Mantle review on intel cpus.

zappian

AMD gets a much bigger boost with Mantle.

If you look at percentages, possibly. If you look at actual averages, AMD is still a sore loser.

bf4_1920m.png

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

If you look at percentages, possibly. If you look at actual averages, AMD is still a sore loser.

-snip-

Trusting a random polish website. GG. 

BF4-Hi.png

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

>doesn't trust a benchmark because it's polish

>replies with a benchmark that isn't even comparable

The benchmark you provided is heavily GPU dependent, the results are not going to be as evident as a 1080p benchmark would show. Why do you think the FX-8350 and i7-4770k with the GTX 780 Ti match each other in performance? Not because the FX-8350 is a good CPU, I can assure you.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

The benchmark you provided is heavily GPU dependent, the results are not going to be as evident as a 1080p benchmark would show. Why do you think the FX-8350 and i7-4770k with the GTX 780 Ti match each other in performance? Not because the FX-8350 is a good CPU, I can assure you.

It's amusing that the FX8350 can stand toe to toe with it's price equivelant from Intel, as long as the said game/program can utilize all it's cores. But writing off AMD and just slagging them off is rather silly. If you actually look into AMD's FX architecture vs Intel's, they're not far off as some people think. For instance, Intel has only really made improvements over the past few years thanks to their access to better manufacturing processes, compared to AMD. Since they sold all their fab production plants off, and need to rely on a 3rd party vendor like Globalfoundries & TSMC.

http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

Guys if you could refrain from not turning this into an AMD vs intel flamewar that would be great.

I never mentioned AMD on the original post.

As you said - hatters gonna hate.

Anyway what other upcoming games are gonna support Mantle ?

Guys if you could refrain from not turning this into an AMD vs intel flamewar that would be great.

I never mentioned AMD on the original post.

That BF4 graph does highlight what I was saying earlier about how Mantle's superior multithread optimisation stands to really benefit i5s, AMD FX and Sandy Bridge E (like, oh look the 3970X), whereas I can't see it adding that much more benefit to a CPU that only has two cores and four threads.

That BF4 graph does highlight what I was saying earlier about how Mantle's superior multithread optimisation stands to really benefit i5s, AMD FX and Sandy Bridge E (like, oh look the 3970X), whereas I can't see it adding that much more benefit to a CPU that only has two cores and four threads.

It got a 20 fps boost on thief.

In some games its very significant.

How can you dislike 20 fps of free performance ?

Inst that relevant? Is That not a benefit?

I dont understand....

GTA V is rumored to support it.

Full list here:

http://videocardz.com/51018/exclusive-upcoming-games-support-mantle

Yay mass effect will get it! :D 

But i'm glad that mantle is still going. I was scared that AMD just used it to push dx12 along. Lets hope for a little api war :P 

Also, nice post Zappian Thanks. 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

GTA V is rumored to support it.

Full list here:

http://videocardz.com/51018/exclusive-upcoming-games-support-mantle

Huh Sims 4 has Mantle ? And how do you turn that ON ?

I aint a fan of the game, but a couple of days back i installed it to see whats all the fuss about, n im interested to see the performance difference (if any) with Mantle enabled.

>Throws in single player benchmark, GG. As zappian said don't turn it in a amd vs intel thread. That wasn't the point.

It got a 20 fps boost on thief.

In some games its very significant.

How can you dislike 20 fps of free performance ?

Inst that relevant? Is That not a benefit?

I dont understand....

Because that would have happened on any CPU, not just a low end. Thief uses six cores in Directx 11, I think it would have been interesting to see the performance difference on something like the FX 6300 or a i7 3930k. Something that shows off how effective Mantle is for cpus with more cores.

Like this could actually make a 8350 or a 5820k sensible purchases for gaming.

It's amusing that the FX8350 can stand toe to toe with it's price equivelant from Intel, as long as the said game/program can utilize all it's cores. But writing off AMD and just slagging them off is rather silly. If you actually look into AMD's FX architecture vs Intel's, they're not far off as some people think. For instance, Intel has only really made improvements over the past few years thanks to their access to better manufacturing processes, compared to AMD. Since they sold all their fab production plants off, and need to rely on a 3rd party vendor like Globalfoundries & TSMC.

GameGPU shows the opposite of what the rest have been showing, so they're wrong.

@zappian can you please stop testing 1080p with ultra settings & 15x MSAA? Do 720p/low settings and no MSAA. You're testing CPU performance, you gotta make it CPU bound.

Out of curiousity, why is so much stock being put into benchmarks that are largely based on GPU performance and not CPU performance...when the point of this thread is CPU performance? OP included...am I misunderstanding something fundamental?

Out of curiousity, why is so much stock being put into benchmarks that are largely based on GPU performance and not CPU performance...when the point of this thread is CPU performance? OP included...am I misunderstanding something fundamental?

I usueally run benchmarks at max settings so its more consistent throughout.

I dont really like forcing benchmarks .

Even thought the thief difference happened mainly thought reduced cpu overhead due to mantle if had to guess.

Nice little benchmark. However, I dislike the minimum fps drop. I'd rather have a high minimum fps than a high average or maximum fps.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

Nice little benchmark. However, I dislike the minimum fps drop. I'd rather have a high minimum fps than a high average or maximum fps.

Minimum fps spikes happen in benchmarks some times.

I honestly prefer the gain in 20 fps because the fps drop was random and probably not caused by mantle.

Heyyo,

I wouldn't doubt it if Mantle and DirectX 12 did give an overall better boost on the Intel i3 and AMD CPUs since it does tend to improve performance on lower end CPUs by sharing the workload better. My guess is heavier implementation of GPCPU.

If so? I think that's fantastic! Especially if they manage to make it so HSA (Heterogeneous System Architecture, aka AMD APU) could take advantage of the intergrated GPU when there's a discrete GPU installed on the system. It could potentially provide a good performance boost to those AMD APUs.. maybe same thing potentially with Intel CPUs since they've always got Intel HD Graphics or Intel Iris Pro GPUS intergrated into their CPUs. I doubt AMD Mantle would take advantage of Intel's iGPUs but maybe DirectX 12 will, kind of like what Lucid Virtu MVP attempts to do with current generation games, but it is a bit hit-or-miss since it's not implemented right into the Direct3D API like they promised with DirectX 12 performance improvements.

More importantly, does the Voodoo 4 32MB PCI support DirectX 12? :P

Best commercials ever tbh lol...

Heyyo,

My PC Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/sNPscf

My Android Phone: Exodus Android on my OnePlus One 64bit in Sandstone Black in a Ringke Fusion clear & slim protective case

Minimum fps spikes happen in benchmarks some times.

I honestly prefer the gain in 20 fps because the fps drop was random and probably not caused by mantle.

Oh, it wasn't caused my mantle? I understand minimum fps drops are quite random but could you run a few more benchmarks and test for a pattern? I don't have experience with mantle. And as far as the minimum vs. maximum fps opinion, I can't stand drops like that. I'd notice when my fps goes from 60 to 15 more than I would 40 to 25.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

Nice meme arrows bud :^)