc. No one would know what they meant though.

My Rig:

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @4.3 GHz; Mobo: MSI X99A SLI Plus; Cooler: Cryorig H5 Ultimate; RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury Black; GPU: MSI R9 380 4GB; Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Window; SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 256GB and 500GB; HDD: WD Blue 1TB; PSU: EVGA 750W P2

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 29UM57; Headset: HyperX Cloud II; Keyboard: Gamdias Hermes Mechanical; Mouse: Zowie EC2-A

• 2 weeks later...

I just used the Extreme Power Supply Calculator, I put in my values in as accurate as I could which is pretty close. And came out the "recommended" wattage is 450, which the load wattage was 400. I have currently have a Corsair GS600 that is not modular. I just ordered a CX500M which is modular because I need to clean up my setup. is 500 watts really enough? Or should I return it and get a 750 watt. Also does bronze, silver, or gold really matter? 

• 4 months later...

hey guys please help me, i read some article that some PSU supports multicore processors and some supports dual core, this psu has 650w and i have 601w on my calculater and it has a description that it supports dual core, should i buy it ? please help me to know how to choose the right psu for any system.

trying to find a good 650 to 750 w psu to replace my 460w cooler master psu with full modular black cables and 8 to 10 sata conectors here is what my system is

mobo asus z97 deluxe/usb3.1
cpu i7 4790k oc to 47 and uncore to 46
memory G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400
vid caed NVIDIA GeForce GT 740
tv tuner Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 (8851)
sound Sound Blaster Z
Silverstone ECU01 PCI-E Gen 2.0 Card w/ 2 x Internal 19-Pin USB3.0 10Gbps Ports requires a sata conector
ssd G.SKILL FM-25S3-240GPFS
hdd1 500gb wd green
hdd2 500gb wd green
odd 1 lg blue ray burner
odd 2 lite on dvd burner

that's what I have now. here is what I want to add

ek predator 240
hdd 3 2tb wd red
hdd 4 2tb wd red
memory G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400

On 2/18/2016 at 6:03 PM, Jetski said:

hey guys please help me, i read some article that some PSU supports multicore processors and some supports dual core, this psu has 650w and i have 601w on my calculater and it has a description that it supports dual core, should i buy it ? please help me to know how to choose the right psu for any system.

Rule 1: All PSU calculators are trash.

Also, all PSUs support all core counts assuming they have the appropriate connectors.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/18/2016 at 9:03 PM, Jetski said:

What's important is that the power supply has the appropriate connectors and can handle the electrical load. The "support" for dual or multicore CPUs is purely marketing. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

• 1 month later...

What PSU do I need?

ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3

AMD FX-6300 3,5 GHz

8 GB DDR3 RAmM 1866 Mhz

Seagate SSD

1 TB HDD 7200 rpm Seagate

GTX 750 TI

• 2 weeks later...

Which PSU would you recommend me for:

MOBO>ASUS M5A97 R2.0

CPU>AMD FX 6300 (O.C. 3.8gHz)

GPU>AMD radeon HD 5850 Sapphire Extreme Edition 1GB

RAM>Kingston HyperX Fury 1x8Gb 1866mHz

HDD>Seagate Baracuda 320Gb

Have in mind that i will upgrade my PC with nVidia GTX 970/980,  AMD FX 8xxx and some 1TB HDD...

Also i want a modular or half modular PSU, and to fit in my price range (up to 60-70$)...

Thanks in advance........

• 4 weeks later...

Hello 

I'm looking for a modular ztandard size psu with 700w

For around 100€

Hi everyone, Im new to the gaming world and recently bought a 'gaming' laptop for about £400.

Specs:

8gb lpddr3 RAM

Intel i7 3630qm Ivy bridge @ 3.4ghz

Nvidia Geforce GTX 660M  2GB GDDR5

500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD.

I have bought an EGPU system along with a desktop GTX 480  as well because I couldn't play some games on the laptop even at lowest settings. ( £39 for gtx 480 + Externel GPU V8 Beast)....

My question:   The GTX 480 requires at the minimum 600 watts @ 42 amps...   Would this item do the trick?   Also how true is it that this EGPU setup would require double the power supply requirement?  Also would energy bills be rinsing my dads wallet regarding to the PSU I choose or would it only take out as much power it requires?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALPINE-BLUE-850W-42amp-PEAK-8-PIN-2x4-PIN-2x-6PIN-120mm-FAN-LONG-CABLED-PSU-/141881668803?hash=item2108ce74c3:g:VMQAAOxy63FSoghy

Any help would be appreciated!

Can anyone help me?

i need an ATX 500w psu with a 4-pin cpu connector and a 6-pin pcie connector.

I can't find any on the web

I would need a suggestion!

Psu in my dell t3500 just died and I would need a new one. But I don't wan't dell's original Psu since it's more expensive. I would like to put standard ATX psu (400/430W). Wich psu should I buy??

Motherboard need's 20 pin and 2x 4 pin cpu.

And my prize range is under 55$ (It can be used psu from ebay)

My specs:

mobo: t3500

cpu: l5630

gpu: hd 6950

16Gb (4x4Gb) ddr3 ecc reg. memory

• 3 months later...

Hi guys,

I want to buy 1000w power supply,

wich do u prefer?

• 2 weeks later...
On 31.5.2016 at 5:26 PM, Nicraft said:

Can anyone help me?

i need an ATX 500w psu with a 4-pin cpu connector and a 6-pin pcie connector.

I can't find any on the web

Really? I think every psu has those, or atleast 4+4 cpu connector and/or 6+2 pcie connector.

Every saint got a past, every sinner got a future.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi... I'm Abhishek

I'm currently using my hp notebook laptop with 8 gigs of ram, amd 8670m graphics, Intel i3 5th gen....so i want to upgrade n use an external graphics card (gtx 950)...so what volt of psu should i go for???????

Plzzz help me out

Xigmatek X-Calibre 400W XCP-A400 power supply is enough for my system?

Cpu: Pentium G3258

Mobo: Msi h81M-P33

RAM: 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz

GPU: Sapphire R9 270X Dual-X 2G D5

SSD: Kingston SSDNOW v300