(LTT Exclusive) Directory Watchdog

Opcode

So out of sheer boredom I wrote up the first infancy of a new software known as "Directory Watchdog".

djX1YGX.png

What does it do?

Directory Watchdog does exactly what the name implies. It monitors any selected directory (recursive) on your machine for file changes.

What is it good for?

It's actually quite good of keeping track of a directory (even an external hard drive) to make sure nothing has tampering with your sensitive files. Or maybe you've downloaded a piece of software that seems fishy? Just setup Directory Watchdog to monitor your C:\ drive to ensure that the software is not planting malware.

Which platforms will it run on?

It's built for Windows. I can add Linux support tho I've decided not to tamper with it as Linux is pretty locked down on its own.

How much does it cost?

Nothing. It's absolutely free for non-commercial use. Tho I will accept donations in the form of U.S. Newegg Gift Cards (if this is allowed here).

download_button.png

Current Build: 1.2

Build Date: 2/22/2015

VirusTotal

* Note: Chrome and Firefox may flag it as malware (false positive).

** Do not run the software within a directory that you're monitoring.

*** This software is pretty much in Beta. So you may experience bugs.

Nice I will try the software and report bugs if there's any.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Your flags at the bottom are quite alarming. ._.

The first one is due to false positives (probably the most alarming).

The second is due to the software itself logging any file changes to a log file. So when the software logs a change it will also log the change of the log file.

The third is because of a Windows restriction. You cannot monitor within the Windows or Program Files directories without elevated privileges.

The first one is due to false positives (probably the most alarming).

The second is due to the software itself logging any file changes to a log file. So when the software logs a change it will also log the change of the log file.

The third is because of a Windows restriction. You cannot monitor within the Windows or Program Files directories without elevated privileges.

Sure, sure. I'm not saying I'm reporting this post. Just saying for any onlooker, to see flags like that on a program written by a member of the forum, it might be a bit concerning! 

Sure, sure. I'm not saying I'm reporting this post. Just saying for any onlooker, to see flags like that on a program written by a member of the forum, it might be a bit concerning! 

I added a VirusTotal to my main post.

Your flags at the bottom are quite alarming. ._.

Don't worry he has a virus total.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting program, what did you code it in?

Custom compiler consisting of C and Assembler.