WD Black WD1003FZEX different wieghts ?

cesrai
Go to solution Solved by Captain_WD,

Thanks.

Waiting for your feedback on the conflict.

OK I got some additional info from WD that just confirms what I have just said. The new releases of WD Black are indeed 0.45kg while the older ones are 0.69kg and the website is probably either referring to them or is not updated. The difference could be a result from a difference in the number of platters and other technological improvements, but as I said before - I cannot comment on the number, size and the materials of the platters that are used in the drives. 

TL/DR: 0.45kg drives should be the newer version of WD Black. The sheet that shows 0.69kg is probably not updated. :)

Hope this clarifies things,

Captain_WD.

1. The drives have to be from the same year and latest models (and I explained why the WD Blue might outperform the WD Black) on the same computer with the same program with nothing else running on them and completely empty.

1. Not my question, my question was how would you make tests to show real life results and fair results.

2. Both drives's weight is almost identical. I mentioned that I cannot comment on the number of platters, their capacity or the material that they are built from.

2. I know that but you giving me that soruce says that what they mentioned is true.

3. Benchmarking is a single process that tests the drive's speed in a perfect environment (sequential and random read/write speeds) with no extra processes running. As I mentioned WD Black's design (components, CPU, firmware) is designed not so much to beat other drives in simple speed, but to perform better under heavier loads (multiple processes, longer runs, heavier tasks, more intense usage, more hostile working environment in terms of temperature, vibrations, etc. and others). 

Captain_WD.

3. You told me that bout 6 or 5 times I memorized it.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

1. Not my question, my question was how would you make tests to show real life results and fair results.

2. I know that but you giving me that soruce says that what they mentioned is true.

3. You told me that bout 6 or 5 times I memorized it.

1. I guess you have to use it in everyday tasks both heavy and lighter to see if there is a difference, how do the two drives perform and if one is better than the other. I would try lighter things like moving multiple bigger files from drive to drive while playing a movie or some other media and then heavier tasks like running multiple storage-demanding programs while working with heavier files (editing, exporting, streaming, etc.)

2. I don't see anywhere in the article pointing out that the 1TB model of WD Black is using 800GB platters. It is mentioned that the WD Black line is adopting 800GB platters without any specific mention of the size or model number. Opening a drive up would give you the most accurate answer to how many platters does the 1TB have.

3. I'm sorry if that sounded rude or impolite. :) Just wanted to explain it as clear as possible. 

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

1. I guess you have to use it in everyday tasks both heavy and lighter to see if there is a difference, how do the two drives perform and if one is better than the other. I would try lighter things like moving multiple bigger files from drive to drive while playing a movie or some other media and then heavier tasks like running multiple storage-demanding programs while working with heavier files (editing, exporting, streaming, etc.)

1. Hmm.. that would take a lot of time and wont be very accurate as there are a lot of variables.

2. I don't see anywhere in the article pointing out that the 1TB model of WD Black is using 800GB platters. It is mentioned that the WD Black line is adopting 800GB platters without any specific mention of the size or model number. Opening a drive up would give you the most accurate answer to how many platters does the 1TB have.

2. Watch the video, he says that the black has 800GB platters so obviously it will have 2 platters.

3. I'm sorry if that sounded rude or impolite. :) Just wanted to explain it as clear as possible. 

Captain_WD.

3. Don't worry you're quite nice, it's just that specific article and video the gives me cringes, they have no source and some wrong information, like the WD Black not having any really technology difference than the WD Blue.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650