PSU's & finding the right one

450w? 750w? 1000w? What do you actually need when it comes to a PSU? Probably not as much as you think you do.

Buying the correct power supply these days is no longer as simple as buying the biggest one that you can afford. As technology progresses, the power draw of components is also decreasing meaning that the need for a huge PSU no longer exists.

80 Plus ratings

These are ratings of efficiency at 20%, 50% and 100% load. A PSU's function is to convert mains voltage AC current into 12V, 5V and 3.3V DC current. The ratings show the efficiency at which that process takes place. 

7VyksyV.png

Source: wikipedia.org

It is advised that you purchase at least an 80 Plus PSU. However there is speculation that above that mark, the price difference between for example a 80 Plus Bronze unit and an 80 Plus Gold unit far exceeds the savings that will be achieved over a 3-5 year period. 

Connectors

Though not really an issue with most systems, if you're building a multiple expansion card setup such as a 3 way graphics configuration, you'll want to make sure there are sufficient connectors on the unit. Further information can be found on the manufacturers website.

So how big?

For most single GPU setups, a 500-600w PSU is normally sufficient. Above there it really depends on what you're putting in. Pumps for water cooling can draw a decent amount of power as can fan controllers. This calculator often gives a good idea of what you need. 

Haswell compatibility

Intel's 4th generation Core i5 and Core i7 processors; codename 'Haswell' have lowered sleep states meaning that the CPU will draw even less power than any previous generation of CPU. This proves troublesome for some PSU's as they cannot maintain a stable voltage on especially the 3.3v and 5v rails. Most PSU manufacturers by now have released an official document designating 'Haswell compatibility'. Read more here.

80 plus titanium? Did that just recently come out?

Yeah. Early 2012, Delta Electronics made the first Titanium server PSU for Dell. Super Flower sent one to Ecova a few months later that achieve Titanium as well: http://www.super-flower.com.tw/news_detail.php?class=1&sn=20〈=

SF also had shown it off in Computex this year (the Leadex that is being shown in one of the images is platinum, btw). http://www.techpowerup.com/185028/super-flower-shows-off-first-80-plus-titanium-psu.html

That is an awesome calculator, it literally recommended me the PS I was actually going to buy. Shows I am not to hardware illiterate ;) Great guide as well.

Asus ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming || AMD Ryzen R5 3600 || Cooler Master Hyper 212+ || 16GB G. Skill RAM 3133Mhz (OC) || Samsung 850 || Seagate 500GB &1TB HDD || EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 FTW || Cooler Master 500w power supply || Fractal Design Define R4 Windowed - Blackout Edition

24" Dell S2340M + Apple Cinema Display || Corsair K65 RGB || Logitech G602

are they going to go 90 plus ratings???

no it would make it too easy to understand.

they went 80+ and a color instead of going 82+ , they re gonna keep going with this

Anything I write is just a comment, take is as such, there is no guarantees associated with anything I say.

ATX Portable rig (smaller than prodigy(LOL)) :  Nmedia 2800 | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h  | Corsair HX1000 | Scythe Big Shuriken | i5 3570K  |  XFX R9 290 DoubleD | Corsair Vengeance 32GB

Good job @Windspeed36 :-D let's hope people read this before asking that old "will this do" question!

On a different note, isn't it a bit strange that the rating system keeps going up in precious metals but then all of the sudden at the top sit good old titanium, which is more of a heavy use industrial metal...

they ran out of recious metal probably...

Anything I write is just a comment, take is as such, there is no guarantees associated with anything I say.

ATX Portable rig (smaller than prodigy(LOL)) :  Nmedia 2800 | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h  | Corsair HX1000 | Scythe Big Shuriken | i5 3570K  |  XFX R9 290 DoubleD | Corsair Vengeance 32GB

For a power supply calculator, I would strongly recommend PSUCalc instead. It's developed by Phaedrus from OCN (along with FiX, who programmed it) and unlike other calculators, it doesn't overestimate wattages. While the outervision calculator isn't too bad, I still find the recommend wattages are higher than it actually needs to be, mainly because the programmed power consumption values are so high (a HDD for example, rarely pulls more than 20w).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

That is an awesome calculator, it literally recommended me the PS I was actually going to buy. Shows I am not to hardware illiterate ;) Great guide as well.

Same here, it recommended the PSU that I have :)

CPU: i5 4690K  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X UD3H   Memory: G.Skill (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866   Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" SSD/Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM   GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti SC 2GB   Case: Cooler Master CM 690 II (Black) ATX Mid Tower   PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650M 650W 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified   Optical Drive: MSI DH-24AAS-17 R DVD/CD Writer   Operating System: Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)

would a 600w be enough for a xfx hd 7950, amd 8350, h80i and normal hard drives 3 tb

For a power supply calculator, I would strongly recommend PSUCalc instead. It's developed by Phaedrus from OCN (along with FiX, who programmed it) and unlike other calculators, it doesn't overestimate wattages. While the outervision calculator isn't too bad, I still find the recommend wattages are higher than it actually needs to be, mainly because the programmed power consumption values are so high (a HDD for example, rarely pulls more than 20w).

I think overestimating values is better than underestimating. 

I'm searching through PSUs (still a building newb) and I came across Seasonic M12II 620w bronze - http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151095 if you have time would you mind telling me what all of the specs mean and if it sounds like a sure sale? All of the reviews seem good (finally).

What do you specifically not understand? 

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

would a 600w be enough for a xfx hd 7950, amd 8350, h80i and normal hard drives 3 tb

Yes.

I would say keep it simple for those who dont get technical.No video card and overclocking?under 500 watts.

• 3 weeks later...

Guys can you help me out?

