Need to help to find small and cheap HTPC.

Hi LTT.

I've recently moved into my own apartment and therefore I need HTPC for my TV. Previously I've been watching movies and TV shows off of my computer but those days are over.

I was hoping you guys could give me some suggestions of what to by from the following information I've provided.

Setup:

All media content is stored on a NAS running Debian with a smb share.

If the HTPC unit you guys will suggest has an ethernet port I'll run a cable to it.

I don't have a AVR yet, so the HTPC unit will be connected to the TV directly via HDMI.

Requirements:

- Cheap

- Power efficient

- Small

- Can run REMUX movies without any problem. (>25GB movie files)

Budget:

$140, that's for a complete setup including something like a power brick etc.

This is more like a temporary HTPC solution. I'd like to build a proper one at some point.

So what are your suggestions?

Cheers Shaqalac.

NAS build log: Gimli, a NAS build by Shaqalac.

Mechanical keyboards: Ducky Mini YotH - Ducky Mini

Try to look at system with AMD Kabini 5350 (25W 4core APU). You can get this APU + MoBo for under $100 and you can also power it just with power brick if you get that Asrock MoBo, so no need for PSU.

Try to look at system with AMD Kabini 5350 (25W 4core APU). You can get this APU + MoBo for under $100 and you can also power it just with power brick if you get that Asrock MoBo, so no need for PSU.

I'm not completely sure what AsRock motherboard you're referring to.

Right, maybe I should mention I'm from Denmark and here everything is a bit more expensive. The CPU and the motherboard is $122, so that doesn't leave much for the remaining components. How much is a power brick like the one you mentions and could you link to one that's powerful enough for this CPU and motherboard. Besides from that I will still have to acquire some RAM and storage for the OS.

I would really not want to exceed my budget.

Right, maybe I should mention I'm from Denmark and here everything is a bit more expensive. The CPU and the motherboard is $122, so that doesn't leave much for the remaining components. How much is a power brick like the one you mentions and could you link to one that's powerful enough for this CPU and motherboard. Besides from that I will still have to acquire some RAM and storage for the OS.

I would really not want to exceed my budget.

You will need 19V power brick which is around $20-30. But if your budget is really small you should look at some NUCs like Intel or Zotac.

Something like this:

http://www.alza.sk/zotac-zbox-bi320-barebone-d1774940.htm#popis

this one does not include RAM and storage so if you take this you will have to get SODIMM modules and 2,5" drive.

It has Intel HD graphics on Haswell chip so IntelHD 4xxx which should have no problems with 1080p videos at all.

Its hard to get in your budget though :D

I can only find those android devices that work like small HTPCs http://www.alza.sk/evolveo-smart-tv-box-q4-android-smart-tv-box-d1480641.htm#popis

You will need 19V power brick which is around $20-30.

Yeah, that'll exceed my budget.

I know it's tight but that's what I can put aside to a HTPC at the moment. Then you might say, why not wait 6 months until I've saved some money and buy a proper HTPC? That's just not going to happen, I need a quick and dirty solution now.

Would something like the new Raspberry Pi 2 be completely ridiculous for a small HTPC?

Yeah, that'll exceed my budget.

I know it's tight but that's what I can put aside to a HTPC at the moment. Then you might say, why not wait 6 months until I've saved some money and buy a proper HTPC? That's just not going to happen, I need a quick and dirty solution now.

Would something like the new Raspberry Pi 2 be completely ridiculous for a small HTPC?

It would work. I dont know how well the new one performs but I heard the old one had problems with 1080p playback. This new however looks like it could handle it.

It would work. I dont know how well the new one performs but I heard the old one had problems with 1080p playback. This new however looks like it could handle it.

A friend of mine has the B+ is think it's called.

It's overclocked a bit and handle 1080p quite well, it's not slow in the menu nor is it fast.

The Raspberry Pi 2 looks a bit more promising though but I'm not sure, that's why I went here for suggestions.

Have you looked into NUC sized computers? There a quite a bit of options, don't know about Denmark specifically though.

Also, is it for streaming or just local playback? Do you have a media centre software in mind? If it's just local, it can stream but there are limitations, have you heard about Kodi (xbmc)? It can require some tinkering, and there are android boxes that allow for playback of full bluray rips.

Have you looked into NUC sized computers? There a quite a bit of options, don't know about Denmark specifically though.

I did take a quick look at a NUC but they also exceed my budget.

Don't know about NUC sized computer as I don't know what alternatives there is.

Also, is it for streaming or just local playback? Do you have a media centre software in mind? If it's just local, it can stream but there are limitations, have you heard about Kodi (xbmc)? It can require some tinkering, and there are android boxes that allow for playback of full bluray rips.

It is for local playback. My NAS and HTPC will be on the same wired network.

My friend is running Kodi on his Raspberry Pi B+, so I can get some help from him to set it up if I can't figure it out myself.

So, yeah, I have considered Kodi and if I go for the Raspberry Pi 2 I'll probably install OSMC as OS. There is a downside to this though, as far as I know Kodi doesn't support Netflix (or Netflix doesn't support Kodi). If I want to be able to use my Netflix as well is there an solution with Kodi or an alternative software?

It is for local playback. My NAS and HTPC will be on the same wired network.

My friend is running Kodi on his Raspberry Pi B+, so I can get some help from him to set it up if I can't figure it out myself.

So, yeah, I have considered Kodi and if I go for the Raspberry Pi 2 I'll probably install OSMC as OS. There is a downside to this though, as far as I know Kodi doesn't support Netflix (or Netflix doesn't support Kodi). If I want to be able to use my Netflix as well is there an solution with Kodi or an alternative software?

You can always check out the kodi forums (http://forum.kodi.tv/) if that is something you are interested in. They probably can answer your questions better than I can.  But yes, netflix seems to be an issue for their software, well more so the OS being used (linux variants). There are work-arounds, but that can get messy, If you were using windows or OSX, its pretty easy.

I understand you budget constraints. Its tough to do Power Efficiency + Cheap + Capabilities. If you want cheap and capable, it would be best to look at a used computer with an appropriate video card. 

I understand you budget constraints. Its tough to do Power Efficiency + Cheap + Capabilities. If you want cheap and capable, it would be best to look at a used computer with an appropriate video card. 

I understand that very well and I realise I'm asking for a lot for < $140. But that's what I can afford at the moment.

I am looking for some second hand hardware as @WereCat mentions.

Power efficiency is a big concern, right now I'm using my 2500K and 7950, which is way overkill on performance and power to pay a movie, plus it's quite loud as well.