I'm going for a new build an the last thing I'm missing is the psu decision... I was thinking about corsair hx750 but now I'm thinking the 850w is probably safer and more future proof...

ASUS Maximus VI Formula

Intel core i7 4770k @???

Noctua NH-D14

ASUS GTX 660ti

PNY 9800 GTX

16gb ram gskill

1ssd

4 hd sata

Case: Fractal Design XL R2

Guys can you help me out?

I'm going for a new build an the last thing I'm missing is the psu decision... I was thinking about corsair hx750 but now I'm thinking the 850w is probably safer and more future proof...

ASUS Maximus VI Formula

Intel core i7 4770k @???

Noctua NH-D14

ASUS GTX 660ti

PNY 9800 GTX

16gb ram gskill

1ssd

4 hd sata

600w will be fine: Silverstone Strider Plus? 

Really? I was thinking on adding later as a save for my ideal build:

GTX 780 + Quadro 4000 or 2000

New builds with a single GPU really need no more than 500 watts. Here take a look at this link, recommended PSU's for every watt level. http://www.overclock.net/t/183810/faq-recommended-power-supplies

We need manufacturers to focus more on the 300-500watt range especially as power consumption will go down considerabily in the coming years. Apart from the crossfire/SLI guys no one needs these 600-1000watt monsters. And those guys are in the minority so I don't understand why most of the quality units have such a high wattage! Lots of power is spilled by this globally cause a 800watt monster has terrible efficiency when it is idling at say 50-100watt with modern hardware. We need some proper power consumption education around the techforums so good initiative OP!

Really 600? I feel insecure about that because I was thinking on adding later as a save for my ideal build:

GTX 780 + Quadro 4000 or 2000

At least the GTX 780...

That's why I'm thinking the Corsair 860AX would be more future proof...

I don't have the silver stone available here in Rio...

New builds with a single GPU really need no more than 500 watts. Here take a look at this link, recommended PSU's for every watt level. http://www.overclock.net/t/183810/faq-recommended-power-supplies

We need manufacturers to focus more on the 300-500watt range especially as power consumption will go down considerabily in the coming years. Apart from the crossfire/SLI guys no one needs these 600-1000watt monsters. And those guys are in the minority so I don't understand why most of the quality units have such a high wattage! Lots of power is spilled by this globally cause a 800watt monster has terrible efficiency when it is idling at say 50-100watt with modern hardware. We need some proper power consumption education around the techforums so good initiative OP!

Also, I realize that idle wattage would be low... but I'm an architect/photographer/gamer working wit AutoCAD, REVIT, Blender, 3DStudio, SketchUp, Lumion (realtime gpu rendering), Artlantis, Sony Vegas, Adobe CSS, Lightroom and soon to be running BF4 :)

The built is going to be as I mentioned above, the only 2 things I didn't decide yet are the RAM memory (thinking about the Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 2400MHZ, guidance and critics are welcome :)) and the PSU.

Since in my office my Xeon Workstation is always at the limit, 100% in all cores and 100% in the triple channel 21gbs of RAM (we're going o upgrade it to 24gbs...). I'm pretty sure that I'll be maxing my pc at home as well... that's why I'm not too worried about idlying since that's rare, I'll probably be running at full load or 80% most of the time...

Also, I realize that idle wattage would be low... but I'm an architect/photographer/gamer working wit AutoCAD, REVIT, Blender, 3DStudio, SketchUp, Lumion (realtime gpu rendering), Artlantis, Sony Vegas, Adobe CSS, Lightroom and soon to be running BF4 :)

The built is going to be as I mentioned above, the only 2 things I didn't decide yet are the RAM memory (thinking about the Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 2400MHZ, guidance and critics are welcome :)) and the PSU.

Since in my office my Xeon Workstation is always at the limit, 100% in all cores and 100% in the triple channel 21gbs of RAM (we're going o upgrade it to 24gbs...). I'm pretty sure that I'll be maxing my pc at home as well... that's why I'm not too worried about idlying since that's rare, I'll probably be running at full load or 80% most of the time...

If you are sure you will be running full bore all the time then yes idle power consumption is less of a concern. But most of the people idle/browse/office a lot more than they game/render/edit. So you will be having a 780 and a quadro on one motherboard? And what cpu?

If you are sure you will be running full bore all the time then yes idle power consumption is less of a concern. But most of the people idle/browse/office a lot more than they game/render/edit. So you will be having a 780 and a quadro on one motherboard? And what cpu?

As I meantioned above:

ASUS Maximus VI Formula

Intel core i7 4770k @??? (will be be ocying it but I've never done it before and probably will be using the ASUS 4 way noob mode since im afraid I don't have yet enough knowledge not o burn everthing down... :)

Noctua NH-D14

ASUS GTX 660ti

PNY 9800 GTX

16gb ram gskill or Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 2400MHZ ????

1ssd

4 hd sata

As I meantioned above:

ASUS Maximus VI Formula

Intel core i7 4770k @??? (will be be ocying it but I've never done it before and probably will be using the ASUS 4 way noob mode since im afraid I don't have yet enough knowledge not o burn everthing down... :)

Noctua NH-D14

ASUS GTX 660ti

PNY 9800 GTX

16gb ram gskill or Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 2400MHZ ????

1ssd

4 hd sata

I don't really now the power consumption of a quadro card. Saw 150watt for quadro 4000 somewhere so I'll assume that. Add another 150 for the 660ti. 120 for cpu and motherboard maybe. .. Ram.. Hdds.. Yea 600 will do fine. Even with 780. But scratch 780, roll with the 660ti till 20nm comes along and enjoy doubling of performance.

Also never use auto oc. It sets too much voltage on the cpu which will cause hight temps and high power consumption. Learn to overclock, which is very easy to learn, just follow a guide, or don't oc at all.